Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Few Questions About Pre-Op Diet....help!!!

My pre-op diet consists of a high Protein, low carb shake for Breakfast and lunch and then a palmsize potion on lean Protein, green leafy veggies and fruit. I am almost 2 weeks into my 3 week diet and I am having issues. Here goes:

I am doing okay with Breakfast and lunch with no snacking in between. But I find that by dinner time I could eat everything including the table. I tried the sugar free popscicles but I find that I am craving meat, meat and more meat. I bought some turkey sausage links and snacked on 3 at a time (they are about 2 inches long) before dinner. I am so hungry at dinner I find that I am having a hard time eating tiny bites and chewing thoroughly. I am worried I will screw up my diet and they won't be able to do the surgery next week because my liver will not have shrunk enough. Any advice?

Also, I have looked through all of my instructions and it doesn't meantion cantaloupe at all. That is what I have been eating because it is my favorite fruit next to bananas. Does this have too much sugar?

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to suggest if you are craving meat, you are craving Protein and are not getting enough. A good rule of thumb calculation for protein consumption is weight x 0.3= grams in protein.

The preop diet is hard but it is important that you stick to it. If you are having problems phone your Dr's and ask if there is anything else you are allowed to eat.

I would suggest having some low calorie Soup before your evening meal, i do this every day and have lost all my weight eating a lot of soup, it acts as a filler and can easily halve your appetite which will help those hunger pains. Weight Watchers Tomato Soup is the best, 71 calories .. its the only decent flavour one to be honest, I had soup both pre-op and post op and a year and half later and 240lbs lighter i still have soup before my evening meal. It is part of a regime called volumetrics which is all about feeling full on as least calories as possible.

I make my own green veg soup and have that every day for lunch too, soup has been my saviour in this band life,it doesnt work for everyone but it does work for some of us, if u are unsure ask your doctor if u can have one before your meal while u are on this pre-op :).

I have a question: Does everyone get a pre-op diet? I met with the nutritionist, but she didn't put me on a diet. She merely talked about low carb, low fats and gave me literature on post-op.

I have a question: Does everyone get a pre-op diet? I met with the nutritionist, but she didn't put me on a diet. She merely talked about low carb, low fats and gave me literature on post-op.

My program had two different pre-op diet. They had the Pre-Bariatric Surgery diet, which started about two months before surgery (or as soon as you saw the nutritionist) that consisted of a well balanced, high Protein, low calorie meal plan.

Then there was the big Pre-Op Diet, which would take place 2 weeks before your surgery date. It was all milk, 20 ounces, 3x a day.

I saw the surgeon for the consult and was banded 12 days later, and since my BMI was borderline he opted to not have me do the Pre-Op diet. I also had to stop my Pre-Bariatric diet after a few weeks because my BMI was below insurance qualifications and I hadn't seen the surgeon yet to have my number submitted.

Each program has different recommendations, but it's not unheard of to not have a set pre-op diet.