Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fills with Omni-pak (?)

Can anyone tell me why some doc's fill the band with a solution that is thicker than saline called Omni pak? :) (I think I am spelling it right). What is the advantage or disadvantage of this particular solution?:help:

Thanks!

Thanks Letha. It sounded like he (doc) used it b/c of my loss of fill (0.7cc's) on my previous refill. I have not heard of it before and wondered if it was common practice to use.....

I didn't mean to worry you. It's not very common.

If you want, PM me with more Questions..

From the research I've just done on the word "omnipaque" in conjunction with the lap band, and it appears to be an iodinated contrast dye used for fluros. Although, I can see some stuff on google that I can't actually get to where people are talking about being filled with omnipaque.

Here is a post I found by Sassaay in 2004:

Hi Renee,

Does your doctor fill you under floro? If so, you might see if he can check for a leak by giving you a fill under floro, but instead of saline, he would inject a 'constrast' solution... I think it is called Omnipaque. My doc thinks I had a leak in the balloon of the actual band... no where near the port; which is where she originally thought the problem was.

This is new info to me, and very handy. I knew about the "contrast" Fluid they use for fills to check for leaks, but didn't realize it had a fix-a-flat feature, LOL How cool! This stuff is good to know!

I don't know how to include a link on these but I was having all sorts of problems at the beginning with my saline just "disappearing". They ended up using omniplaque in my band and I have not had a problem since. Do a search for the threads "fill loss at every fill" and "band leakage" and this should give you some info. Good luck.

Hi dt!!! Dr. Spivak is my Dr. also.

Here is my story. First fill with saline... 2.7cc, I had restriction for a little while, but then after about 2 months, I was back to eating like a horse. Went in for another fill... and there was not 2.7cc in there. So, Spivak decided to go with the omnipaque. (this is what I wanted in the first place) He put in 2.7cc and it was WAY too much. So right now I have PERFECT restriction at 2.2cc!!! If you talk to the girls that are usually there to support you during your fills, they swear by it. One girl, Bobbie, has had her same fill for the past like 18 months! she is looking great.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me!

Good Luck, omnipaque is a GREAT thing!

I too wonder "why" the saline disappears.

Is it our body that just absorbs the Fluid? OR is this the beginning of a leak in progress? :guess

My doc told me some people absorb the fluid. I was just a little concerned when he used the Omnipaque so quickly.

Can you go from Omnipaque back to saline?:)

This does concern me that Dr. Spivak uses omnipaque as a fill solution on a regular bases. As I understand it is not recomended by Inamed and could un-warrent the band. I have only had it used to check for leaks. Filled under flouro then removed.

Do you have to sign a release statement in order to use it as a perment fill solution? I know someone who did have to sign for it, but she is very happy with her fill and it has not caused any problems, not saying it would cause problems....

I had to sign a release but we tried about 4 times with saline and it always disappeared. Most of the time... all of it. Since they put in the omniplaqu I have had not one problem with it disappearing.

I've been wondering about this, and read in the Inamed book that came with my band that it is NOT appropriate to keep this contrast Fluid in your band... Wondering what happens if something goes wrong and this is the culprit? Just curious.