Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

considering banding

I'm considering banding I'm 5'3 190lb. I need to lose at least 40lb but find it almost imposible to do so on my own everyone including my family and boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. but I'm considering the surgery late this year in Mexico. are they right is such a surgery too dramatic for someone who is only considered mildly obese. I scared that I'll continue to gain and my weight problem will be out of control

Here's the thing, with a pre-op and post-op diet you'll probably only be about 20 pounds away from your goal. Lab-band surgery is a pretty drastic, expensive step for 20 pounds. The band isn't a miracle cure, you still have to diet and exercise. Surgery isn't something to undergo lightly, it can be dangerous and is definitely painful.

I'm not in your shoes but from this side of the band I don't think I'd take such a drastic step for 40 pounds of weight loss. I think you should take the (over) $11,000 (and that's for surgery in Mexico) and hire a personal trainer, a dietician, and maybe even some counselling. I'm not suggestion that your fear of weight gain is immaterial or unwarranted, I'm just saying maybe you should start with a more moderate approach to weight loss. The band will always be there if you need it. Right now I don't think you need it.

I agree with Donna, surgery is a big, scary, expensive, drastic measure. And yet, looking back at my life, there was a period at where I sat at 190 for a long time. If I'd gotten banded, I never would have creeped higher!

It's a VERY personal decision. If you have a lot of co-morbidities (high blood pressure, depression, high cholesterol, diabetes, et), you might qualify with ease. If not, you may have problems finding a surgeon for 40 pounds (I don't know that for a fact).

Either way, good luck! I hope you can tackle your food demons & not have to get any higher!

Donna part of the reason I'm considering the surgery is because it I'm in the military. I exercise regularly and follow a very healthy diet most of the time. according to the Military standard I'm actually 55lb overweight if I fail to make the weight standard my nine year Military career will be over.

Hi Lisa, welcome to LBT!

I read your post earlier today and wanted to give it some thought before responding. At first I was of two minds on this one. When I read that you only need to lose 40 pounds I wondered why you'd want to take such a drastic step when a couple of months of serious dieting would take off at least half of that. But then I got to thinking about how many times I did that, only to put it back on - plus some.

I also realized your height is 5'3" and firgured your ideal weight would be a lot lower than 150 - unless you are solid lean muscle. For a normal BMI you would need to be around 120. Which means you'd be looking at more like 70 pounds.

I know that you would not qualify for the surgery in the states, based on your BMI. However, I have to say I would do it for 70 pounds. I fluctuated between 180 and 220 throughout my 20's, then climbed into the 250-280 range in my 30's and 40's. Knowing what I know now, If I could have avoided the gain of the additional 100 pounds on my body over the years, I would have done it. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Thanks susan I did'nt want to get unrealistic that is why I said 40-50lb but I totally agree. over the years I have gain lost gain. I'm tired, I'm not looking for a miracle just help and hope before my weight problem get really out of hand.

I was in the same boat and actually gained weight to qualify for surgery. I didn't have to work real hard at gaining since I just basically gave up on diet and exercise for a few months and in no time I went from 190 - 209...

Even at 209 I still didn't qualify for the surgery so the last 11 pounds were actually a combination of adding a few pounds between my first surgeons appointment to going to a doctor that let me weigh with my shoes and jeans on during my period.... I made it to 220 (the magic # I needed to be a 40 BMI) I went down to 215 the day of surgery but actually that was after a week of liquids only, no surger and no shoes and jeans. So techinacally I didn't really lose 5 pounds....

I'd do it in a second for 190 pounds just because I dieted & exercised myself to death and only managed to maintain 190. I don't think you'll lose 20 pounds pre-op if you've been dieting just to say where you are...

My family has a bad history of heart problems and obesity and I was fighting an uphill battle.

I can't say I've lost a lot since banding on 2/8 but I feel I'm well on my way to actually having some control over my hunger and eating. The weird thing is I haven't even lost the weight I put on for the surgery.

I wouldn't have gained weight for the surgery (and I'm not suggesting that you do) if the doctors weren't so strict here about being 40 BMI (or 35 Major Health problems - which I didn't have yet)

Now I'll be so happy to make it back to the 190 I started this journey... I was that weight all the way until November of last year.

Thanks cashley

My insurance refuse to pay for the surgery so I decide to take out a loan this will be an investing in myself, health and future. I'm not going to wait till I'm suffering from a co-morbidities. I think that prevention is better that cure

I also took a loan and paid myself. It was $17,500 but even with paying myself the first doctor I went to wouldn't do it without a BMI of 40 or over or a 35 with co-morbidities. I have high cholestrol and high trig. but that didn't count.