Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bad to cheat on preop?

I'm on my second week of my pre-op and today I just want to cheat so bad. I've been doing really good following everythin like I should, but today I just feel like I'm loosing it. I ate 1 square of a graham cracker and I feel guilty and later I'm going to the movies with my husband. And I'm already thinking about the popcorn and diet coke. Would it be bad if I was to have it just this one last time, before surgery. I have been doing so good. I guess I'm just trying to justify myself. But dang just one last time :faint: :faint: I don't know what do you guys think, :help:

Why is it the last time? I have popcorn when I want it. It's really not bad at all - PopSecret has the 100 calorie bags that are just the right amout. I think many people get this sense of dread because they feel they will never again have the food they enjoy. But it just isn't true. I can tell you from being on this side of the band that I don't feel deprived in the least.

If you want to have some popcorn at the movie, do it. Just get a small bag, no butter and a diet drink. The goal of your pre-diet is to have a quick drop in weight to reduce the amount of fat in your liver. The liver must be moved aside in order to access the part of your stomach that is to be banded, and if it is overly large due to fatty build up then they might not be able to do the surgery. This was my motivator to stick to the diet all I could.

My pre-op diet consisted of Protein drinks, slim fast and all the raw veggies and fruits I could eat. I was instructed to follow this 70% of the time, and when I got hungry I could have some carbs like Pasta or brown rice. I seriously don't see why some popcorn would destroy your diet. Nor does the graham cracker, just be careful not to make too many acceptions to your diet - you might find yourself unaware of just how many calories youre actually eating.

You're going to do fine. You only have a few more days to go - give it all you've got. After all, this IS the start of your journey!

Every doctors preop diet is different. I didn't have a preop diet, my doc said eat, so I did. We went to Charlie Browns Steakhouse the night before surgery and boy did I pig out lol. The only thing was, I had to stop 12 midnight (the night b/4 surgery). I honestly don't think you've messed it up but we should all try to stick with what ever your doc says.

Chriselda,

The purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver so that the doctor can retract it out of the way during banding. If he can't get your liver out of the way or you have too much fat in your liver, you'll wake up from surgery with all the symptoms and scars of surgery but without a band. You really don't want that, right?

As far as the diet soda goes, the current belief is that artificial sweeteners, while they don't add calories to your body, increase your desire for sweets and carbohydrates. Further, the carbonated gas in the soda stays in your body for a period of time. The surgery will be introducing enough gas into your system that you'll be uncomfortable, do you really want to inflict even more gas on yourself pre-operatively? Just say no. You do know you won't be able to have carbonated beverages after being banded, right?

Take a deep breath. Stay the course. You'll be glad you did. If you don't think you can handle a movie without popcorn or diet soda then my advise is to stay away from the theater and rent a movie for home.

Sorry for the sermon, I really don't intend to preach at you. The answer to your question about the popcorn is, no, it probably won't hurt you to do it once. The question is, will you be able to do it once? Or will it trigger your reflexes and cause a binge? Try to make it to surgery without breaking your diet. I think you'll be glad you did. The closer you can follow your doctor's orders, before and after surgery the better your chances of success. I think most bandsters will agree with me.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Thank you P-nut. I guess I just feel paranoid right now and I want everything to go well with surgery. I don't want them to tell me that they can't do it because I have to much fat around my liver. I do feel like I've lost a little and I feel , well in a way restriced. I have a Protein Shake in the am then a fruit mid morning, then 1 serv of ck breast 1 serv of green veggie, boiled egg mid after noon snack and a shake for dinner. I just thought that if I ate the popcorn, it would screw everything up. Yes your right a small bag without butter, OK !! Thank you!

Good girl :) But like Donna said, can you do it just once? I'm the type of person that doesn't just slip off the edge a bit then pull herself back up. Oh no.. I slide all the way down the mountainside! LOL

Best of luck to you Chris. Keep us posted on how you're doing ok? *hugs*

Thanks guys for replying. I feel that I do have the will power to have this one time and back on track tomorrow. I have done good all day except for that graham cracker. So I'll just have a small bag of popcorn no butter and no coke. I'll drink Water. Don't want to risk anything on having extra gas pain after surgery, lol !!

Naw, you didn't mess up. I go in on Friday for banding and have had no preop diet to follow. Just can't eat after midnight the night before.