Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes Months Later?

Just a question for those people who are 6 months plus past surgery. Are you able to get in all the Protein you need without too many calories without resorting to Protein Shakes? Now that I'm banded (a newby 8 days out) I am really not liking the shakes anymore. I'm compromising protein because I don't think I could drink a shake now without a gun to my head, and then I'd probably throw it up. I'm realizing I got them down so easy on the pre-op diet because I basically chugged them. The thought of having to rely on them for the rest of my life turns my stomach. But is that a reality?

I still drink my Protein everyday. It helps with weight loss. I tried several shakes before I found one I liked. It is the EAS Myoplex chocolate Fudge 42g of protein. It is ready to drink. I stick them in the fridge and drink half in the morning and half in the afternoon. Keeps me from snacking all day if I start off with protein in the morning and don't eat Breakfast till 9. I have a hard time getting in a good source of protein. chicken and beef get stuck easily and I can't eat that much fish! If I eat any more cheese, I think I will turn into a peice! Have you checked out myfitnesspal.com ? They have a way cool way to keep a food journal, something I could never do in a book and WOW! Really makes you aware of where you are making mistakes and where you are doing good! Give them a try and if you do, add me as a friend bornready01, you can see my food diary and get hints on what other people are eating.

I only drink Protein Shakes when needed. For example if my Protein intake for the day is low or if am hungry in between meals. My favorite Protein Shake is EAS strawberry cream its only 100 calories 3 carbs and its not thick at all. I love it !!!!

I have no problem with meat or cheese, but I drink a Protein drink a couple of times a week..Generally out of boredom. I have been banded 13 months.

Melinda in Florida

I agree with using myfitnesspal to track your food, that way you know you are hitting all your numbers as far as Protein, fats, carbs, etc...I do find, some days, that I need a shake to fulfill my protein goal for a day where I didn't eat a whole lot of protein. I get stuck on chicken, most beef besides filet, and I eat fish a few times a week....the other days I get my protein from legumes, a good healthy source of lean protein, and Greek yogurt. Once you are adjusted to the green zone, you may find that often, you aren't hungry in the morning, and even if you are, you may get stuck on anything you try to eat...I get stuck on yogurt sometimes...nothing severe, it passes within a few minutes, but its annoying for sure. Drinking hot coffee or tea can help loosen the band in the am, but some days a shake for breakfast is all I can manage. Like the previous poster mentioned, it will help with cravings during the day. Don't worry, you won't be sick of shakes forever...if there was ever a time I hated then, it was post op...I swore I'd never drink another! Isopure Protein Powder tastes really good, its 50 grams of protein for 2scoops, and about 200 calories, no carbs, no sugars...herbalife is a good option too if you like to switch up your flavors all the time.

I have to agree with the majority of the posters, I usually eat most of my Proteins and supplement with shakes only when a boost is needed. Keeping track of all your nutrients, and not just Protein, through myfitnesspal, mynetdiary, or any other software package will help you tremendously to see where you can make cuts and where to improve. I also agree that the EAS shakes are the best tasting! I picked up two cases of Premium Protein Shakes from Sam's Wholesale this past weekend and they are not bad either and contain 30 grams of protein.

Wow Bornready, what a great site. Thanks for telling me about it. So much easier than the one my doctor has. I'll try to handle half a shake twice a day. I'll let you know.

I'm 2 years and 2 months post op... I've drank 2 protien shakes (total)

I don't like them and my dr. doesn't want me consuming ANY liquid calories because he says it doesn't fill you up (I don't know that I agree with that)

Anyway... yesterday I had a total of 106g of protien, so I don't have a problem getting my protien.

I also track everything on MyFittnessPal. It really helps!

I'm a little over 7 months past surgery and I still have a Protein shake every morning for breakfast. I love the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate Splendor, in fact, it's the only brand that I've found I genuinely like.

My band tends to be tight in the morning anyway so eating can be tricky. Plus, I just feel like the Protein Shake starts my days on on the right foot.

My surgeon knows I still have one every morning. He says that's fine but that's the only one a day he wants me to have.

I'm 8 months out and 80 pounds down. I have an Unjury Protein Shake every single morning for breakfast. I used to have a Greek yogurt for breakfast but I got stuck on it so I have a Protein Drink made with almond coconut milk and a little PB2. My nutritionist likes that I get Protein in the morning and I also log everything on my fitness pal. I like the simplicity of a protein drink when I have to have 2 small children ready and out of the house by 6 am.

Just a question for those people who are 6 months plus past surgery. Are you able to get in all the Protein you need without too many calories without resorting to Protein shakes? Now that I'm banded (a newby 8 days out) I am really not liking the shakes anymore. I'm compromising Protein because I don't think I could drink a shake now without a gun to my head, and then I'd probably throw it up. I'm realizing I got them down so easy on the pre-op diet because I basically chugged them. The thought of having to rely on them for the rest of my life turns my stomach. But is that a reality?

I really don't rely on them for protein intake but most mornings it's the only thing I can tolerate to get down since I've gotten fills and I go for another Thurs. I'm 10 wks post op tomorrow. I'm certainly no expert on this issue but I think if you find a Protein Shake that you really like, like I have done then it is not an issue. If you have a GNC near you they will let you sample. I really really like GNC's Lean shake Swiss chocolate, don't like the vanilla or strawberry but the choc. is delish. Tastes like chocolate milk and I hate milk but do enjoy these for something quick and easy and for those mornings I'm feeling tight. Good luck.

Typically the only thing I eat for breakfast is greek yogurt because I can't get much down in the morning either. I have thought about experimenting with shakes but.... they just don't apeal to me. Although... I have not tried many.

I haven't had a Protein shake since I was able to eat real food. I didn't like them either. I know I probably don't get enuf Protein in my diet, and I really drink them occasionally, but like u, I can't gaga them down

So no, if u get enuf protein in ur diet, u shouldn't have to drink the shakes.

Marci

like mis and mell, i drink one in the mornings as i am tight and not hungry in the mornings at all. my dr also knows i drink one

and he is fine with that also. i say do what works for you as long as you get your Protein. i happen to enjoy my Protein Shake so i do not mind,