Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just A Thought...do We Self-Sabotage Ourselves Sometimes?

so i was talking to a good friend of mine the other day about this and i wanted to comment on it and see if i'm the only one that does this. my friend seems to think that a lot of people do this and its a form of weightloss self sabatoge... and one of the things we have to fight against while losing weight. and, honestly, i think this happens to me every time ive tried losing weight in the past. and this time, praise God, i have been able to NOTICE it and, therefore, fight against it.

i was banded on 7-2-12 (so almost 2 months ago)... i'm down 43 pounds (this includes some pre-op loss). i haven't been under 250 in YEARS and that seems to be the hump that i always struggled with! everytime i've lost a significant amount... i haven't been able to get under that. (thats my goal by my anniversary in 3 weeks... 249! i'm at 254 now) anyway, i tend to weigh everyday (i know, i probably shouldn't, but i will keep doing it LOL).... and in the back of my mind, its almost like i EXPECT it to be higher! even if i've been eating right and exercising, i still half-expect for me to have gained weight. and in the back of my mind, i keep thinking that my weightloss so far was a fluke and i will probably stop losing at any moment. its so crazy! in retrospect, i realize this is about the time when, in the past, i've struggled and then started gaining again. i've completely self-sabotaged myself in the past and thats why i haven't been able to get under 250! i have even started to want to eat a little of the stuff i shouldn't! completely self sabotaging myself again! BUT.... the difference this time is that i've NOTICED it.... i realize that i'm thinking this way so i can at least fight against the thoughts. as GI Joe used to say (yes, i watched that as a kid!)... 'knowing is half the battle.' so now i just have go on that scale... knowing that i WILL lose... that its NOT a fluke... and that my hard work is paying off. and try to accept that this time WILL be different.

so i wanted to share this. maybe you're going through this as well. and maybe you haven't even noticed! have you felt like this? am i the only one?

You are not the only one. I do the same thing. It took me over 1 month to get under 200 lbs. I was at 201 and couldn't break it. I did everything I was supposed to do but in my head I kept thinking I will never weigh under 200. Once I finally hit that goal, the weigh started coming off again. Now I'm stuck at 190, same problem.... my head is stopping me. Uggghhhh.

so i was talking to a good friend of mine the other day about this and i wanted to comment on it and see if i'm the only one that does this. my friend seems to think that a lot of people do this and its a form of weightloss self sabatoge... and one of the things we have to fight against while losing weight. and, honestly, i think this happens to me every time ive tried losing weight in the past. and this time, praise God, i have been able to NOTICE it and, therefore, fight against it.

i was banded on 7-2-12 (so almost 2 months ago)... i'm down 43 pounds (this includes some pre-op loss). i haven't been under 250 in YEARS and that seems to be the hump that i always struggled with! everytime i've lost a significant amount... i haven't been able to get under that. (thats my goal by my anniversary in 3 weeks... 249! i'm at 254 now) anyway, i tend to weigh everyday (i know, i probably shouldn't, but i will keep doing it LOL).... and in the back of my mind, its almost like i EXPECT it to be higher! even if i've been eating right and exercising, i still half-expect for me to have gained weight. and in the back of my mind, i keep thinking that my weightloss so far was a fluke and i will probably stop losing at any moment. its so crazy! in retrospect, i realize this is about the time when, in the past, i've struggled and then started gaining again. i've completely self-sabotaged myself in the past and thats why i haven't been able to get under 250! i have even started to want to eat a little of the stuff i shouldn't! completely self sabotaging myself again! BUT.... the difference this time is that i've NOTICED it.... i realize that i'm thinking this way so i can at least fight against the thoughts. as GI Joe used to say (yes, i watched that as a kid!)... 'knowing is half the battle.' so now i just have go on that scale... knowing that i WILL lose... that its NOT a fluke... and that my hard work is paying off. and try to accept that this time WILL be different.

so i wanted to share this. maybe you're going through this as well. and maybe you haven't even noticed! have you felt like this? am i the only one?

I believe that the pattern of automatic thoughts which keep your thinking in a pattern of "catastrophic" thinking are not self sabotage, but instead indicative of a belief in a lack of self confidence to be able to actually be successful to achieve a goal you have set for yourself.

There is a psychology behind our thoughts, and it is often difficult to stay grounded in accurate thinking rather than to revert back to the previous inaccurate beliefs which keep us emotionally handicapped and primed for failure so then you are able to validate yourself that you were correct all along that you could not/would not be successful.

This maladaptive pattern of thinking is common, and highly evident when we think about the progress we are actually making with weight loss, and instead focus on not believing what the scale says or the reality of trying to continue to wear the clothing which no longer fits.

It can take some time for the "head" to catch up with the body in both automatic thoughts and in establishing an accurate self body image. It's a major adjustment, and as with other changes you are in the process of making, this does take some time.

Self sabotage is more about intentionally eating something you should not, then gaining weight, and then validating the series of events by telling yourself "I told you that you would fail."

It's a negative thinking cycle which can be broken...it just takes practice and accurately acknowledging that you can and are being successful with achieving your goals.

Best wishes...

]It's a negative thinking cycle which can be broken...it just takes practice and accurately acknowledging that you can and are being successful with achieving your goals.

couldnt have said this any better than my pal sojo :)

Recognize that reasonably-sized changes--even baby steps or micromovements, that you are willing to practice consistently will help you gradually rewire what feels good to you....Michelle May

Ask for your limitations and they're yours...Richard Bach

Sometimes to get where you want to go, you have to do what you are afraid to do. You must be brave and push forward. Miracles occur when you give as much attention and energy to your dreams as you do to your fears....Unknown

Yes, they're hokey comments but seem to fit how you feel? I could say the same thing with every 5 lb plateau I've hit. But I try real hard not to.

tmf