Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello every1. Im new here i have browsed around b4 getting some info. I have my consultation in a few weeks. I have decided to get the band and can not wait for this. I have been looking into the sugery for awhile and since im paying out of pocket that was tough too.

Hi and welcome. :)

Well there is a lot of info around here, and since youre just starting you should have plenty of time to learn a few things. I don't know how people can afford it out of pocket...yikes!!! Thank god for my insurance. Since you're self pay, how long do they make you wait before you get the surgery?

Welcome!! And good for u that is a huge decision! I just had the surgery 2 days ago I'm self pay as well...if u have any questions maybe I can help:)

Thanks.since im self pay im hoping to get most of it back income tax time. I took out a loan to have it done. They are saying i could have it in as little as 2 weeks after the consult(2 weeks for the liquid diet). When i started checking it out the insurance told me it would be 6 months. Thank u lana i will prob be asking alot of questions.

Hello. I am pretty new, as well, to both the band, and this sight. I was on this sight, which is invaluable, to find out all I could, before committing to the band, since I am also a "self payer". It's alot of money, and I wanted to make sure it was right for me, because I too, could not wait. I was already suffering the common symptoms of obesity, such as joint pain, sleep apnea, lethargy, and had lost my ambition to go out, and just have fun with my friends, like I used to. I looked fat, and felt fat. I don't know how the rest of my friends managed to get into menopause (we are in our 50's) and not gain the weight that I had. Everyone else looked great. It was hard to admit to myself, but it had definately played a part in my recent seperation. I was not going to let it have any more of me. There was just enough of the old me, left, and I wanted the rest, back, from this place I was in. My band was 8/21/12, just over a month ago. Now, I will be honest, the recovery was more than alot of people led me to believe. Dont feel bad, and don't rush, if you seem to have post op pain, more than "others". I had post op pain, mostly where the band and port were, than the surgical sights, for a good 3 weeks. I still have alot of gas and gas pains, but they are finally getting better. Gas pains, on the left side of your abdomen, are very painful, can be sharp, and you just have to let yourself lay down, and they will finally leave you. I felt alot better if I layed on my right side. I took 2 weeks off of work, but I wished I had taken 3. Walking more than 6-8 blocks caused pain where my port is. I called it jiggling, when I spoke to my Dr. He said it is very common, the movement, back and forth, with the new port, rubbing against the inside of your belly, until it is fully healed. All of my pain, what I thought was a slow recovery, was in fact, more normal than the people who seemed like super human. I read about people returning to work in 4 days, no need for pain pills, and walking up to 2 miles a day after 2 weeks. Believe me, you need a good month to 6 weeks. That is why you dont get your first fill for 6 weeks. You are not healed until then. Give yourself all the time, and patience that YOU need, and don't pay attention to those others. You will take as long as it takes, there are no shortcuts. Since we are self payers, we don't need any problems, that rushing may cause. That was my biggest concern, scared that my band would slip, or something would happen to my port. I don't have the money to fix those things. Take your time, and take care of yourself, and you will do fine.