Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am starting my lapband journey and VERY excited about it. I have been overweight for over twenty years and at 30 I feel like I'm slowly dying. I have come to the realization that this is bigger than me and I need help, hence the lapband surgery. I had an emergency c-section two years ago to deliver my twins, and literally had NO support other than my fiancé. It was extremely hard and I suffered from depression and mild PTSD post surgery. I'm scared about the surgery and how to manage after considering my support circle is VERY small. My mother is a public Healy nurse, herbalist, and diet guru but she's also a very mean and judgmental woman and I feel I cannot be truthful with her about surgery. I know she could be a great source of support for me but I don't know if I can handle the judgement and condemnation that comes with her being involved. Any advice?

Having a history of depression along with a judgmental, non supportive parent I would suggest you take advantage of any psych offered through your surgeon/clinic.

The support you can receive here is great but in no way can replace the medical help from a qualified professional.

With that said, GOOD FOR YOU! Having surgery is not an easy decision to make and there will be struggles with old habits that having the band will not take away. The most common regret I've read about on here is not having the surgery sooner. With two - two year olds this is also a great gift you are giving them - a healthy mom!

Good for you. You deserve it. It is the absolute best thing I have ever done for myself.

Welcome!

Am starting my lapband journey and VERY excited about it. I have been overweight for over twenty years and at 30 I feel like I'm slowly dying. I have come to the realization that this is bigger than me and I need help, hence the lapband surgery. I had an emergency c-section two years ago to deliver my twins, and literally had NO support other than my fiancé. It was extremely hard and I suffered from depression and mild PTSD post surgery. I'm scared about the surgery and how to manage after considering my support circle is VERY small. My mother is a public Healy nurse, herbalist, and diet guru but she's also a very mean and judgmental woman and I feel I cannot be truthful with her about surgery. I know she could be a great source of support for me but I don't know if I can handle the judgement and condemnation that comes with her being involved. Any advice?

The hospital you are having your surgery done at may have an active support group that meets there, so check into it.

Pre op is the best time to have any residual issues you may have with PTSD addressed...and also to be certain that your mood disorder is stable with counseling and/or medications. Post op there will be numerous chemical and physiological changes that you will be coping with, so you want to be in the best possible emotional health prior to surgery.

It's always sad to read that individuals have unsupportive family members...ideally they should be the "go to" people for emotional support. There may be other options...the hospital support group, and even this forum. There are many participants here who are very knowledgeable and willing to share their insights and best practices with others who are on similar weight loss journeys.

You are doing something positive for yourself...best wishes as your journey begins...