Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Lap-banders close to Springfield

I am just getting started on the insurance thing but one thing the bariatric nurse told me is ALMOST a clincher for them to pay is if you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. SOOO..... I went to my primary physician on Monday and she called and had me scheduled for a consult to have a sleep study done, which is on the 26th I believe, and then it will be June 21st before they can actually do the study itself, which I was hoping they could get me in before then but she said not to submit to insurance until I have that info back. My doc seems to think that I do have sleep apnea. Which doc are you using? Are you just getting started as well?

I am just starting on this journey. I have an appointment with Dr Chris Dyas in Mobile on Monday May 15. I was suppose to go on the 8th but they called and cancelled that appointment. What a bummer that was.:cry Just another week to wonder if I am a good candidate or not. I feel like he is a good Doc, have read a lot about him and his cousin is my ortho doctor and I would trust him with my life in a heart beat.:confused:

Hi. I live in Springfield and Dr. Edwards is my doctor. I have finished all my prereqs and have an appointment this Tuesday to schedule the surgery. My insurance won't pay under any circumstances so I am doing self pay. I only started the process the end of April and I hope to have surgery the end of this month or first of June. It doesn't take long to schedule if you are not dealing with insurance issues. The cost is around $17,000.00. Have to pay up front and there is no payment plan. I am fortunate in the fact that we are selling a business and I can use some of the profit for this. Otherwise I don't know what I would do. I have done serious praying about this and whether it could work out to have the surgery.

For those of you in the area there is a seminar (free and the only thing that is free ha!) this coming Monday at 6PM in the Ambulatory Surgery Center at St. John's. I happened to see the ad in today's paper.

HTH.

Linda

It is costing me 17,000 to have it done out of my pocket. But the other way is 23,000. Plus the lapband is safer.

well everyone here it is i go see Dr. Ewards on June 6 he will than put me on that drink for two weeks and schedule my surgery to on that same day. Im all most there.nana7

I live in the Springfield area and was banded this last November in KC. I have been seeing Dr. Edwards for a couple of months now and he will continue my follow-up care. I also have UHC and have had no problem with surgery approval or get in-network benefits approval to see Dr. Edwards for my foll0w-up care (thanks to Donna:D ).

I am not on this site much, but can be emailed at debbs1973@msn.com. I will also be at the next Monday night support group meeting.

Good luck to you all!

-Debra

Hi.....I attended an informational public forum today at St. John's.

Cameron Hodges giving an overview of the types of gastric surgery.

I'm interested in the lap band and my husband found this site for me when we returned home today.

Any Springfield views/thoughts/opinions of your experience thus far?

I have Premier insurance and have worked at St. J for over 30 yrs.

No coverage for this procedure.

(which, let me just vent a second: we work for the institution that provides the service, endorses it, yet St. J's , Sister of Mercy created health plan will not support their own coworker family and recognize benefits to save our lives and eliminate comorbidities??!! :) :faint: ok, yes, I'm bitter....among other emotions regarding. Thanks for listening and if any

of St J insurance administrators are reading this, please listen. Please.)

I appreciate any replies and information you may have.

Thoughts about the lapband locally? Worst part of the experience?

Have been in touch with the surgery office in the Fremont bldg. Isn't Donna the best?! Love her. Have met Katie, too. Wonderful, smart, knows what she is talking about....

Will have to pay out of pocket (:P see above :cry )

and that is such a huge financial decision. Thoughts of others who have faced the same in Spfd? Regrets? Advice?

UN5,

I totally understand your frustration. I am a self-pay. Only because I have NO insurance. My husband (cerebral palsy) and myself (obese) can not get coverage.

Dr. Edwards is my surgeon. I HIGHLY recommend him. He has a great bedside manner, is very talented, and a great surgeon.

I have heard many insurance companies don't cover bariatrics, because people change insurance companies often. They think, "Why should they pay for another company to reap the benefits?" It's sickening, I know.

I have no regrets. I researched doctors in Kansas, Mexico, Ohio, and here. While I was the first in Springfield, I felt better being closer to home. It has been easier for followup too. There is a lot of pre-surgery stuff too. All day behavioral class, psych visits, dietician meetings....

The second Monday of each month is the support group. Feel free to come to that too. It's at St. John's surgery center (1229 E Seminole) in room 4B at 5:30pm.

I used Capitol One Health Finance for my loan. HTH.

Good luck on your road to good health!

I sure appreciate your encouragement and understanding the insurance frustration. I've heard only positive comments and opinions in reference to Dr. Edwards.....and espeically your viewpoint as a patient is one I regard highly.

So, there is a mtg tomorrow? What's it like? Mix of ages, genders?

Do they have a facilitator from St. J's?

What was your most difficult food item to cut out of your diet?

Do you still miss it or can you have it at times?

Does your life revolve around the lapband topic now? If so, do you get tired of it?

Are these questions too private in nature? Have you been asked things that you'd rather not discuss?

This is probably a good place to end my questions, then!:clap2:

THank you for listening!

Yes, there is a meeting at 5:30pm today. It's mostly RNY people, all ages, mostly women. Yes, they have some St John's people there. The leader of the group is a five year success RNY patient.

I am able to eat small amounts of most everything. The only think I really miss is chicken and scrambled eggs. They seem to stick and bother me the most. Also, drinking with meals was hard to give up, but I have done it.

People ask me about the lapband all the time. Probably because I was on TV with it. I haven't gotten tired of it yet. I am always sympathetic to those that are taking charge of their health.

I plan on going to the meeting. Good luck to you!

I am new to the community. I am planning on the lap band with Dr. Edwards in a couple of months and I am needing input from anyone that is post surgery and want to hear about your experience and success.

Hi Dennis,

I had the lap band surgery 6/5/06 with Dr. Edwards. Do you have any specific questions? There's not a lot of activity on this section of the board. Since the last two weeks of May I have lost 42 pounds. I know that is good but I do still feel a little discouraged. I have had two fills and I still feel like I can eat too much. I can eat anything without problems including bread and popcorn. All meats. I keep toying with the idea of having another fill. I think it's because I read on here about how restricted some people are and I think i should have more. But, I am losing steadiily so think I should leave well enough alone.

I had a terrible time staying on the preop diet so you probably don't want to talk to me about that part of it. I absolutely cannot stand Protein shakes of any kind or brand. Just looking at them makes me sick. I was not the star pupil.

Anyway, if you have specific questions let me know.

Linda

I recently moved to Springfield. I have had the band for one year and have lost 85 pounds. My goal is to loose 80-90 more. There have been no health repercussions whatsoever except my blood pressure going down! If you are considering and need someone to talk to, I would be happy to do so.