Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This The Right Thing???

HI my name is Tanisha and Im 31 years old ! I have been coming to this website for the pass couple off months and decided today to sign up. I have been thinking about the lapband surgery alot lately and came to the conclusion that this is the only real chance i have at a life again. i wasnt always 290 pounds. growing up i was a small child. thought high school and my early adult years i maintain a weight of 135. these last 7 years i have turn into body that i hate to look at. My social life is basically gone, cause i hate getting dressed up being the fat girl. I talked to my family about it and some are for and against it. Some say that i will be in pain afterwards,but to be honest with you nothing can compare to the pain i feel in my back when i walk!! I want to feel good about life again! I have tried my diets and diet pills and feel this is my last resort. I am currenlty not working so i will be a self-pay person. This is a big decision for me as i will be taking some money from my 401k to pay for this. Can anybody out there relate to my story?? Im not looking for anyone to make this decision for me, as i know it is mine choice. Is it normal to feel like this or am i being to hard in myself????

HI my name is Tanisha and Im 31 years old ! I have been coming to this website for the pass couple off months and decided today to sign up. I have been thinking about the lapband surgery alot lately and came to the conclusion that this is the only real chance i have at a life again. i wasnt always 290 pounds. growing up i was a small child. thought high school and my early adult years i maintain a weight of 135. these last 7 years i have turn into body that i hate to look at. My social life is basically gone' date=' cause i hate getting dressed up being the fat girl. I talked to my family about it and some are for and against it. Some say that i will be in pain afterwards,but to be honest with you nothing can compare to the pain i feel in my back when i walk!! I want to feel good about life again! I have tried my diets and diet pills and feel this is my last resort. I am currenlty not working so i will be a self-pay person. This is a big decision for me as i will be taking some money from my 401k to pay for this. Can anybody out there relate to my story?? Im not looking for anyone to make this decision for me, as i know it is mine choice. Is it normal to feel like this or am i being to hard in myself????[/quote']

I am self pay I have insurance but they don't cover surgery. I am not as heavy as you, but gave been over weight for the past 10 years and I'm tired of the constant battle. I have only told 4 people I'm only adding one more person to that group and that won't be until the day of surfer that's my aunt. I don't feel like people judging me and telling me I can lose without surgery. My husband wasn't on board but after talking to him and totally explaining it to him he understands my need for it. My mom supports me she had the surgery three years ago. My two best friends know. So look at ur history of constant battle and you will be able to carefully make your decision. Good luck!!!!

We are all here for different reasons, and yet we are all here for the same reason too.....because we have tried to loose weight on our own and failed, have lost weight and gained it back and then some, are feeling unhealthy, and have reached our emotional limits with our body.

I have not been banded yet (should happen this fall!!) and although I believe 100% this is what I need and want...some days I still am afraid of the unknown ahead. Asking questions on this website has helped me tremendously get the honest answers I have needed.

Good luck on your journey!

I too am self pay and I was banded this past Friday....and besides the excruciating gas pain that makes me think why did I do this? So far no regrets, I am looking forward to my journey once I get past this stage.

I too was a good size 140lbs before having my son 8yrs ago. After having him, instead of loosing, I ballooned up to 212lbs. I tried so many different diets and have been successful at losing, but after losing, I would gain it all back, so my biggest issue was maintaining the weight lost.....before deciding to have this surgery, I thought about it for 2yrs. did extensive research before I felt comfortable to say this is what I want to do. I feel this is a great tool to help achieve and maintain a healthy weight. And since I had gestational diabetes and was recently diagnosed as having impaired glucose; I said enough is enough, I don't want to get to the point where I must be on medications....

So again, this is your choice, this band is a tool to help us achieve our goals, and if it's available why not use it? People who can not walk uses Wheelchair to get around (that's a tool).....and some have pace makers to have their hearts function well and that too is a tool.....so why not use what is available to us to achieve our goals? Don't worry about others judging, cause its about you, about how you feel and how you want to feel once you achieve your goal....they don't have to know.....

So do your research and make sure you are very comfortable with your decision and that you are willing to make the necessary changes to live a bandster life......Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

hi there, its normal to waiver back and forth but i found that when i had done my homework, i felt very secure with my decision to get banded. i was a thin child too, but started having a little weight gain around 30 yrs old and it just went from a little to alot. im 54 now, i was banded last december starting at 225 lbs. i followed the dr.s rules 95% of the time and have had almost no discomfort at all. (the 1st 10 days felt like a badly pulled muscle, i didnt use the pain reliever after the 3rd day, didnt need to) im now 170 lbs, and my days just keep getting better and better ! i swim 3x a week, and im starting with a ymca running program ! (tommorrow ! Me ? a runner ?? No way !!!!) i no longer have sleep apnea, my digestive problems are gone, i get compliments on how i look all the time, ive gone from frumpy, stretchy old lady size 18-1x clothes to size 14 skinny jeans and cute attractive tops. need i go on ? My only regret is i didnt do it sooner ! You MUST make a decision for YOU, not based on others feelings , cause its not them that has to live in YOUR body. hope all goes well for, good luck !