Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Can I Do While I'm Waiting?!?

My final consult is not until oct 15. Ugh!!! I can't lose more than ten pounds before then or my bmi will fall below 40. I have spent the last two weeks saying goodbye to binge eating by stuffing myself and now I just want to get started feeling better.

I am planing on restarting my workout video to build up some calorie burning muscle.

I colored my hair today.

I did my nails.

I began taking my daily Multivitamin.

I am practicing chewing my food more.

You guys have any other ideas as to what I could start doing now that would not cause me to dip below required bmi, but would also get me started on my new self?

Are you sure you can't lose weight? If the insurance has already approved the surgery, then it's a done deal. In fact many people who have pre-op diets lost weight and dip below the 40 BMI intentionally.

Check with your surgeon's office to be sure, but if it's already been approved, then it shouldn't matter if you lose a little before surgery.

Yeah, I asked that already. I won't be submitted for insurance approval until after my final consult, at which they will take my final weight.

I'm going to ask again at my next class, but I don't anticipate a different answer.

Yeah, I asked that already. I won't be submitted for insurance approval until after my final consult, at which they will take my final weight.

I'm going to ask again at my next class, but I don't anticipate a different answer.

Oh that absolutely sucks!!

Hmmm...well....what if you bought a piece of clothing you really like but buy it two sizes too small? Use it as incentive to get you through the whole process?

You could also use this time to get better familiar with nutritional labels on food, get an idea what's healthy and what's not.

Or, I use an an app called Lose It! to track my food and calories. You could start playing with an app like that so you get a feel the nutritional breakdown of different foods.

This is a time or you to develop a new relationship with food. If your doctor does not require sessions with a psychogist that specializes in eating disorders I suggest you go on your own. These sessions really helped me understand why I overate, and why I made poor food choices.

Learn new food habits. Plan your meals/snacks in advance. Failing to plan WILL lead to you making bad food choices. You know how you go out shopping on a Saturday and now it's hitting dinner time. You know you should not get the ice cream or fries for a snack but your hungry and you don't have any choice! Believe it or not you always have a choice to not eat. If you carry a low fat/cal Protein bar in the car you can eat that for 200 cals; this will hold you over until you can get home and eat a healthy dinner.

The band will help you eat less food but it will never stopped you from eating unhealthy foods. Ice cream, cake, candy, chips will pass right through the band. This is the time to learn to eat healthy. Carbs are okay but they can't be a major part of your life. One way to have eat sandwiches is to take a romaine lettuce spread laughing cow cheese down the spine add chicken breast, mustard and fold. Sandwich without bread!

My final consult is not until oct 15. Ugh!!! I can't lose more than ten pounds before then or my bmi will fall below 40. I have spent the last two weeks saying goodbye to binge eating by stuffing myself and now I just want to get started feeling better.

I am planing on restarting my workout video to build up some calorie burning muscle.

I colored my hair today.

I did my nails.

I began taking my daily Multivitamin.< /p>

I am practicing chewing my food more.

You guys have any other ideas as to what I could start doing now that would not cause me to dip below required bmi, but would also get me started on my new self?

You did not mention if you had any comorbidities...I was approved when my BMI was 38, however I also had 4 comorbidities.

One additional, essential "habit" you can begin to develop now is to begin to drink more Water or other SF/FF liquids every day. Staying properly hydrated is mandatory for everyone, but especially for bandsters.

Best wishes...

I've taken out some WLS books from the library, I've been trying the recipes and trying to read all the tips to prepare myself.

All good ideas!

It would be interesting to see how my food choices hage once I star paying attention to labels. I have only ever really watched fat before. I have no idea how much Protein my diet has. And I'm afraid an actual calorie count would blow my mind!

I have already been Internet shopping for smaller clothes, maybe I will go ahead and get something.

Love the Water reminder. What's a good goal for water intake?

All good ideas!

It would be interesting to see how my food choices hage once I star paying attention to labels. I have only ever really watched fat before. I have no idea how much Protein my diet has. And I'm afraid an actual calorie count would blow my mind!

I have already been Internet shopping for smaller clothes, maybe I will go ahead and get something.

Love the Water reminder. What's a good goal for Water intake?

I usually drink between 80-90 oz of water a day. I believe that is a bit more than would be considered average.

Directly post op, it was impossible to drink the amount the surgeon wanted me to but over time it became much easier. I just structure my day/evening and know by a certain point in the day that by this time, I should have 1 bottle of water down, then another 2 hours, another 18oz. and so on.

And just an additional tip...it's never been difficult for me to wait an entire hour post meal before being allowed to resume sipping water if prior to beginning my meal I have had sufficient water. Some bandsters have a difficult time with this...and not having anything to drink during your meals would be an additional skill to develop as you approach your surgery date.

Best wishes...

I've been waiting 6mths to send my papers in for insurance approval and in that time I have read WLS books, been addicted to this forum. I've taken what I'm learning and trying a lot out pre surgery. Like- eating small bites, chewing, chewing, chewing, putting my fork down between bites, drinking my Water, testing different Protein Shakes, gathering recipes. I'm trying to break old habits before surgery.

I've used this time as a Lapband class. I hope I get an A+ lol

Good luck on your journey!

I'd also recommend practicing eating slowly, making sure everything you eat is down to a soft paste. Oddly it's the soft foods that are the hardest to remember to chew

I also would add to stop drinking any liquid ten minutes before meals and up to an hour after meals- this will be something necessary for banded life.

I have been reading MANY books and making notes in a book about stuff I want to come back to or try post band.....I have my consult Thursday but looking like surgery won't be until week after Thanksgiving. The way mine works is they log your BMI at the beginning and then they want to see some wright loss to show you can make changes. They refer the insurance to the STARTING BMI.