Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

But What If I Don't Want To Eat?

I'm having a problem and I wonder if anyone can help me.

My NUT and Surgeon have me on a strict three meal, two snack (optional) a day diet. The point to try and keep my tummy full. But there are days where I am not remotely hungry, and I go one or two meals without eating. Usually Breakfast and/or lunch, sometimes dinner.( Not all three at a time) I've always been this way. I keep a food journal, and cross off when I don't eat and my NUT does NOT like that. But I'm not hungry! And, yes, sometimes that leads to eating more at night to make up for the lack of food during the day. That's why my NUT wants three meals a day. Sometimes I force food down just so I can fill the space on my food journal. That doesn't seem right.

Do I press the issue of wanting to only eat when I'm actually hungry, with my NUT? I see her point, but sometimes I hate food. Oh and BTW, I'm not NOT eating because I'm trying to lose more pounds. No, no! I'm more worried about losing muscle mass by not eating.

What do I do?

If I didn't want to eat, I wouldn't eat, but I would make sure I had a Protein Drink if I wasn't going to eat a meal. I listen to my body and don't eat unless I'm hungry. I think my body knows better than a nutritionist what it needs. Just my humble opinion!

Skip meals can cause you to not lose weight. I was told 3 meals no matter what. On a daily basis I struggle to get 800 calories because I'm not hungry but I do get my Protein in and that is important

Toddy, thats a good idea, drinking a Protein shake. When I have the money (I'm flat broke) I'm going to test out Protein powders.

When they weigh me at the clinic, they see if I'm losing fat or muscle...don't want to lose muscle. Will the shakes prevent me from losing muscle?

Try to follow your nutrtionists advice. If you don't eat enough, your body goes into starvation mode. If you eat too much at one sitting, your body will store the excess as fat. It's best to spread out your intake over an entire day not once a day.

tmf

tmf,

You know? You're totally right. Besides, don't want my nutritionist to yell at me! :lol:

Thank you.

I just don't know how to not hate food sometimes. I really, really have the hardest time forcing myself to eat, sometimes it makes me nauseous just thinking about it.

If you aren't hungry don't eat. The books and info that I got all state that 3 meals a day or less or fine. Who came up with the 3 meals per day thing anyway? Yes it probably suits some people but I don't believe it should be a 1 size suits all thing. Eat when you are hungry - not when the clock says you should.

If you aren't hungry don't eat. The books and info that I got all state that 3 meals a day or less or fine. Who came up with the 3 meals per day thing anyway? Yes it probably suits some people but I don't believe it should be a 1 size suits all thing. Eat when you are hungry - not when the clock says you should.

Just be sure you don't eat 1200 calories in one sitting. You don't want to stretch your pouch and your body can't metabolize that much food without storing the excess energy.

And every time I see one of these posts where people are not hungry, I go green with envy. I'm always hungry. Mostly head hunger but I can eat all day long if I want.(I don't)

tmf

Me too!

It's very important to know what your daily Protein goal is, and try your best to meet it every day. A Protein shake is an excellent substitute for a meal if you do not feel like eating.

Another concern is eating more food at night...night is not the time to make up for what you have missed during the day. That would definitely be the time to have a Protein Shake.

You need to have the protein to avoid loosing your muscle mass.