Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want Your Opinion

I am 57 yrs old, 5' 3" and weight approx 205 LBS. I have type 2 diabetis, high cholesterol, a fatty liver, and acid reflux. I have lost weight in the past but put it right back on. I can't tell you how many times I have lost the same 20 pounds! My head tells me I want to be thin and healthy and use the lab band as a tool but I love to eat and quite frankly am hesitant and scared. I have talked to a surgeon about lap band and have to talk to a nutritionist tomorrow. I keep asking myself if I want to do this, am I ready to make this life changing decision? Can I do it without the surgery? Did any of you go through this too?

I asked my surgeon which WLS he would recommend if his wife was going to have WLS. He said it would depend on her co-morbidities. For someone with diabetes, he would recommend either the sleeve or bypass. I have a friend with Type 2 diabetes that wants to have lapband because she has seen my success. I told to her to explore the sleeve because of its help with diabetes.

Pre-band I had high blood pressure and acid reflux, both of which were totally gone within a matter of months of my surgery. I wouldn't go back for anything. Just wish I'd done it sooner!

I, too, never had trouble losing weight; it was just keeping it off. Lost and regained the same 20-30 pounds more times than I even want to count! I look at lapband as my insurance policy to keep the weight off this time.

Your profile is almost identical to mine...and to have doubts about one's ability to be successful with making the life altering decisions and then self enforce the lifetime diet changes is normal.

There's no way to sugar coat the realities of the band...it is only a tool to help you loose weight...you still need to do the daily difficult work and comply with your diet and exercise to be successful with weight loss.

The band has helped to diminish my hunger, but it does not eliminate it. It does nothing to help manage "head hunger"...you need to get an understanding of what that is, and enforce your diet compliance.

With fills over time, you will get restriction, and then you will have negative consequences if you eat too fast or don't chew your food thoroughly. Some people report that they get to a level of restriction where they no longer get hungry, but my bariatric surgeon has advised me that in reality very few achieve that level of restriction and hunger control...it's still up to us to enforce our diet.

I've got restriction...and I know that I could easily get food "stuck" if I'm not aware and careful during meals. And I still get hungry, though usually not for 4 hours after a meal.

I was racing against the Type 2 diabetes clock, which pushed me into action to get the band. I have never thoroughly investigated other types of WLS, so I can't render an opinion about them. I only know that I did not feel comfortable with the thought of rearranging my GI tract.

I believe that you need to research WLS, and be certain in your level of motivation and resolve to be successful with what you choose to do. Peace of mind is a priceless commodity...

Best wishes as you consider your options...

Thank you both for replying to my post. I know that I would only consider lapband at this point. I would not do bypass or sleeve. My diabetis is barely over the line at this point so as long as I don't gain more weight I should be ok. I think my biggest fear is food getting stuck and throwing up and not being able to dine out and do the things I do now. All of them involve food of course which is what got me in this shape in the first place! I also love beer. That is going to be hard to give up!

I met with the surgeon and he briefly went over a few things, asked me if I had questions and at the time I did not. Now I do. I haven't met with anyone else or had any counseling or informational type meeting so I am still facing a lot of unknown.

Everone with a successful band can dine out. Some still drink a bit of beer. Not everyone throws up all the time. I have to wonder though if beer is really a reason you aren't going to get the surgery I don't think you really want it in the first place.

Thank you for your response Banderama. I believe you misunderstood what I wrote though. I didn't say I wasn't going to get the surgery, just voicing some of my fears.

Thank you for your response Banderama. I believe you misunderstood what I wrote though. I didn't say I wasn't going to get the surgery' date=' just voicing some of my fears.[/quote']

Roxa all your fears are normal. Even on the day of surgery as I was being wheeled into the theatre I was still saying to myself what the hell are you doing. Forward two months later, beat decision I've made concerning weightloss.

I don't see this new phase as a diet but a lifestyle change. Yes it's a different way of eating and everything in moderation is the key. After attending a seminar held by my nutritionist this week it helped me immensely. She even told the class if you like your wine and need it every day a 100ml glass is fine, uf you like beer then change to light but limit yourself. It's all about Portion Control, healthy choices. I still eat my chocolate regularly and am still losing weight. About getting stuck, it happens but usually because the food pieces are not small enough and haven't been cheered properly. Some of us can eat some foods others can't, it's trial and error also.

To be honest that awful uncontrollable sugar craving I used to have has disappeared with the band, sure I still get my chocolate craving but it's a normal craving, if that makes sense, and a small amount satisfies me instead of a truck load.

My advice is to get yourself a nutritionist who is experienced in the Bariatric field and she will be able to guide you with food choices and healthier alternatives.

I regret not getting this lapband in earlier it's made such a positive change to my life.

I wish you the best in your decisions and journey if you go ahead with it all.

Thank you so much! That helped me tremendously! I was looking for reassurance and you gave it. I go back and forth. One minute I think its a bad idea and then the next minute I can't wait. The waiting for the approval from the insurance company is the worst but on the other hand no one can say I jumped into it either. I am anxious to get on with my "new life". I joined a gym yesterday.

Thanks again!

ROXA: I was banded on 6-18-12 pre liquid diet I weighed 235lbs. I had been on 1500mg of Metformin a day to control

My blood sugar for the last 13 years. Two days before my surgery I stopped the Metformin. I have not been on medicine for blood sugar since. I test my blood first thing in the morning and I am usually in the 80's and the highest was 117. At some point I will stop testing. I never imagined that I would get off Metformin...... Now I am trying to get off my blood pressure meds. Today I weighed 205. Good luck.... It can happen!!

That is great Khlut! I take 1000ml of Metformin and am just barely over the line as far as being a "borderline" diabetic. If I would continue to gain weight that would get worse though I think. I would love to live in a world without acid reflux. It has been so bad lately. The surgeon said the band would help a lot.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the encouraging words. :)