Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Older Person + Lap Band

I am 72 and I had Lapband surgery in 11/2010 I have lost about 35 lbs. I don't eat much. I cant walk much because of bad hips and lower back pain. What words of encouragement can anyone give to an older person like me. I would like to communicate with an older person that has had lapband.

I am 72 and I had Lapband surgery in 11/2010 I have lost about 35 lbs. I don't eat much. I cant walk much because of bad hips and lower back pain. What words of encouragement can anyone give to an older person like me. I would like to communicate with an older person that has had lapband.

it sounds as if you are doing fantastic. you are 35 pounds lighter than you were. i think that is a success. you just keep doing what you are doing. (eating fruits/veggies and get your protein). i am sure sure but if you are unable to move about much, maybe a little lower cal intake but i would ask your dr to be sure to do what is right for you. all the best my darling. you are def an inspiration

I'm and older person, though all things are relative...at least older by most of the age cohort on this forum. I am a grandmother X2...

I also have many of the issues you write about...lumbar spine arthritis and chronic inflammation in my hips. As per my orthopedist, the only "safe place" for me to get any exercise is in the pool...so I make the effort to get over to the "Y" for Water aerobics classes 3X a week.

You mention that you don't eat much...I don't know if you ever consulted with a registered dietitian for good advice about a healthy bandster diet. Sometimes you need to consume enough calories and meet your daily Protein goal to continue to loose weight.

I'm still very motivated to get back to a normal BMI...and understand that my journey is challenged by my limited ability to exercise. It can be done, but it does require patience and perseverance.

Best wishes...

My mom will be 78 this September and had Lap Band surgery 5 years ago. She weighed well over 300lbs pre-surgery and has lost about 60 pounds and has kept it off. Like you, she can't really exercise because she can't get around very well to begin with. I would suggest the pool for exercise. I also agree with the Sojourner in that you need to get enough Protein each day. I also am banded and find that if I journal my food intake every day, it keeps me on track to get nutritional calories in, and I tend to lose. Congrats on your 35 lb loss!

I'm 59, does that count? :)

I'm very fortunate that as I lost weight, the burden on my body (especially my hips) was reduced enough to allow me to exercise a lot more than I ever dreamed possible. I belong to a great fitness studio (locally owned) that offers 2 classes a day for seniors, and I heard a rumor recently that someone was going to refurbish our town swimming pool and start giving aqua exercise classes there. I did Water aerobics while on vacation a few years ago and it was great fun, so I join in recommending it for you. Also, our senior center offers exercise classes that you can do while seated or standing, depending on your needs and abilities. You might surprise yourself!

Also, I have chronic pain from fibromyalgia (sometimes called the disease of fat, middle-aged women) and one of the best things I do for pain reduction now is to exercise 5 days a week.