Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are You Really Full?? (With Other Randomness)

Yesterday I told my mom and sister that I may be getting the lapband. My Mom was scared the minute I told I think because she's a RN she thinks any foreign object in your body is wrong. But I assured her that I would be fine. (Hopefully)

My sister on the other end was very supportive, but told me a story of someone see works with who had the lapband and only lost 20 lbs

My question is....

Do you feel the "Okay STOP eating" feeling?? Is it more prevalent with the Band? Rather than eating and feeling full after your second helping? How can one go through alllll the tests and appointments and everything and not lose weight?

Could it be related to her fills??

Sorry!! I feel like I ask questions every day I use my phone for the forum so its hard to go through the archive to see if its been asked for

Thanks in advance!!!

Congratulations on your decision. I was banded on May 29th and have lost 28 lbs so far. Two things I can tell you related to your question is #1, patience is key, and #2, the amount of weight you lose is dependent on how much effort you put into the entire process. Let me explain both. Patience - it has taken me 3 months to get to the "sweet spot" where the band has just the right amount of restriction. I can eat enough food to be healthy without vomiting it up, but feel full faster and stay full longer and am losing weight. I had several fills and one unfill, then another fill to get to the right spot. Effort - it is not a magic mechanism. You have to eat the right foods, in the right order, exercise, drink tons of liquids, etc. You must follow the instructions your Dr. gives you to a tee. Example: I could probably still eat 2 big slices of pizza even though I am banded. Pizza is really greasy and slides right through the band. If I eat 3 oz of lean mean, 1/2 cup of vegetables and a little yogurt, I'm full for at least 4-5 hours. Huge calorie difference. It really is a lifestyle change. You have to change the way you eat for life. You have to be in control, almost to the point of being obsessive, at least until you've adopted good habits for good. It also helps to attend support group meetings, journal your foods and exercise. People who do those things are more successful than those who don't. The person who only lost 20 lbs maybe didn't follow through on fills, getting to the right restriction zone, and could have snacked on foods throughout the day, ate the wrong types of foods, etc. There are many ways you can fail, but you CHOOSE to fail. And to ultimately answer your question, yes I do get the "ok stop eating now feeling" but I will say it is more subtle than I had expected. It could be different for different people. Good luck on your journey, You won't regret it, I don't!

Kpeter said it perfectly. Couldn't agree more. I was banded in Feb and have lost 65lbs. I eat simular to kpeter, journal my food on an app called myfitnesspal (several bandsters use it), exercise daily, go to a monthly support group thru my doctor and log into here every day. My life has completely changed and I love it. I respect my band and listen to its signals. As several will say my only regret is not getting it sooner.

As for asking too many questions, never. Ask away, happy to answer them. Good luck with your journey.

Yesterday I told my mom and sister that I may be getting the lapband. My Mom was scared the minute I told I think because she's a RN she thinks any foreign object in your body is wrong. But I assured her that I would be fine. (Hopefully)

My sister on the other end was very supportive' date=' but told me a story of someone see works with who had the lapband and only lost 20 lbs

My question is....

Do you feel the "Okay STOP eating" feeling?? Is it more prevalent with the Band? Rather than eating and feeling full after your second helping? How can one go through alllll the tests and appointments and everything and not lose weight?

Could it be related to her fills??

Sorry!! I feel like I ask questions every day I use my phone for the forum so its hard to go through the archive to see if its been asked for

Thanks in advance!!![/quote']

Hi! I was just banded on 9/6 so I am new to the banded life but what I can say is... my doctor advanced me to mushys on Thursday and when I am full it a different feeling than before I was banded. I know that I need to stop. I'm full & satisfied but not thanksgiving full (which I'm fine with) maybe its because I'm

still swollen on the inside but I can definitely tell a difference from my banded tummy and my old unbanded tummy.

Starting weight: 264.5 Current weight 253.6 Goal weight 160

then band is only a plastic band

it will be put around your tummy and it will help you eat less

especially when the fills start

however, if someone eats junk food or doesnt change how much (and what) they

eat, they most likely wont have much success with the band

i feel Portion Control is key as is making the right food choices.

i stop eating at a cup of food and my plication makes me full about that amount

the band is successful if used correctly and following the dr's and nutritonist (instructions)

we can eat what we want, just in smaller amounts.

like ajtexas, i wish id done it sooner