Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded a little over a month ago and have 2 questions concerning what i can eat or drink.The first is coffee.Can i still drink it? The second is hot sauce.I put it on everything,but im not sure if i should.Does anyone no if these two are allowed?Please let me know.

I think both are fine. The only issue I beleive would be the hot sauce would make you want to drink. I still use it but put an ice cube in my mouth then spit it out.

Hey Jeff - coffee should be fine for you at this point. The restrictions I got from my surgeon were only for the first few weeks to help avoid dehydration. I think you should try the hot sauce in moderation and see how it goes. The only harm I can see it causing would be if it makes you gassy. Many people find that food tastes and affects them differently after banding.

PS - GREAT point about the hot sauce making you want to drink!! No drinking for an hour after meals might put a crimp in your spicy food lifestyle. *winks*

i drink like 3 cups of coffee every morning. i feel like it makes it easier to have food. as for the hot sauce, i don't touch that, ever. even before banding. i am a wimp!

As far as the coffee, I was drinking it the day after...no problem...it was actually soothing because of the heat and the same goes for hot tea. The hot sauce doesn't seem to me like it would be a problem but if it is too hot you might want to drink more...so just use in moderation until you get used to it again.

It's bad enough I'm going to have to give up my Dr. Pepper Diet Cherry vanilla and my Diet Root Beer, but please don't take my coffee away. As for the hot sauce, what a brave soul you are. I cower at anything more than a mild sauce with Mexican food. Good luck.

Yeah, Kathy! road trip to help me pack! I've got the good stuff! French pressed Kenyan AA :D

I'm fine with hot sauce. I don't use an habinaero sauce very often, and I find that serrano's are a bit too hot for me, but I've never had a problem with my band and hot & spicy.

Same here... I had coffee the day after surgery THANK YOU !! PHEWW! I think as long as you can tollerate the hot sauce then go for it. Do a little at a time b/c you don't wanna upset your tummy.

Hi Jeff,

I love spicy food! As a matter of fact, I just finished a bowl of blended chili with extra hot sauce! As for coffee, remember how Regina in nutrition class told us that caffiene can possibly contribute to gastritis? Well, I said then and I'll say now... I didn't have gastritis for 35 years, so why would I get it now? I still drink it! Also, I've been enjoying some wine (even though they said no alcohol; I think our program is more strict than anyone's!!!).

I love coffee and tea, but I'm one of those people who had gastritis coming into this. It really does a number on the gastritis, so does tomatos for me. But I have to have a cup now and again. I love it.

I've heard coffee Beans count as a vegetable & wine as a fruit....not really, but it's a nice thought. :loco: My surgeon says no coffee, but I don't think I can swing that. I only have 1-2 cups a day. :phanvan I think moderation will be the key for me.