Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Is A Slipped Band Fixed?

Not an issue but just curious. Is it surgery again, removal, repacement? Just wondering. Thanks

sometimes all the Fluid is removed for a time and the band will go back into place it's self, if not surgery is required - if the band is slipped badly then it will have to be removed, replaced or you opt to have a revision to a diffent type of WLS.

I've heard of many who have their bands emptied for 2-4 weeks and it fixes itself. Others have to have surgeries to fix it. Still others do have to have their band removed because the slip ends up causing too much scar tissue to revise safely.

It really depends on the severity of the slip and how quickly it's caught. This is actually a big reason I always encourage people to go to their doctors if they show even the slightest sign of being too tight, to avoid a possible slip.

I've heard of many who have their bands emptied for 2-4 weeks and it fixes itself. Others have to have surgeries to fix it. Still others do have to have their band removed because the slip ends up causing too much scar tissue to revise safely.

It really depends on the severity of the slip and how quickly it's caught. This is actually a big reason I always encourage people to go to their doctors if they show even the slightest sign of being too tight, to avoid a possible slip.

It also depends on the type of slip - whether the band slides up on the esophagus, or further down onto the stomach. Other things that can affect the outcome include the surgical technique (including how many sutures are used) used during the band placement. Techniques have changed a lot since the band was was originally approved for use in the USA.

My band slip was fixed by a complete unfill and 6-week rest period. I have an acquaintance who needed additional surgery to fix hers.

Jean, had your band slipped down onto the stomach or up on the esophagus?

It also depends on the type of slip - whether the band slides up on the esophagus, or further down onto the stomach. Other things that can affect the outcome include the surgical technique (including how many sutures are used) used during the band placement. Techniques have changed a lot since the band was was originally approved for use in the USA.

My band slip was fixed by a complete unfill and 6-week rest period. I have an acquaintance who needed additional surgery to fix hers.

Mine slipped down and a portion of stomach was herniated up through it. With the position and severity my surgeon said essentially zero chance this would resolve. During removal surgery I had significant inflammation and scarring and he says the portion that herniated would have eventually strangulated and died. Yay!

When my band slipped, I had a complete unfill first and an upper GI study the following week (long story about that - I'd be glad to recount it if you can stay awake long enough), so by the time my surgeon saw the images from the upper GI, my band's position was better though not "correct". My surgeon seemed more concerned about its angle than its position up or down my esophagus and stomach.

I've been told I should've had the upper GI before having the unfill, but even if that had been possible, I think the unfill was the smart move, especially considering how hard it was for me to even drink Clear liquids.