Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Love Affair

I was called today by my doctors saying the insurance has approved me the right to have surgery. YAY! I am being referred to the Baptist Center in downtown jacksonville florida ( not far from me but i am in georgia ) My big brother has worked for baptist for 5years now. I am so scared though for having surgery. I was looking around and saw the Sleeve? this is new to me. im going to discuss it with the doctor of course but it seems that the results are much more with it then the band. Plus no having to go in for a fill and feel like im chocking for the week after. the sleeve is intriging to me. I am still scared tho.... I go to sushi and in my head i know im going to get 4 rolls. 4. yes i said 4. i love sushi. But after surgery im only going to be able to get 1. and probably wont finish it. it makes me sad. But it also makes me sad that i have broke all the mirrors in my home becuz i dislike how i look. If i go to micky-ds i know im going to get two egg mcmuffins and a large drink.

Do you find it easier to bring your own food with u where ever u go? Ive considered going on a liquid diet now, i nkow it will be required before surgery so in my mind if i do it now ill be more prepared for it then. Ill know what to expect. And then do soft foods for a while. Pre measuring apple sauce. or yogurts or cucuous. ect. Perhaps id loose weight and feel like i could do this. i ponder these things daily as i make myself and my kids lunches while im home. ( i dont work ) Then i wonder well how long would i do the liquid diet. How long would i last doing it? would i cheat and just feel worse? my husband says he will do it with me. I joked said "oh we will save money once i have surgery you will only have to make dinner for you the 3yr old. baby is stil on bottles.< /p>

Oh here is a thought has anyone ever ate baby food? Im one of those moms who tries the food before i give it to my kid just so i can sympathize with the iccky faces se gives me lol.

im excited to be on the journal even though i am terriefied on how we are going to be able to pay for it. my out of pocket cost is 4k. yes i said 4,000. four-thousand dollars! meh! depressing.

My out of pocket was $16,000, so that is incentive enough to make sure I follow the rules. I wouldn't go on liquids now as you will probably have to do them prior to surgery. I would make sure that when you visit your surgeon, you ask them what they suggest you do to make yourself in the best shape possible for surgery and recovery. Discuss sleeve and band with a surgeon and decide what is the best for you and your lifestyle. This is a very personal decision and once you are under the knife, you better be committed and can't even think about the what if's and cheating.

You should be weighting and measuring all of your food, we tend to overmeasure. If you can even join WW for a while it is a good way to learn good eating habits, how to measure everything and track what you eat, which is important for surgery.

Good luck with your decision.

Your post reads to me that you have not yet started the process of understanding that your relationship with food needs to change...learning to eat to live instead of living to eat.

Retooling your thoughts about food is a process, not an event and many do have some symptoms of grieving over the loss of their friend, "food". Food is not your friend. Food and maladaptive patterns of eating have taken you to the point of wanting to have WLS.

With the band, if you follow the rules, you will not be choking on your food. You likely, with proper restriction will not even want to have more than 1 roll of sushi.

It's important to do your research before deciding on what procedure you want to have...and also important to discuss your options with your surgeon. One does not choke on food if they eat slowly, take small bites, and chew everything well, and their band is not too tight for them.

The major issue for you as I read what you wrote is you're still not on board with changing your relationship with food. Don't be sad about not eating everything you want...say your goodbyes and move forward and be healthier and happier.

Until you make progress with addressing that issue, I believe that you will struggle with diet compliance and become discouraged and/or angry. Don't let that happen to you...

Best wishes...

Your post reads to me that you have not yet started the process of understanding that your relationship with food needs to change...learning to eat to live instead of living to eat.

Best wishes...

this made sense to me in a way that nothing anyone else has said did. thank you for responding to my rant. food has always been my friend and has always been the circle of events, ie birthday parties and anniversary ect. I do look at food differently and i wonder why i eat as much as i do. I have other OCD issues. and i believe food is a major one. My sister in law had surgery and ended up getting the band removed due to chocking so often. she would get a fill and go back a day later and ask for it to be taken out becuz she couldnt eat anything even Water she would gag on. she is a debbie downer in my corner i think sometimes. i know everyones situations are different and i dont expect this to be a cookie-cutter experience.

i am defiently indifferent about having surgery. but i am most certain i am tired of being over weight. im at my biggest and everytime i go back to the doctor ive gained more. lastly i was 324. and im 5'1. puting my bmi at 61. i have no other corrids. but my A1C is rising. i find myself latherigic at times needing to eat or drink something to regain my energy when i try to diet.

the liquid diet is why i suggest to myself i try the liquid diet. to get myself on the track now and not wait until i have a band inside of me tlling me i have to, by then it would be 2nd nature to me. to drink or to eat little. im already praticing eating slowly and taking many many bites. putting my fork down inbetween and drinking little. while i eat.

i dont think i am completely niave to the thought of surgery and losing weight but i do think i am grossly un prepared for the feelings to come.

this made sense to me in a way that nothing anyone else has said did. thank you for responding to my rant. food has always been my friend and has always been the circle of events, ie birthday parties and anniversary ect. I do look at food differently and i wonder why i eat as much as i do. I have other OCD issues. and i believe food is a major one. My sister in law had surgery and ended up getting the band removed due to chocking so often. she would get a fill and go back a day later and ask for it to be taken out becuz she couldnt eat anything even Water she would gag on. she is a debbie downer in my corner i think sometimes. i know everyones situations are different and i dont expect this to be a cookie-cutter experience.

i am defiently indifferent about having surgery. but i am most certain i am tired of being over weight. im at my biggest and everytime i go back to the doctor ive gained more. lastly i was 324. and im 5'1. puting my bmi at 61. i have no other corrids. but my A1C is rising. i find myself latherigic at times needing to eat or drink something to regain my energy when i try to diet.

the liquid diet is why i suggest to myself i try the liquid diet. to get myself on the track now and not wait until i have a band inside of me tlling me i have to, by then it would be 2nd nature to me. to drink or to eat little. im already praticing eating slowly and taking many many bites. putting my fork down inbetween and drinking little. while i eat.

i dont think i am completely niave to the thought of surgery and losing weight but i do think i am grossly un prepared for the feelings to come.

Marybell,

Those were excellent insights into your current situation...and they are something to build on with. Those who get into situations with their band being too tight are the ones who want to use restriction and rely on the band which is only a tool to loose weight. For every individual who experiences negative outcomes with the band, there are many who have been successful.

I have made the decision to keep my level of restriction relatively low, and have been very conservative with having my band filled. I definitely have restriction, but question that I am in the "green zone". I choose to take on the major part of the responsibility for my weight loss to manage my hunger.

This is a journey and not an event...I've felt like I have had to "fight" to loose every pound that I have. But I also understand the alternatives I will face if I do not loose my excess weight.

Continue to do your research...ask questions and learn. I know that the band is not the only surgical procedure who has an active forum. Learn as much as you feel you need to...but move forward with knowledge and being prepared to make the commitment to life long life style changes for your success.

Best wishes as your consider your options...

sojo made a great post in response to you. all the best hon. its hard but so worth it.

"""Oh here is a thought has anyone ever ate baby food?""

here is what i am responding too.......we are adults, we need to eat adult food.