Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, I am new and am impressed how generous and insightful people are on this forum.

I am an American living now in Melbourne Australia, am married with 3 kids and 2 new puppies.

Any words of wisdom to get prepared for the surgery is most welcome!!! Please let know, those who have had the surgery, if they would have done anything different pre-op what would that be.

What is happening now:

My weight became an issue after my last child- gesational diabetes, other complications, and further down the road , loss, stress, and entirely too much work and not enough play.

The additional weight has caused emotional and medical issues, and I have been trying tirelessly for the last 10 years with no success. I was very athletic prior to my last pregnancy so not being able to get physically fit has been hard.

I am excited to find this forum and get information and have people to communicate with who have been through the same.

My journey has just started-

Primary care physician suggessted again (for the millionth time) losing weight would help most of my health issues, so we agreed that I needed more help and after discussion and review she gave me a referral to a lap band surgeon.

Met with Surgeon Peter Nottle in Williamstown, Victoria. Good talk. Amazing when you speak with a physician who "knows your story" before you introduce yourself. He was very very positive. We are looking at September 21 if all other steps to the process go well.

3 mandatory appointments:

• Met with the nutritionist. Went well. Not sure how to stay on Opti Fast for 3 weeks prior to surgery without screaming, but if that is what is required it just has to be!
  • Met with Psychiatrist. Also went well. We both agreed behaviour modification will be hard and she had a lot of good strategies. Have already set up a post op appointment to help deal with whatever is necessary- especially any emotional fallouts- if I can afford it, I think this may be a key to me being able to succeed- meeting with the psych for new ways to cope until I can figure them out on my own- especially as i am living far away from family support. I really like how I can go to one place to meet with my Dr., nutritionist, or psych. Feels like they all want me to succeed and will be available.
  • Today I meet with a Dr. to review blood work, respiratory, etc. It is 1.5 hour appt. so I am curious what we will be doing!!!!!!! I need approval from him so I am crossing my fingers.

Next steps:

September 1- Start 3 week Optifast

September 3- Post Op (dr. is away so this has to be sooner than later)

September 21- Scheduled surgery- overnight at Avenue Hospital in Melbourne

THanks everyone!!!

Congratulations on making the right choice. I hope you do amazing!

3 weeks on Optifast seems like a little too much, I did only two weeks, the good thing is that those shakes are really tasty and after the second day I didn't have cravings but then the last two days I wanted something salty so I would make me a cup of chicken broth and that would help my cravings.

Cooper123, thanks for the note of support- I see that you are 1 month in after surgery- very inspiring.....

Welcome to this great forum. And yes I agree with you, there are people here who are willing to help in anyway. Most have gone through all that your journey will take you. Feel free to ask any questions here.

Be Positive and Best Wishes on upcoming Band date.

Yeah, tomorrow is gonna be one month and I am so excited about it. I couldn't be happier about making this decision and you will be to. Keep us posted of your ups and downs, it's important to keep each other motivated.

Are you paying out of pocket or going through insurance. I am new to the whole lapband process. I've been reading these forums for about 5 months. I finally decided last month to go for a consultation. The doctor said I did qualify but because I have United Healthcare, I have to go through a six month process before they approve it. So I am hoping to have the surgery in Feb. 2013. I wish I didn't have to wait so long but I can't afford it without insurance. I've been having so many stomach issues the last 3 to 4 years. I've gained so much weight this last year that I am starting to get depressed. I don't want to go out anymore because I am ashamed at how much weight I've gained. I have hypothyroid issues and in June I had bells palsy. My doctors keep telling me to lose weight and try not to stress so much. I've tried weight watchers twice and lost 20lbs and gained it all back plus 10 more lbs.

Anyway, I am glad I joined this forum and I look forward to Feb. 2013.

Welcome, Texas girl. I am in Dallas and scheduled to be banded Aug. 31. Have some dear friends in Sydney. I understand that Australia is the blue ribbon of lapband surgery, so you should be in excellent hands. I've read all of Rojassanoll's posts. He is recently banded and gives great advice. Also, he knows so much about banding through his own research and his sister works for Allergan ( I think) so he knows a lot about banding. Nice to hear others experiences. Best of luck.

Are you paying out of pocket or going through insurance. I am new to the whole lapband process. I've been reading these forums for about 5 months. I finally decided last month to go for a consultation. The doctor said I did qualify but because I have United Healthcare, I have to go through a six month process before they approve it. So I am hoping to have the surgery in Feb. 2013. I wish I didn't have to wait so long but I can't afford it without insurance. I've been having so many stomach issues the last 3 to 4 years. I've gained so much weight this last year that I am starting to get depressed. I don't want to go out anymore because I am ashamed at how much weight I've gained. I have hypothyroid issues and in June I had bells palsy. My doctors keep telling me to lose weight and try not to stress so much. I've tried weight watchers twice and lost 20lbs and gained it all back plus 10 more lbs.

Anyway, I am glad I joined this forum and I look forward to Feb. 2013.

I get fustrated with the 6month wait, too, BUT that being said I am very grateful for it as well!!

I fully agree with the time to gradually adopt changes. Taking 20+ minutes to eat a meal sounds easy... in a fast-paced life it isn't! Even the time to practice chew, chew, chewing takes some time to truly make something second nature.

Honestly, I don't know that I have ever stuck through an honest to goodness diet for 6 months. I either thought "I got this" and didn't or I got frustrated and quit.

I am happy to say I am gradually adopting the lifestyle and while I have slips, I am thinking 24-7 about behavior changes now.

Just promise yourself to make the most out of the 6 months. It has actually gone by pretty fast!! I love the countdown ticker, too!! I look at it every few days and say "Holy Crap!! It's almost time!!"