Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Starting My Journey. Hoping For Banding In Dec 2012

Hello to everyone on this journey! I have read many stories here and I am very hopeful now in my journey. I had my first meeting with the caseworker and nutritonist today. I have my first meeting with Dr. Metz on Sept 19th. I was very down after my meeting today because the nutritionist said that very few lapband diabetics get off insulin and meds. I want to lose weight but I really want to get my diabetes under control and off meds if possible. After reading the stories here, I am more sure I want the band instead ob bypass which is what she stated is best for diabetics. I have DM2, hypertension, fibromyalgia, exercise indused asthma, and a BMI near 40. I have a Vitamix ordered and am looking forward to experimenting with it before my surgery. I hope to have some good high Protein recipes ready to use after my banding. I will share anything that is good in a Vitamix topic. I live alone except for my 2 dogs so I hope this site/forum will help me saty the coarse.

I have had laprascopic surgery when I had my appendix out in March 2008. I was emergent surgery. The MD ordered Torodal IV post-op and as I am an ICU RN I know all about this med. I have given it often but I was amazed at how well it helped with the pain. I got 2 doses and the 2nd dose was given right before they pulled my IV for me to go home. I plan fo asking Dr. Metz for this med post-op. One important issue with this med is good renal function which thankfully I have. FYI - Torodal helps with the inflammatory reaction to surgery. It can best be described as juiced up Ibuprofen IV.

I am not an exercise person due to my fibromyalgia. My pain is centered in my hips and even walking hurts. I am really trying to fight through this as I know exercise will help in this journey. I actually to a long 45 min/2 mile walk this afternoon. Yeah me!

I look forward to meeting all of you as we travel this journey together. We may be at different places along the path but we are all on the same journey to good health and happiness. May God bless each and everyone as we travel the hills and valleys I am sure we all will face during the life long journey.

Welcome! I am waiting for my surgery as well. It is booked for October 19th. I am very excited to start my new journey too.

Great job on the 2 mile walk! YAY YOU! Fibro is absolutely NO fun.... Check out Jean's thread on the LB Magazine tab above.....VERY interesting.

Welcome! I am waiting for my surgery as well. It is booked for October 19th. I am very excited to start my new journey too.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I wish you luck in October. How long do you have to do the pre-op diet for?

Did Metz or his staff direct you to one of the support groups? There used to be one at St Joseph's and there's always one at Skyridge and Swedish. Swedish is always 2nd Monday of every month. Ask his staff if they recommend one of the support groups. You have some unique issues and it might be good to air them out and see if anyone in the group has had similar issues? These groups are very informal and they are very receptive to new and soon to be patients.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

tmf

Everyone is different, but in January I was on 7 insulin shots every day. I started my pre-op diet in February and had my lap band surgery on March 1, 2012. I put myself on the pre-op diet for the entire month instead of the 2 weeks my doctor recommended. I am happy to say that I have not had an insulin shot since mid February. I was told by my surgeon they would give me a precautionary dose of insulin the morning of my surgery, but when they checked my meter for the previous 2 weeks they said I didn't need it. I've been banded for 6 months and have still not taken any shots or pills for diabetes. When i had blood work a couple of months ago my doctor told me i am borderline of not being considered diabetic anymore. This journey save my life. I wish you luck and look forward to your progress updates.

Great story. I too was on a lot of insulin (am dose, with meals and nighttime lantus), as well as metformin twice a day. I started the liquid pre-op diet five days ago, and I have not taken any insulin or metformin because my sugars have been perfectly normal, and I have been checking incessantly just to be on the safe side. I understand that this may or may not change once I begin adding food to the mix, but I honestly believe that since I will be making healthy choices and having smaller portions, the sugars will remain normal. Let's hope I enjoy the same success you have! Congratulations. You must be thrilled!