Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings From Houston, Texas!

Hello all, my name is Gloria and I just had my first consult for Lap Band surgery yesterday! I've been researching (and saving) for this procedure for as long as I could remember.

A little bit about me, I'm 28 single with no children. I'm in school full time attempting to obtain a nursing degree. I also work full time as a receptionist. I've been over weight my entire adult life and I only have myself to blame. I tried many fad diets with no success and I tried the "hard way" diet and exercise when I was in my early 20's and did have minor results only to gain it all back (and then some) after going through a job loss and depression. At present day, I'm at the heaviest I've EVER been (5'0 250lbs) and can't seem to lose more than 10 pounds and keep it off! I haven't had a full panel blood work done in over 5 years so I don't know if I have any underlying medical conditions such as diabetes or hypothyroidism. My blood pressure fluctuates but usually is borderline.

I recently became insured through Aetna but unfortunately my policy excludes all bariatric surgery, just my luck! Apparently the company I work for didn't purchase the plan but the center I went to found a small loophole, sort of; Hiatal hernia. I'm now scheduled for an EGD on October 1st and per True Results, if they find I have a hiatal hernia, the total cost of the surgery gets discounted about $4000! I know it sounds horrible but I really hope I have one!

I had an EKG, PFT, physical exam and lab work done yesterday and aside from the upcoming egd I was told I could have surgery as soon as the 4th. It all seems to be moving so fast, I'm VERY excited but a bit apprehensive. I've never been put under and I'll have that first experience with the egd. I'm also curious about other pre-op clearances I was told I needed by one doctors office weren't brought up yesterday, mainly a psych evaluation and sleep apnea study. Are these not needed for "cash patients"?

When it comes time for surgery, how many days should I request off from work, just a receptionist here. I'll have to keep in mind I'm in school too and will have to make arrangements there too because of stairs. Any advice from those who've recently had it done. Pain felt when you wake up on a scale from 1-10? I appreciate ANY feedback, comments, questions or concerns. Anyone else from Houston, please add me or keep in touch!

Hi Gloria!! I'm Gloria too! I was banded on July 31st by Dr.Wilkenfeld in the Woodlands.

I don't recall having much pain, but the anthesia made me very tired and sleepy. The pain isn't all that bad..... I just don't do well with anthesia! I had surgery on Tuesday and took off work the rest of the week. I was more tired and week than pain.

sleep apnea study and psych evaluation is not needed for cash pay patients. I paid cash and did not have either done. I had the EDG, EKG, blood work, and I also had the hiatal hernia.

I don't recall having much pain' date=' but the anthesia made me very tired and sleepy. The pain isn't all that bad..... I just don't do well with anthesia! I had surgery on Tuesday and took off work the rest of the week. I was more tired and week than pain.[/quote']

Hi Gloria! How long after the anesthesia wears off before you didn't feel groggy? I don't do much at work and always feel tired anyway, maybe going back to work a few days later won't be so hard. How much have you lost since your surgery? Thanks for the reply btw!

I was groggy for two days, but I saw everyone else that had surgery after me come out doing just fine! I started at 197 and I am now at 174 in 6weeks. I would like to loose faster. I go this Wednesday for my first fill. I would like to be under 170. I went from 120 to over 170 with my second pregnancy. I went from size 5-7 to 14-16. I am so ready to get into 10-12!!! I've been 14-16 for 17 years!

I was groggy for two days' date=' but I saw everyone else that had surgery after me come out doing just fine! I started at 197 and I am now at 174 in 6weeks. I would like to loose faster. I go this Wednesday for my first fill. I would like to be under 170. I went from 120 to over 170 with my second pregnancy. I went from size 5-7 to 14-16. I am so ready to get into 10-12!!! I've been 14-16 for 17 years![/quote']

Over 20 lbs in 6 weeks is pretty inpressive, im sure after your fill you'll drop even more. I just want to be under the 200 mark! Good luck on your journey and keep me posted. I'm scared of the fills the most, I never really thought that they were going to be poking me with a needle every month til yesterday! It will all be worth it in the end.