Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Vs. Sleeve

So today speaking to my surgeon he asked me to consider the Sleeve . He said they are doing mote Sleeves then Bands. And are seeing really good results. Im torn. Any advice out there?

I was torn between the two at first but I going with the band because I don't like the fact my stomach has to be cut on for the sleeve and.the band you can undo and the fact you can pretty much eat everything it just didn't seem like that would be good for me

Sleeve seems like. There is more risk also

The week Before my surgury i started thinking about the sleeve too. As far as i understand it all depends on what you like and how much do u want to loose. The risks with the sleeve is much higher than the band but u will also loose weight faster with the sleeve. My dr told me that if he was to perform surgury on a family member he would do the band first. If anything was to happend they can take it out but the sleeve is non reversible

Your surgeon knows your situation better than any of us here, so I would ask him what considerations lead him to recommend the sleeve vs. the band in your particular case.

I met with my surgeon a couple of months ago to talk about different approaches (banding, sleeve, and RNY), and after hearing my thought process, he recommended the band. In particular, my thinking was that I "only" wanted to lose about 50-60 pounds, I did not care if it happened more gradually, and I wanted the least invasive surgery that would help me lose the weight. The main factor that argued in favor of the sleeve in my case was that I take a lot of pills, and I guess those are easier to take with a sleeve. But he said that it was fairly likely I would be coming off many of my medications shortly after surgery. We decided against the RNY pretty quickly, largely in view of my only wanting to lose 50-60 pounds -- he thought the RNY might be more drastic than I would like.

i also need to check in about this sleeve. they talked about it briefly at the new patient orientation but they said it would something the surgeon and I would decide about. What is RNY?

The rny is the full gastric bypass. Roux en y, I think it's spelled.

My doc wanted me to do the sleeve or bypass but I wanted to least invasive so picked Lapband. Also felt better that it can be removed.

And if Lapband for some reason wasn't effective, my insurance would let me go for the sleeve or rny in 2 years anyway

I have family members who have the sleeve and others have the lap band. As they stress, this is just a tool. There are very good weight loss from the lap band as from the sleeve.

My primary care doctor keeps trying to convince me to get the sleeve because she had it done, but ultimately I think I'm gonna stick with getting the band because it appears to be the safest route...no permanent altering of your stomach!

I was originally scheduled for Gastric Bypass and backed out at the last minute. I just couldn't logically rationalize rerouting my intestines without trying something less drastic first. I also considered the Sleeve, but again, I just couldn't rationalize cutting 3/4 of my healthy stomach. I also didn't want to deal with the malabsorbtion/malnutrition issues of either.

So, I got the band because it's reversible, the safest, and least drastic. I figured it was the most logical starting place, and if the band didn't work, I could always go to the Sleeve later.

I chose the band because as others have posted it required no alteration of my biological systems. And heaven forbid it it could be removed should that ever become a necessity. That said it is a very personal choice. Make sure you do your research and have frank discussions with your surgeon. I spoke with 3 drs before I made my selection.

Im seriously considering getting the sleeve. True, a lot is gone, but the ten years out forecast looks a lot better than w/ the band. Europe pioneers all this stuff before our FDA gets hold of it. So they are about ten years ahead of us, and they are not doing the lap band anymore, its passe as the complications have had time to rear their ugly heads. I figure its all pretty permanent, and I dont want to choke to death while eating something healthy, or get gerd, etc.

This is my maiden voyage, and I havent had my fist talk , havent even been approved. So.....we will see what we shall see. Be well yall!

Sandy USN-Veteran