Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hurt Myself Exercising

I need some help. I went to the doctor yesterday thinking I'm having a heart attack and find out I probably strained and hurt my pec muscles. They weren't sure because it doesn't show up in an X-ray. I'm pretty sure I strained them. My question is can I still use the elliptical and how long will this pain last it's horrible.

I need some help. I went to the doctor yesterday thinking I'm having a heart attack and find out I probably strained and hurt my pec muscles. They weren't sure because it doesn't show up in an X-ray. I'm pretty sure I strained them. My question is can I still use the elliptical and how long will this pain last it's horrible.

I was in a very similar situation a few weeks ago. Thankfully my pain was on the right side and I didn't think i was having a heart attack. If it's truly a muscle sprain, It should go away in a few days and you'll completely forget it ever hurt you. I'd stay away from ANY excercise that puts strain on your pecs until your pain recedes.

The elliptical shouldn't hurt anything, I use mine all the time. Just don't do any weight lifting for a few days. Try warming a towel and laying it across your chest it will help ease the pain. For me a Sport Bra helps when I pull muscles in that area- the girls pull less on the muscle. I have pulled muscles several times since I started weight training on the total gym. When I do I wait till the pain starts to ease up then I hop back on and take it easy the first time and usually I do fine.

Don't stop doing anything that will work the muscle, that will cause more problems in the future. Just try not to over work it and inflame it more.

If you doctor oks it advil will help get rid of the inflammation faster. My doctor says it is ok to take it as long as it is not an every day thing.

i've found that if you keep moving you feel better. stopping would just give your muscles time to ache but if you continue you will heal faster and your muscles will get stronger. i would maybe just take your work out down some. if it hurts to bad, STOP.

Thanks so much for info everyone, taking some Advil and waiting it out. Hopefully by Monday I can get back to the gym. But I will be careful and take it slow.