Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lap Band, Have Questions

Hello -

So my husband (finally?) says out loud that I might want to consider lap band surgery. It worked for someone's mom, so maybe I should consider it.

After the initial shock and depression that he even mentioned this ..... I'm at the point where I'm at least considering it.

Until a couple of days ago, I would have said I would never consider weight loss surgery. It's too drastic. Surely I can lose this weight on my own. Reality check -- I've been overweight (to some degree) since 3rd grade. It's probably not going to happen on my watch. At least not without some serious intervention.

Some questions ...

What kind of scaring is there? 2-4 dots?

Can you feel the lap band around your stomach? Can you feel the fill port from the outside?

What happens when you are sick and you have to vomit? Can you actually vomit? This scares the hell out of me, btw.

How long do you wear it? The rest of my life? If so, does it need replaced at any point?

What are the complications that you have heard of? Give it to me straight, please! The lap-band websites are all gooshy happy about their product.

And is it realistic to eat portions like I have the lap band and be satisfied? Realistically, I have very poor Portion Control and no sensation of full until I've really overdone it. I don't know if I trust myself to even do this diet, if it exists, however I'll have to do it regardless, I guess.

My questions at this point are a little superficial, sorry.

Many Thanks ...

I can't answer your questions b/c. I have not been banded yet ,Oct 15 . I just wanted to tell you that I'm glad you're doing your homework.

There's a lot of people here who can answer your questions.

You can also sign up for a free seminar and they take questions at that time.

Good luck on your journey!

I have five incisions. I looked like frankenstein immediately after surgery, but the scars are healing nicely. And I am using scar jel to help. I can feel the port if I am feeling my stomach, but you can't see it. I had nausea the first couple of days and dry heaved, but I have been lucky and have not vomited yet... The band is in there for as long as you want it. You can have it removed, but why? food for me will never be under control, so it's staying in!

I am eating considerably less than before. I was probably eating 2500-3500 calories a day and now about 800-1200. You will eat a lot less, but you will be satisfied. It is a major lifestyle adjustment.

Everyone is different with their band on what they can eat, drink, etc. I highly recommend going to an information session offered by your doctor, see a bariatric nutritionist and a psychiatrist. All of these helped me a lot. As did this website.

Good luck!

What kind of scaring is there? 2-4 dots?- I have 5 very small, virtually unnoticeable, scars

Can you feel the lap band around your stomach? -no

Can you feel the fill port from the outside? -some people can, yes

What happens when you are sick and you have to vomit? -you try your hardest not to vomit because it can cause problems. If you're vomiting regularly, you contact your doctor immediately.

Can you actually vomit? This scares the hell out of me, btw. -I actually had to vomit once and couldn't

How long do you wear it? -forever

The rest of my life? -yes

If so, does it need replaced at any point? -that's hard to say, it's entirely possible at some point it could need to be replaced. It depends a lot on how old you are when it's placed and what type of wear and tear you put it through.

What are the complications that you have heard of? -The biggest and most common complication I hear of are slips, though keep in mind the majority of those are self induced and not the fault of the band. I've also heard of slips severe enough to require band revision or removal.

And is it realistic to eat portions like I have the lap band and be satisfied? -Without the band? Only you can answer that. With the band, we have to stick to a cup or less of food per meal.

Good questions!! Yep, I think this is forever, but I don't know if it will have to be replaced.

I have been able to vomit. Don't want to, but of course I never want to, LOL.

Scarring- 3 small incisions, one bigger one for my port. All healing nicely, and it's not like anyone is going to see my tummy anyways, LOL.

Can I feel my port? If I push hard, but you can't see it at all. Maybe if I get to goal, but again, no one is going to see my tummy.

Complications- like Missy said, a slipped band is the most common I think. Again, as she said, some stuff can be avoided by diligently following directions.

I am a lack of Portion Control person too. There is no way I could eat like I had the lapband without actually having it. With the lap band I do feel full longer. I still get hungry, but am satisfied with MUCH less than I used to be. I have so far lost 80 lbs, with about 80 lbs to go. I still fall with my nemesis, ice cream, which slips right past the band, but I'm a work in progress, and I'm progressing so much better than I ever have in the past!

Do go to an information session and meet with a surgeon and ask all the questions- write them down- and be on this forum to see others experiences.

Good luck!

Hello -

So my husband (finally?) says out loud that I might want to consider lap band surgery. It worked for someone's mom, so maybe I should consider it.

After the initial shock and depression that he even mentioned this ..... I'm at the point where I'm at least considering it.

Until a couple of days ago, I would have said I would never consider weight loss surgery. It's too drastic. Surely I can lose this weight on my own. Reality check -- I've been overweight (to some degree) since 3rd grade. It's probably not going to happen on my watch. At least not without some serious intervention.

Some questions ...

What kind of scaring is there? 2-4 dots?

i have 5 (incisions) that are very pale pink are maybe an inch long (the port incision is about 2 inches). rather have small scars than be obese any day.

Can you feel the lap band around your stomach? Can you feel the fill port from the outside? i cannot feel the band but the port is a hard spot on the side of my stomach (if you press on it, you can feel it. oh well, that is not a big thing in order to lose weight.

What happens when you are sick and you have to vomit? Can you actually vomit? This scares the hell out of me, btw.

you are not suppose to vomit (it could hurt the band and cause slippage but it takes alot of that as the band is actually sewn onto your stomach so its best not too. eating too much, too fast or too big of bites also causes this so you learn to eat like a bander does. slowly and chew alot.

How long do you wear it? The rest of my life? If so, does it need replaced at any point? its not meant to be took out

What are the complications that you have heard of? Give it to me straight, please! The lap-band websites are all gooshy happy about their product. any surgery has complications.

a dentist visit, a manicure appt...etc......need to keep an open mind. id take the risk of a (whatever) over me now being able to walk and dropping 6 pant sizess since june. depends on your attitude and what you do (eating right etc). sometimes things happen...but what if they dont??

And is it realistic to eat portions like I have the lap band and be satisfied? Realistically, I have very poor Portion Control and no sensation of full until I've really overdone it. I don't know if I trust myself to even do this diet, if it exists, however I'll have to do it regardless, I guess.

the band is a 3 inch plastic band, it will help you eat less. if you eat more, you will feel like crap, maybe throw up etc. its up to you to choose to eat right and make better food choices. if not, the band wont do much for you. its hard work but so worth it.

My questions at this point are a little superficial, sorry.

Many Thanks ...

you said you dont trust yourself, well honey you better and you will need to add want power. you will be the only one who can make you well. the band is not a miracle cure all and its not overnight. you have to make changes. if not, well, you will and can remain where you are.

read on it (good and bad) on websites and forums

go to a free seminar and see what they say.

all the best :)

remeber this is only a tool you still have to diet and change your life. you need less food to be no hungry and that works for me but I need to learn to cook again. there is noting to be scared of except no doing something and doing more damage to your health. Go to a semare that hospital give and all thesee question are anwsered.

Line-dancer

Kudos to your hubby. Sounds like he would like his life partner around for the rest of his life and into your grandchildren's lives. Consider yourself lucky to have him.

tmf

1. 5 incisions had no pain. 2. yes you can feel port if you push in. 3. you take care of your band and it takes care of you. 4.had surgery in 2009 and 2010 had slip had to have surgery to repair it. 5.Did not eat slow so I would vomit and I did that a lot. (My fault) I did this to me not the band. 6. for six months i did great and i started to eat the wrong things and started again vomiting.( I cant eat salad, chicken and bread no Pasta and some fruit but that is me everybody is different.) I eat a lot of fish and steamed veg.. I am doing better because I dont want to gain the weight back and because my Dr. finely told me if you have another slip i am going to remove it how much do you care about your self he was my wake up call. Is it worth it yes every bit of it. We are here for you.

mostly small incisions and one about 2 inches where the port is located. You cant feel it around your stomach but I can feel the port when I press where it is located.

I have gotten sick and had no problem vomiting. Definitely dont want to be doing that every day because it can cause a slip.

This is a life time commitment and you should plan to have it forever unless you have complications.

The biggest issue is learning how to work with your band. It takes a while to get used to the portions and making healthy choices if you have not been doing that. Some days you will feel like you can eat more and other days you may not eat much of anything and feel satisfied or on the other end, have a bad day and feel like nothing wants to go down.

If you arent doing this for YOU and your head isnt in it, you are going to make yourself miserable. There is a mourning period for the life you are leaving behind , yet excitement for the new life you are about to begin. Do a lot of research and attend a seminar or 2. Talk to people who have a band and come to the boards and ask all the questions you need. When you are truly ready, you will know it.

you are not suppose to vomit (it could hurt the band and cause slippage but it takes alot of that as the band is actually sewn onto your stomach so its best not too. eating too much, too fast or too big of bites also causes this so you learn to eat like a bander does. slowly and chew alot.

Regular vomiting and regurgitating food (aka productive burp, pb) because you ate too much, too fast, or too big of bites are two seperate things. Regular vomiting is forceful, whereas a pb is food from the pouch on top of the band that is unable to pass through.

I suggest a consultation with a doc. Tou have some good info here but my doc made us do a class and he gave it to us straight pros and cons. He covered every weight loss surgery option and your more informed. Our experiences will be different but you need the best doc, hospital and support system you can find. No pressure just start poking around. Don't forget the hospital web sites. Most go into great detail have support groups some have cooking classes etc. find the best so you can do your best! Best wishes :)

PS don't be hard on the hubby, I'm sure he had to build the nerve up to even say it ;)

3 small incisions(no scars) and a bigger incision inside the bellybuton(incision can't be seen) to install the port. I haven't had any problems with the band so far since Aug 6, band day. Youtube has some great videos on the lapband if you choose to look or hear others who have had a band put in place. If I lay down on the bed I can feel my port but its not seen. As you lose weight around the port area, you will be able to feel it. My band I will keep forever. It's helped me feel fuller faster and longer so far and I've only had 1 fill of 1.5cc put in. My surgeon did prefil 1.5cc in the band during surgery. My Allergan band size is 14cc with a omniforn design. Google it if you need any other information.

Best thing I've ever did!

Hello -

Many Thanks ...

You have recieved great info thus far... so here is mine since you are thirsty for it... I was like you.. poo poo'ed the band and anything else "drastic" for a while... I hd pretty much decided I was meant to be fat.....until I started doing my research on the band.

What kind of scaring is there? 2-4 dots? I had 4 cuts. I do not see any scarring now at all. I am 22 months out.

Can you feel the lap band around your stomach? Can you feel the fill port from the outside?

You cannot feel the band.. its around your stomach which is behind your liver. I can and I believe most people can feel their port at some point. It feels like a rock to the touch but it doesnt hurt or bother me in any way. It protrudes a little bit now that I am almost to goal but no one would notice except me. I have worn a 2 pc bathing suit and tight tops and no one can see it beneath the skin. I have let a few people touch it... and they say it just feels like a hard spot above my waist about the size of a small egg.

Its not really vomitting. Its more like alot of spit mixed in with food and its gross. It happens to me if I eat too much or too fast.... or if I eat something my band doesnt like ... rice, greasy or fatty foods. Its not like throwing up hard like if you are sick... and if it is you need to see the Dr because that is not healthy.

How long do you wear it? The rest of my life? If so, does it need replaced at any point? I was told I can have it removed anytime. But why would I? I do not think I have that much discipline... then it would be just like the other hundreds of diets... you lose weight...get off the diet and gain it all back. No matter how well I have done I think removing it would be disasterous.

What are the complications that you have heard of? Give it to me straight, please! The lap-band websites are all gooshy happy about their product. The band slipping is the biggest complication I know about. I have read stories about other stuff but according to my doctor its rare the band slips with out help...meaning you have to be doing something wrong like drinking carbonation, or washing food down with Water...something to work against the band instead of working with it.

Do not get banded unless you are committed to change the way you are eating . Even today I eat so little that it surprises me. But I also make healthy choices. I weigh and measure everything. I count evert calorie that goes in my mouth and when I have had 1000 for the day I am done. But what surprises me more is how much the rest of the world eats. Their portions are just like mine used to be. At McDonalds...I could eat a 1/4 lb burger fries and soda plus another cheeseburger and apple pie for lunch. and then have dinner 6 hrs later. Today I would spit up the 4 fries I might be able to eat after about 15 minutes because they are too greasy... and forget the other stuff...

I hope this helps you. Only you can decide if its right for you and it is drastic so you want to be 100% committed before you embark on the journey.

Best of luck to you!

Wow, you all are incredibly knowledgeable and supportive about all this, I truly thank you. I still do not know what I'm going to do (I haven't met with my doctor yet -- two weeks). She wants me to research "weight loss interventions" as if there is something other than good ol' diet and exercise! I've done weight watchers and myfitnesspal and hired a trainer and wishing it away ... are their other options I'm not thinking of that I should research? I just find it a little amazing how much support comes with something like the lab band procedure, but I'm not aware of any clinics that monitor your weight loss other ways?

I've had some "come to Jesus" moments with myself and realize that lap band still is extreme, to me, and it scares me that I'm headed in that direction. I WANT that to be enough to scare me into eating better, exercising more, and being self-accountable, but this power / rewarding of myself by eating whatever I want is a very, very high hurdle for me. I'm so sad thinking I won't be able to eat what I want anymore, but then you all are so happy with your results, I'm sure I would get to that point. I just keep thinking about being 70 years old and still having this in place ... like this is a long-term punishment for overeating the last 36 years. I guess maybe I should focus on the immediate future and let the rest work itself out.

THANK YOU!!