Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow! I'm Guessing I Know What Restriction Is Now...

So I was banded on 4/27, had my first fill of 3 cc's on 6/08. Up until 2 weeks ago, I didn't feel much... I was eating about half maybe a slight bit more, of the amount of food that I could eat pre-band. I was patient though, taking my surgeons advice of not to expect a big difference for the first six months... I'd lost about 20 lbs total up until 2 weeks ago. Then... All of a sudden I woke up on a Tuesday morning two weeks ago and BAM! For the first time I felt tight, I had a couple of stuck episodes and had to begin eating much more slowly with much smaller bites. I hadn't had another fill since June, but for some reason it kicked in. Maybe additional liquid from the tube? Who knows....

Anyhow, I had an appt with my surgeon last Wednesday for another fill. When I explained everything, he said he normally fills 2 cc's, but thought that I would only need 1 cc, and I agreed. Since then I'm a little tighter and cannot take more than a few bites of everything before I feel full. Granted, it's not the stuffed feeling of pre-band, but it is a sensation of full and satisfied that keeps you from eating anymore. It's annoying because my eyes want more, but fantastic because I know it's not needed. I've lost about 6 lbs just in the past two weeks and I finally feel like the band is being the tool that it is meant to be. Because of the limited quantity, I feel obligated to make sure that everything that I put in my mouth has nutritional value and isn't garbage.

I'm excited for the first time since surgery and all that I can say is this is truly a slow process that one needs patience for.

Congratulations on restriction!

Thank you! It's relieving.

I was banded on 2nd July, 2012, on the day of the op 4.2mls was put into my band, three weeks later my surgeon put in .8mls, for the first few days i had no hunger but then it returned but I had no restriction. My surgeon told me that he finds the hunger returns by the third week after post op so he commences fills at three weeks post op if needed. My second fill was two weeks later, .5mls was put in, didn't feel any different but a week later a piece if broccoli showed me I finally had some restriction. Two weeks later another . 7mls was added making a total of 6.2mls in my 12cc band. For a few days I felt no difference and then I noticed even more restriction and no more hunger. I have another appointment for two weeks after my last fill but if I keep feeling as I am with some restriction and no hunger all day I'll ask not to have more put in. I like that I don't have too much restriction and I do take small bites and stop as soon as I get that sated feeling which is pretty much always at the twenty minute mark. I've only been banded eight weeks and feel at this point I'm at a comfortable place withy band doing what it's supposed to for me. I did start to slow my eating down way before I was banded and followed the one cup of food rule till sated, was hard but good training for when I was banded. I'm losing over a kilo a week and am happy with that. I was so worried once I had made the decision to have a lapband put in that I didn't have it in me to do what was needed to succeed but so far so good. I'm lucky to have an amazing surgeon who has helped me to get to where I need to be in such a short time. Fingers crossed I am in the green zone right now because it sure feels like it.

So 6.2mls in a 12ml band in two months with enough restriction and no hunger most of the day.

So I was banded on 4/27' date=' had my first fill of 3 cc's on 6/08. Up until 2 weeks ago, I didn't feel much... I was eating about half maybe a slight bit more, of the amount of food that I could eat pre-band. I was patient though, taking my surgeons advice of not to expect a big difference for the first six months... I'd lost about 20 lbs total up until 2 weeks ago. Then... All of a sudden I woke up on a Tuesday morning two weeks ago and BAM! For the first time I felt tight, I had a couple of stuck episodes and had to begin eating much more slowly with much smaller bites. I hadn't had another fill since June, but for some reason it kicked in. Maybe additional liquid from the tube? Who knows....

Anyhow, I had an appt with my surgeon last Wednesday for another fill. When I explained everything, he said he normally fills 2 cc's, but thought that I would only need 1 cc, and I agreed. Since then I'm a little tighter and cannot take more than a few bites of everything before I feel full. Granted, it's not the stuffed feeling of pre-band, but it is a sensation of full and satisfied that keeps you from eating anymore. It's annoying because my eyes want more, but fantastic because I know it's not needed. I've lost about 6 lbs just in the past two weeks and I finally feel like the band is being the tool that it is meant to be. Because of the limited quantity, I feel obligated to make sure that everything that I put in my mouth has nutritional value and isn't garbage.

I'm excited for the first time since surgery and all that I can say is this is truly a slow process that one needs patience for.[/quote']

I can relate my eyes see that I don't eat enough and want more but luckily I fill full

Congrats! That is what I need right now. Sometimes I feel no restriction, then a bite of chicken will show me. I want that full feeling right now and I am not getting it all of the time.