Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded August 30 and am now 12 days post op. I've been up and moving diligently everyday. Unfortunately I've not returned to the clinic I work in because I'm having excruciating pain in my left shoulder and side of my neck. I'm attached to my heating pad just for relief. Does anyone have suggestions on alleviating this? I'm absolutely beside myself. I want to get back to work ASAP but can't do my job properly in this much pain. I've placed a call to my surgeons office yesterday with no callback so far!

harleymelm

I had this pain as well, walking seemed to help. The more I moved, the better I felt. With the heating pad, you might try ice. Good luck to you!

well, the good news is that it will go away

the kinda bad is, it will go away when it does. mine lasted from day 4 to about day 8 (and was intense). the pain meds helped me and also me moving my shoulder alot.....then i woke up one day and it was gone. i hope you feel better soon.

It will get better, it just takes time. My doctor said it is referred pain from the nerves above your stomach. As you begin to eat more solids be aware that if you eat too much the pain in your shoulder will be worse. Try to eat a few small meals a day. Hang in there!

Hi- I just got banded yesterday and I came home from the hospital today. I am also having horrible neck and chest and shoulder pains. This pain is far worse than the incision site! I can't find a comfortable position on my bed so I have been either walking around my house or sitting in a recliner with a heating pad around my neck. It's really painful :(

I know this is temporary but it's really challenging to get through. I feel pretty lousy now. I have been taking my pain med but I don't think it helps much for the gas.

Just venting!

Hey everybody- I am 5 days post-op, and I think I had a breakthrough today. I have been having the same issues with the shoulder pain and the gassiness. So last night I took a laxative, and sorry if TMI but had two BM today and it has definitely helped with passing of gas. Also, I got a bottle of children's liquid ibuprofen, and took some of that today and it REALLY helped the shoulder pain. (I took 400 mg) So not sure if this will help anyone else but it sure made me feel better! :D

Dr finally called me back. Says that the intense pain may be a result of irregularity. Recommended Miralax. Gonna try it in some Gatorade. Hope it helps!

harleymelm

i was having gas pains in my shoulder and did lots of walking but still that did not work, I read somewhere that someone sat in a rocking chair and rocked it that helped.....so I thought I would try to ride my exercise bike for a few minutes to see if i could get things moving......IT WORKED......just did like 5 min. then walked and heating pad and I was burping and passing gas....LOL :) hope this works for you as well. I swear by it :)

I actually had the same thing. My hubby works in a orthopedic office and suggested I get a x-ray. Turns out it was a pinched nerve from head position during surgery. Dr. Told me gas pain that intense does nit last that long, and nothing helped helped especially walking. Started Chiropractor regularly and mild muscle relaxers which help. I occasionally get gas pain in left shoulder after I eat, it is not nearly as painful as the nerve thing. I chalked up to gas pain for two weeks because everyone told me that is what it was. The doctor was baffled I let it go on that long. I should also tell you, I had two doctor opinions since I was convinced it was gas. I am 5 weeks post op and I still have tenderness in my left shoulder and neck. Good luck.