Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Feel Like This Is Counter To What I Am Trying To Do But Im Desperate!

Really hate that just because my BMI is just over 38 that I have to have a specific comorbidity for my insurance to pay. I have plenty of health problems but not directly linked to my weight. My insurance recognizes even a couple less than some insurances. Like 5 pounds or so and I will be a hair under 40 and will be ok per the insurance coordinator at the clinic. However my insurance apparently does not require the 5% loss while I go through the 6 month pre-surgical program.

So basically I have decided to stop trying to lose for now and eat the way I had been. I figure if I can eat lots of salty crap before I weigh in I could squeak by, but for 6 months? I have no doubt that if I continue as I am without dieting I can reach 40 but it seems so stupid I have to gain to lose! I know if I tried I could lose a little weight on my own but doubt I could get below 35 and keep it off! I feel strongly that the band is the tool I need in my weight loss journey but I feel I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I am scheduled for an eval at a sleep clinic but not until the end of November! If I do get dx with OSA I can try and lose the few pounds before surgery. But who knows.

I'm seriously considering doing the Mexico thing but not sure anyone here would do the fills. Plus if anything goes wrong I'm a wee bit screwed.

I just wish I could keep weight off once I lose. But ever since the early 90's I keep gaining. I managed to lose a great deal of weight around 2001 or so but over the next several years gained most of it back.

This is getting me down. I need clothes so badly and can't find what I want in a size that fits. :/

Am I nuts? Has anyone ever felt this way? Has anyone gained a few pounds just to qualify?

I really need some support.

I did not have to gain any but I was borderline with my BMI that I could not lose in while doing my 6 month diet plan. If I had lost any my insurance would not pay for the surgery. It doesn't make any sense. If I could have lost it on my own and been able to keep it off I would not need the surgery. The most I have been able to lose is about 15-20 but not any more and keep it off. I was banded on 23 Aug and glad I have had it done. I aws really nervous but new if I chickened out I would have regretted it the next day and every day after. Good luck.

I'm glad things have worked out for you, Lena :)