Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Been Re-Banded?

Hello, I'm sure most of you have heard my story and my woes. As it stands now, My Dr. has told me during my last two visits that the band is no longer working for me. I have lost 50lbs with this band and really hate to lose it. He is pushing for an unfill as to give my esophagus a rest and then either be re-banded or have another wls . Anyone been in this predicament before? If so, What was your decision and the outcome. I need to give him my decision soon. Thanks!

I'm scared the same thing will happen to me soon. About 6 mths ago, I started having really bad night reflux. I withstood it for a couple of months because I was afraid of losing my band. Finally went in and I had slip. He took out 1/2 of my 9cc fill and let it rest for a month. I went back in, and they started filling me without doing a follow-up xray to see if the slip had fixed itself. I was fine until my 2nd fill, then I started having the severe nighttime reflux again. Went back in. Another xray showed that the band was still slipped, exactly the same as it had been. He took out the 1cc fill he had given me a few weeks beforehand.

Now I have regular nightime reflux and daytime heartburn. I take Prilosec rx and OTC Zantac. It does nothing. I'm afraid to go back to the dr's for fear they'll tell me I'll have to have it removed. I've lost 104 lbs with it and am scared to death I'll gain it all back. So here I suffer with the reflux and heartburn. And it's a 6 hr round trip visit to the dr's office and $160 + xray costs every time I go in. I'm just taking it day by day, praying that I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll just pop back into place. Now, the reflux isn't as bad as it has been in the past, but I can no longer sleep on my sides. Have to sleep propped up on 3 pillows on my back to sleep at all.

So, I know the fear of having to reband. Good luck with your band. Hopefully they won't have to reband you.

Marci

Yes, you are still too tight. I went through the same exact thing before having 5cc's taken out. I coughed, had to be propped up, and said AHEM from the throat most of the night I would hate losing my band but I have been told by others that I should let it go and have another procedure done.

I'm scared the same thing will happen to me soon. About 6 mths ago' date=' I started having really bad night reflux. I withstood it for a couple of months because I was afraid of losing my band. Finally went in and I had slip. He took out 1/2 of my 9cc fill and let it rest for a month. I went back in, and they started filling me without doing a follow-up xray to see if the slip had fixed itself. I was fine until my 2nd fill, then I started having the severe nighttime reflux again. Went back in. Another xray showed that the band was still slipped, exactly the same as it had been. He took out the 1cc fill he had given me a few weeks beforehand.

Now I have regular nightime reflux and daytime heartburn. I take Prilosec rx and OTC Zantac. It does nothing. I'm afraid to go back to the dr's for fear they'll tell me I'll have to have it removed. I've lost 104 lbs with it and am scared to death I'll gain it all back. So here I suffer with the reflux and heartburn. And it's a 6 hr round trip visit to the dr's office and 160 + xray costs every time I go in. I'm just taking it day by day, praying that I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll just pop back into place. Now, the reflux isn't as bad as it has been in the past, but I can no longer sleep on my sides. Have to sleep propped up on 3 pillows on my back to sleep at all.

So, I know the fear of having to reband. Good luck with your band. Hopefully they won't have to reband you.

Marci[/quote']

I think I would make your Dr do a total unfill, rest a month, have an xray and go from there. I've read that a total unfill sometimes allows band to slip back into place. I can't believe he gave you another fill knowing you had a slip, without the xray.

My granddaughter has a lot of medical issues and one thing we have learned is you have to be your own advocate.

IMO

Best wishes I hope you get to the bottom of this. Congratulations on your WLs!

I had the same problem that everyone talks about in here as well as a hiatel hernia.I originally had my band done in 2009 and had some porblems with it being very tight.Becasue of change in insurance had to go to different DR whi is very good but becasue of slippage and bad acid acid reflux he suggested he go in and see if he could fix the band. During the surgery it was decided to put a new one in so hopefully this will sove the problem. He did day there were some scar tissue from he had to get red of when he was doing the surgery and I'm more sore this time around.