Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got Me Thinking!!

If some surgeons do surgery with out the hard liquid diets .... And the liquid diets or to shrink the liver... Does that mean that the surgeon who require the liquid diet are not that experienced and can not do surgery on a big liver???? Got me thinking!!!

My doctor did not promote a 2-week or longer pre-surgery diet. He said to just eat "reasonable" the week before. I researched for an excellent general surgeon who performs lap band surgery; NOT just a surgeon who ONLY does lap band surgery. My 2 cents is that it does make a difference.

I just don't understand if its a big part of the surgery why not all doctors require this :-/

I just don't understand if its a big part of the surgery why not all doctors require this :-/

Because just like every aspect of this surgery, from pre op requirements to post op diet requirements and the food guidelines to follow after, every surgeon has their own ideas what works best.

...but a pre op diet to shrink the liver is pretty common.

My Dr didn't require a liquid diet, but a 1200 cal diet 2wks before surgery. I have been dieting all through my required 6mth diet and had lost 19lbs and 6 wks ago I was seeing surgeon and he asked that I lose 5 more lbs, that was 10 lbs ago so not really worried about 1200 cal diet, but I will continue doing what I've been doing, down another lb today. Down 30lbs so far.

I agree with Missy, and you also have to take into account the person's weight and BMI. Some people who are doing this surgery are about 400lbs and some are in the 200's.....so the heavier person's liver is most likely more enlarged, thus some doctors are not willing to risk that (safe practice, a really good thing). That's why some people are doing a 5 to 4 wks pre-op diet and some are not required to do none at all.

I believe about 2wks ago, I read on this forum, one of the members of this site, went into surgery

(given general anesthetic and was cut open), only to get sewn back without a band in place because she was told her liver was too big and it was too risky. So if I were you, I would definitely double check with my Dr. and follow his/her recommendations to avoid a similar situation.

My Dr. for example have placed many of his patients on a pre-op diet, and many were not. Same Dr. but treats each patient on a case by case basis.......and he's a very well experienced Surgeon.

It also means that the Dr may be quite happy to revise from a laparoscopic procedure to an open procedure if they discover that your liver is in fact too big. You on the other hand may not be so happy when you wake up and discover that you have a much bigger scar than you anticipated and probably a lot more postop pain and a more difficult recovery.

Thanks guys great info!

It also means that the Dr may be quite happy to revise from a laparoscopic procedure to an open procedure if they discover that your liver is in fact too big. You on the other hand may not be so happy when you wake up and discover that you have a much bigger scar than you anticipated and probably a lot more postop pain and a more difficult recovery.

I will make sure Dr knows, Oh hell no!

No lap, no anything! Ty for making sure I talk to Dr before hand.

My Dr only required (for me) a liquid diet for 24 hours before surgery...nothing after midnight. I triple checked and sure enough it was right. I personally chose to start my liquid diet on Sunday. My surgery is on Thursday. So 4 days liquid. I just want to be super sure I'm good for surgery. My BMI is just at 40. So I was told that was the reason for not doing more.

...well, and I lost weight during my 6 month diet.