Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does It Have To Be Optifast ?

hey, im getting banded in the next month or so and have started my diet just to get used to it,, im doing fatblaster, its working great and tastes great , but im worried it has to strictly be Optifast cuz it tastes horrid lol

Did your doctor put you specifically on Optifast? If so, can you ask him about using something equivalent?

If your doctor didn't specifically require Optifast, then yes, you're free to use whatever brand you like. Some of those Protein shakes are downright nasty. I know I had to try 3 or 4 before finding one I actually liked. (I really like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury brand)

Best wishes to you.

I think Optifast is the decision of the surgeon. It was horrid the first 2 days, then it got to be pretty good.....had to manipulate the vanilla one a bit - Decaf instant coffee. I even asked if I could go back on it (1 a day) post op......better than most of the other Protein Shakes I have personally tasted. I never thought I would say this but I just bought 2 more boxes of chocolate, to help me get thru until I am maintenance (plus helps with all the travel I do for work).

I was also told Optifast but when I phoned and called my Dr's office and asked if I could use Celebrity Slim (it's a lot cheaper) they said it was fine. I think the concern is that not all the so called Meal Replacement shakes have the correct nutrition in.

ahhh thats great thanks everyone, so it about the weight loss not shrinking my liver ? im worried im going to loose weight and not shrink my liver lol,, my ultra sound report says my liver is normal size, but im concerned my dr may still think its too big,, im really keen to get mt surgery :)

Just follow the plan and you will be okay. The preop diet is to shrink the liver.........in overweight people, the liver tends to be very fatty and it is a delicate organ that has to be moved during surgery, so they just want everything to be right. I came thru surgery with flying colors and recovery was a breeze, I was still worried about my liver and at my 1wk post op today, I even asked about the liver, she said it was just fine.

one week post ,, how are you feeling?? are you tired ?? i have my second appt with my dr tomorrow . my doc says ill only 1kg a week but that doesnt nake sense to me cuz every time i do shakes i loose upto 4 kg a week , is my dr just sayinf that so my expectarions arnt to high ?

I am feeling fine, I was super lucky, no pain at all from the moment I woke up, no gas pains (lots of burping and farting) and only did the pain killers post op day 1, napped for 2 days, slept on my side for 9hrs the first night........ I could have gone back to work last Thursday, but took a week off.

I wouldn't start shakes before required, just try to eat smart and healthy. You will be on a restrictive diet for at least 6 weeks pre and post, no use extending that. I was given no expectations on what to lose pre op and post op is for healing.......

thats awesome your feeling great,, hope im like that lol, how are you finding adjusting to the eatting habbits ? do you crave food alot ? i think that will be the hardest part for me

I have been on liquids for 3 weeks, the cravings are not that strong, but I would lick a cheeseburger if it was in front of me. I paid too much for this surgery not to be serious about my life changes. Post surgery, I haven't really been hungry at all.

lol,, yea since being on the shakes ivd been craving,, but weirdly healthy thknks like salads n tuna, i suppose technically after surgury we would be able to fit a cheeseburger in lol