Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Problem or Body problem??

After my 2nd fill I had a lot of problem eating after about 6 weeks. It got to the point where I couldn't even drink a shake, I was having upper right abdominal pain, under my bottom right rib and it seems to radiate to my chest and back.. I had a complete unfill because my doctor will not remove part unless it is under the floro. (sp?) I felt relief as far as the eating was concerned but was still having the pain in my chest. My Gp sent me for an ultrasound of my abdomin and gallbladder. It all came back fine. I go for a barium swallow on Monday. I seem to only have the pain after I eat.Usually gets worse if the food is heavy. Yesterday I had some chicken salad and about an hour after I ate it felt like someone was stabbing me in the chest, once this passed(about 30 minutes) I was OK. By the grace of God I have been able to stick with the band rules. I still get hungry but try not to eat too much. I was wondering if anyone else has had this, could it be band related or am having some other kind of problem. I originally thought it was reflux but there have been no other problems with the food coming back up since I have been unfilled. No problems at night.

My first ultrasound for my troublesome gallbladder was "fine" too - it wasn't until a fourth or fifth attack showed that the stones were moving back and forth in the opening, which explained why I sometimes was fine and other wasn't! A lot of what you describe were my gallbladder symptoms - feeling like I was having a heart attack, pain in the upper right quadrant, radiating to shoullder, stabbing pain........had it all.

Next time you are in the midst of the pain, you might want to go to ER and have them do ultra sound again....my stones showed up more clearly when I was in pain, unfortunately! Got the band in early July, and the gallbladder out less than 2 months later!

Good luck to you.............Amy

This sounds like gall bladder to me. Whether or not the gall bladder ultrasound was normal or not, I'd pursue this. It's possible the stones are moving back and forth, but it's more likely that you have a poorly functioning gall bladder. Ask for, and possibly demand a HIDA scan. That will test the functioning of the gall bladder. DO NOT let them keep convincing you that your pain is related to the band if it's not. I did because I didn't know any better and I let it go on for at least 5 months. It's possible, I had an attack before that and blamed the band for that, too. So, if it's your gall bladder it's only gonna get worse.

You said the pain comes about an hour after you eat. EXACTLY the same as me. And all the medical experts just scratched their heads. If you've already pinpointed it to after a heavy meal, don't wait. The location and description of the symptoms are textbook gall bladder. The next time you get an attack, go to the ER. If the tests are negative or inconclusive-demand a HIDA.

With all sincerity and hope for you,

I had a similiar problem, and Linda (the nurse practioner) thought it sounded like a gallbladder attack. Turns out mine was just accoviated to my new exercise program. Check with the office and stay on top of them, I have heard that sometimes gallbladder problems aren't properly diagnosed, and quickly dismissed.

Are you coming wednesday night for the support group? If so see ya there. And I hope you feel better.

Accoviated? What does that mean? :) :)

I have to go with gall bladder, too, Seppi. The fact that eating makes it worse and eating heavy food is worst of all is very telling. Good luck!!

lol - I wondered the same thing. I'm thinking it's a 'fat fingered' associated?

(fat fingered means typo)

Maybe it's "associated"? (Sorry for picking on ya, Ali, but "accoviated" sure sounds like it should be a word if it isn't. What did you make up?)

I had my gallbladder out 14 years ago after being sick with it for a year. All the tests came back normal, but I continued to have the pain and nausea. I didn't have stones though. The Dr. told me that it was diseased and not functioning right. Please pursue this problem until you get an answer. If you do have your gallbladder removed, stay on a low fat diet afterward. I was not told after surgery and found out the hard way. Anything with fat in it will cause you to have an attack as if you still have your gallbladder until your body adjusts to the change. Hope you feel better.

I was having these "attacks" over the past 15 years that was in the center of my abdomen, under the breastbone. They were so horrible that they would bring me to my knees.Literally. And a tight band of itwent round my back and into my shoulder.

I went to the emergency room once and they could not find stones.

Then last year, my pancreas was becoming compromised from a bad gallbladder. I had pancreatitis and was in the hospital, no food or Water by mouth for 3 days. Then they took my gallbladder out and the surgeon said he could have paved a driveway with it. It was scarred, distended and had 150 stones. I was lucky that my pancreas was not damaged by the years of a diseased gallbladder. If you ever read about chronic pancreatitis, it's frightening, and leaving a bum gallbladder in can cause it.

So be persistant. Also, fatty foods and caffiene will aggravate it.

Well, I got the results of the gallbladder ultrasound, there are no stones which I am very happy about. I am waiting to hear about the barium swallow. SHould hear something tonight or tomorrow. Thank you guys for all the info.

Alexra- I will be there tonight, shouldn't there be a guest speaker? I hope so it sounded interesting.

Seppi,

Remember, just because they didn't find stones via the ultrasound doesn't mean there isn't problems with the gall bladder. If your barium swallow comes back O.K. and they can't seem to find anything else that is causing your symptoms..........ask for a HIDA scan. Your gall bladder may be poorly functioning. A poorly functioning gall bladder can cause these same symptoms. Stones are not the only problems we can have with our gall bladder and a HIDA scan tests the functioning of the gall bladder.

Good Luck,

Guess what, the Docor is now sending me for a HIDA scan. I guess he suspects the gallbladder too. I really hope not but on the other hand it would be nice to have an answer. I am a little leery of the test-hate the idea of dye being put into my body but I think it is only way to find out. Thank you all, for all of your help.

On a positive note, I have been unfilled for 3 weeks and have actually lost 2 pounds. I guess I really have learned something after all.

Great job at losing weight on an unfill.... I hope you get your problem figured out soon... Keep us updated....

I may be in for an unfill as well, I think I may have reflux who knows i am giving it a try on liquids for the weekend to see if it is just an irritation from my cough (allergies) or maybe worse. I'll be calling Dr. A on monday depending what I feel like....