Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else's body going wacko?

Well ya'll for the most part, this has been a great journey. The weight lose, the energy & the mobility have been incredible. But then there have been some thing that I have experience with the changes in my body I expected, like Hair loss & the inability to eat bread. But then there have been some things that have knocked me for a loop, like the loss of my period for 2 months & a 4 week plateu. With all of them going on at the same time I really started to feak out. I saw my regular Dr, who ran a bunch of blood work, from thyroid to hormones & monpause & everything checked OK, but still no period. I had my tubes tied 19 years ago, so that was not an issue. I saw my Gyno, who gave me some meds to indose my period, but she wanted me to wait 1 more month before taking them in hope it would happen on its own. So I wait, & then last Tuesday it happened! I was releived, but it managed to be the worst one of my life, after 3 days I contacted my Gyno becaused I thought I was bleeding to death, she wanted me to go into the ER if I was not better by that night. Fortunately by bedtime it was motr like normal & after 3 days it was done. My Dr thinks that with the lose of so much body fat in so short a time my hormones went in to shock & now I should be back on track, Which I hope so because if my hair does not stop falling out I will be the bald skinny lady. I guess there are always wigs!

Anyone else dealing with some strange stuff? By the way I'm off the platue & doubling up on the Multi Vitamins & taking Biotin.< /p>

I'm preband so I can't offer any advice on most of your issues, but I can talk to the period thing. Last year when my husband ended up staying in the hopital for 5 days after an outpatient surgery, I started my period when I shouldn't have. A few mos ago, I was under A LOT of stress and again, had an extra period. They lasted from 3-5 days and I still had my regular period. Our bodies do respond to stresses including weight loss and such. I hope this helps you in some way. Good luck! :)

I didn't really have any period issues after surgery...but the hair falling out...I am still grappling with even 6 months past my surgery. I am taking Biotin to combat the issue and hopefully that will turn around. But not to worry the hair on my chin and neck hasn't been effected at all. Once I lose all my hair on my head I can just do a comb up and take care of it. ;-) (sarcastic wit showing here) lol.

PS. Make sure you are getting enough Protein, I eat between 80 and 100 grams of Protein a day.

I haven't had my period for over 2 months now. Dr said wait and see and if nothing after 3 months go see him. No problems with hair loss or anythings else. Thanks for the info, if this happens to me I will know not to panic. My doc doesn't have much experience with band/bypass pts, so your experience sharing is great.

Good luck!

I haven't had any period problems. I am shedding like a dog, though. I'm disgusted with myself. hair everywhere. My only problem is that I am ALWAYS cold now. I used to be hot all the time and now it is the opposite. I am freezing my butt off every day. This, I would say, is the only thing I miss about being bigger, the insulation:)

I shed loads of hair too, our ensuite is disgusting. Long brown hairs hanging off the light fitting, clogging the shower drains, all over the basin etc. That's totally normal for me though, I've always been this way, there's been no increase since banding.

Period problems are not at all unusual when you either take up vigorous exercise or lose a lot of weight. It will sort itself out in the end for you.

I've been on a long plateau now, about 4 weeks, I've lost a bit more but I think I need to face the fact that I cannot remain able to eat bread, red meat etc and still have enough restriction to keep me losing, sigh. Its about perfect right now, my intake is regular, under control but I have variety and can enjoy going out. I'm going to have a tiny tiny fill today.

What's struck me as odd is that I've lost like ONE kilogram for the entire month of March yet a pair of shorts I put on five weeks ago which were tightish (I had to breath in very deeply before I sat down so the velcro fly didnt rip open) literally fell to the ground when I put them on yesterday - that's ONE kilogram difference in weight. I know people say you can be losing inches when you're not losing weight but that many? It was werid.

I cant stop touching myself, lol. I feel all bony!

It was great to hear for ya'll to know that I am not just a freak. I am also cold all the time, & that is great living here in Austin where we were running our air conditioners 2 days ago and last night we had to cut on the heaters & I slept in a sweater. Going without a period for a while was not so bad, to me that is the greatest thing about getting older & menopause, so I was a little disappointed when it did started, but now maybe things will get back to normal. Don't want to lose much more hair, didn't have a lot to start with & when you are a hairstylist with no hair it really sends negative message.

I guess if this stuff is happening to us, it must mean we are doing the what we all set out to do, lose weight, so congrates all.

Kim

I'm with ya! Except my period has doubled up -- I have it at least twice a month and it is very heavy & 5 days long. Doc said it is due to hormone release from fat stores. Also -- skin is horrible (assume it is the hormones again) and my Hair loss is just now slowing down. All these things I think are normal. At least we both have them so if these symptoms aren't normal we have each other!