Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do I have less restriction with more fill?

I got .2 MORE cc's put in my band last Tuesday. So why do I have less restriction than I had right before? This happens occasionally when I get fills. It lasts until the next fill. I'm not losing saline - we've checked. Does this happen to anyone else?

Bumping for responses. C'mon people!

The day of my fills, I have almost zero restriction. I always play it safe and try to eat just Soup, but by evening I can eat a regular meal. I don't start to tighten up until about the next day.

You know, this is something that puzzles the heck out of me as well. I had my first (and only) fill a month ago. I did my two days on liquids with no problem. Wasn't hungry at all. Then about day 3 or 4, the gates opened wide and in charged the hunger! I ate two meals within an hour of one another. They were good meals and I didn't go over may daily calorie limit, but geeze! I couldn't believe I was able to eat that much chicken AND veggies AND fruit.. TWICE! I expected the total opposite. This lasted for two days, I think?, and then I went back to getting hungry every three hours, and by week three I was down to every four hours eating no more than 1 C at a time. So, I was thinking.. ok, things are settling in now.. doing good.. no more fill needed yet.

Then I had the second one-month appt with the surgeon two days ago. I assured him that I was having no problems, felt perfect. I walked out of there and damn if the hunger didn't hit me hard. I've been ravenous since then. Could be a head thing. Not sure. I feel restricted as far as how much I can eat at one time, but I'm back to getting hungry every 3 (if not 2 hours). I'm not drinking with meals, I'm getting plenty of Protein. I just can't figure this out.

I guess it's like I saw Alexandra say on another thread. The band is a fickle bitch. *grins*

I know what you mean. I've been banded for almost a year, and I still can't figure it out. I wish I knew this before I got banded (I would have still been banded, but still). I never know what my day's going to be like. I know I eat every 2 to 3 hours. I guess the only good thing about doing this is that your metabolism stays high:)

I have the opposite problem that StrawartS mentioned. Fill anxiety makes me swell instantly! The fill doc then removes enough fill to allow fluids through and by the next day NO RESTRICTION. Geez, I have had two fills now, am at 1.0cc and have almost NO restriction. Sometimes I want to walk out of the office with a small overfill 'cause I KNOW it will lessen in 24 hours or less. The first time it opened up as I was walking to my car, immediately post-fill.

My problem's not necessarily that it's different from day to day as it is different from fill to fill. If I'm open, I'll stay open for the duration of that fill. If I'm closed, I'll stay closed for the duration of that fill as well. The thing that puzzles me is that if I'm open and go get another fill, sometimes I'm MORE open with more restriction and will be until my next fill appointment. Strange things.

Puddin.. Is your Dr like mine? Does he give you a puzzled look and act like you're obviously nuts when you tell him this stuff? I mentioned to mine that I'd heard fills might not start taking affect for a few weeks and he rolled his eyes and shook his head. *laughs* He's a great guy, but I intend to tell him that mine did that!

It would be interesting to know if anyone's ever done a study on what the stomach actually does in response to the fills. You'd think that it would tighten the stoma and give restriction. Makes sense doesn't it? But no.. sometimes it does the opposite! And the situations are so different from one person to the next. Heck just read this thread and see how different everyone is. Too weird.

Yeah, my doc gives me that sometimes. Actually, it's his nurses who give me the fills and they are puzzled when I tell them that. I think I go in twice as much as the average bandster just because of my crazy fills.

I had the thing with my first band of not knowing from day to day what I'd tolerate. I'd get fill sometimes and not feel anymore restricted than I did before. It's weird to feel less restriction though, your not doing anything that could be causing your pouch to stretch? But they'd notice that at your fills if that was the case (assuming you get fills with flouroscopy)

Are you sure they are keeping track of how much you have in your band accurately? I had times when I'd go in and my records showed I should have 2.2cc and they'd pull out 5.2cc but a couple of times it was the opposite. They'd say I had 3.8cc and pull out 2.8cc before giving me a new fill and I'd be like no wonder I can eat just about anything.

Good luck

April