Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in Band Area: Yup It's me Again...

Yes, yes..it's Leener and her eleventeen thousand questions. Sorry to be such a pest but you folks are veterens and I bounce them off you first before calling the doc.

I woke up last night with pain where my band is, at the bottom of my esophagus. It's been like this since surgery. It feels like a throbbing-squeezing and it hurts. I had to get up and take liquid tylenol. I have to take the stuff every 5 hours all day too. I wonder if this is normal for 9 days post op?? Is this just swelling and the stomach's response to being lassoed?

:)

ANyone else experience this?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

I am a newbie like you..so I cannot offer alot of veteran experience...but I will tell you for ME personally..I feel NOTHING...I cannot even tell my band is there..I have not taken tylenol or anything since day 1....but everyone is different...I would be a little concerned but I dont know..I am a newbie too so maybe someone can offer some better advice..but I am thinking of you and praying for you that all is well

Much love

Carla

hey bups,

I haven't had pain meds since thursday last week or so. I really do not have any pain left. ( other than those HELLO port pains, when the dern thing just wants to make sure you havent forgotten it is there )

I am sorry, I do not have any advice, but I am sure the wealth of knowledge on this board will produce some suggested explanations for your concerns.

I hope you start feeling better!!

((and don't worry, we are all ready for question number eleventeen thousand and one...))

I just called the surgeon's office and will be seeing him at 3 pm

Excellent. Did you ever need to get the IV fluids? Your recovery is so much like mine, except my doc was in MX! so you are fortunate to have your doc nearby. All of my discomfort issues seemed to be related to post-op swelling in the band area. Once I got the IV fluids and was able to drink Egg Drop Soup, I took a huge turn for the better. And 2 fills in a year for me. No more fills for a while, either! That's the good part about having restriction from the beginning, but now you need to be super careful about slippage. Avoid PBs and uncomfortable food, no matter what your post-op diet says you ought to be eating and drinking. Let your band be your guide. Keep us posted. You are NOT an aggravation, so don't hesitate. I look for your posts because I remember all too well! (((hugs))) Beuller! LOL

Hi Kathy!

Glad you don't mind the flooding of the board with my question. :)

Saw my doc, I'm hydrated, thank god. He said the pain sometimes happens when someone is swollen and their body is still getting used to the band. He said it will go away in time.

You mentioned to avoid slippage, PB's etc. Can you get more into why you mentioned it? Is it because you and I have such good restriction?

How does one avoid a PB? I thought it was almost unavoidable to see what foods you can tolerate, etc?

bups, I supppose I am thinking alot of Jonathan, whose band slipped. He PB'd lots post-surgery and had lots of swelling. He said he felt like his band was too small, and he should have had the VG band. Anyhow, noone can ever really say for certain what makes them slip. It's pretty common knowledge, though, that excessive PBing increases your risk, and too much restriction increases your risk for PBs. It's kind of A+B=C thinking. When you have lots of resstriction with no fill, you have nowhere else to go until the weight comes off and the band inevitably loosens a bit. That's all. No need for alarm, just know that you, like me, will need to be extra careful about avoiding PBs since you can't take any fill out. Eeek.

Avoid PBs by chewing alot and taking small bites. PBing is a sort of "rite of passage" for bandsters, yes, but kudos to anyone who never has one! Doesn't happen much, though. You are right about that, especially when trying new foods. Just take extra care with chewing and bite size, especially when you have no fill to take out and loosen the band in a pinch.

Hang in there. You are doing great!!!!

I want to add to Kathy's great advice... it may help to avoid RIGHT OFF THE BAT foods that cause problems for many bandsters. The worst culprit being bread. I had my first PB from bread and have not been able to eat it comfortably since.

I am sorry you are having pain during your healing time. Are you doing better with warm liquids or does it make any difference? Warm still goes down easier for me, lol. I have learned to love room temp Water.

Yes warm does help.

I love bread too, used to make it home-made.

Would you believe last night I dreamt I was at a buffet and I started putting bread into my mouth and eating it like I used to. I realized it as soon as it went down (in the dream).