Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery And Mental Health Issues

I have PTSD really severely, and as I am eating well, preparing for surgery in 6 months (grrr), I find that a lot of bad feelings come up. Then I feel like I am going to fail, because, I mean, these are REALLY bad feelings. I know they will come up with WLS, also, but being that I am full with the "pouch", do you think I will still expreience this? I don't feel like eating and eating. I feel like curling into a ball and disappearing. Has anyone else struggled with any mental health issues? Have you felt like you were going to fail because of them? Do you fear this? Have you been banded, and can share your experiences? Thanks so much.

Wendy

I would continue getting some mental health help you have 6 monthes ton prepare your head. I think everyone who has ever had a FAT ISSUES has had a voice saying you will fail you always fail. And all sorts of negative stuff going on.

i KNOW WHEN YOU LIKE YOURSELF it is easier to deal with things. Take this six monthes to learn to take care of yourself while you are waiting to be banded and start down a new path. Good Luck to you and trust me you are not the first one with mental health issues .

Actually, the band or pouch isn't supposed to make you feel full. People who erroneously strive for that stuffed full feeling with the band very often end up too tight and have slips.

The band is supposed to help you feel satisfied with smaller portions for longer periods of time. Satisfied meaning you're not physically hungry- but it does not mean feeling full.

I would see a counselor or therapist and discuss your issue with them before going in for WLS surgery. Get their input and see if they agree it's a good choice for you.

It's a big life change. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Best wishes to you.

Yes I have the same problem but also add bipolar , yeh I hate it, I had my band in April the 24th was 300 lbs then, and now I'm 257lbs . I'm amazed , because I really had my doubts that I would be able to lose with the band , but I have been slowly but I'm still loseing. My mental condition . Is about the same . I try not t stress on losing wieght , so if I do go off my diet or not eat like I'm supose that It's ok, so I found out, cause , get back on track , and as many times I went off my diet , I'm still losing . And all this without a fill, mentally I do feel as u , I'm really really bad also , there is no way I could hold down a job , even if I wanted to, I'm taking baby steps tho, I now can go into a store for few mins once in a while . I've got some chihuahuas that r my best buddie and support in the world. Feel free to write me anytime, my email personal; is ; johnsonteri@live.com

The band will not help with mental health disorders. See a therpist, your doctor, and counselor - whatever and get help with those. Two totally diffent conditions. I deal with an anxiety disorder and take Paxel. While a lot of people complain about Paxel, I love it, it has helped me greatly. Between the Paxel and the weight coming off I feel better than I have in years.

Yes I do same as you, plus add bipolar, it really sucks, my operation was April 24. 2012. 300 lbs and now I'm down to 256 lbs , even tho I still eat when I shouldn't , I'm still losing wieght, I really had my doubts that the band would help me lose wieght , but it has , it amazes me, cause belive me I've gone off my diet a few time s then some , and I'm still losing , I too am really really really bad , have some bad mental issues , there is no way I could ever hold down a job , no matter how much I wanted too, feel free to write me anytime, I'm here, also my e-mail address is : johnsonteri@live.com

Also I felt like in the beginning that I was going to fail , cause diet and not eating lol really,? But so far as many times as I messed up , I'm still doing good and starting to think hey maybe i can do this , I keep taking my Meds and try to think possitive doesn't always work , dont worry it will all be good , you will see, really :)

I mean keep taking your Meds and thinking possitive , try not to worry because you can do this, I understand where ur coming from , and you will be fine , really it will all work out for the better. Honest

Your issues with PTSD definitely need to be treated asap, even if you were not going through the approval process for the surgery. You really should seek the services of a qualified professional in the counseling field, and perhaps one who also has a certification in hypnotherapy. The goal for this type of counseling it to assist you to reframe the meaning of the trauma which precipitated your condition, and to help you to feel safe again.

Often depression is a co-occurring disorder with PTSD, and post op you will be experiencing hormone gyrations which often precipitate mood swings. Add unresolved PTSD to the mix. and this is not going to be an easy set of circumstances to cope with. Along with the post op phase are many adjustments which will challenge you, so get stronger in the area of your mental health.

Best wishes to you for a complete recovery...

I'm sure she is seeing a doctor or she wouldn't of made it this far, and I also have mental issues and I also have the band , if any thing the band has help with my mental issues . I now can leave the house and go into a store for few mins . Very scary , but I wasn't able to do that before . As I'm sure she is seeing a doc , so am I , and omdoung just fine , and truly belive she will also .

I recommend some quality time with a therapist. I have PTSD and my way of dealing with it and not facing it was to keep busy. I never sat still. If I was forced to sit still, like on a drive or watching a movie, etc, I would eat. My hands would stay busy. Once I spent a few sessions with a great therapist and learned some coping techniques, it's like the world opened up for me. I finally feel "free" as corny as that sounds. I'm not hindered by my thoughts anymore...thoughts I didn't even realize were there until the psych testing and subsequent appointments.

Your mental strength plays a lot into being successful with the band. You have to be in the right mindset because it really is a daily ordeal. I completely sympathize with you, and wish you all of the success in the world.

First of all, thank you all for responding. Secondly, I already have a psychiatrist and therapist and my worries are more based on what I will do when PTSD rears its ugly head after the surgery. I AM having the surgery, it's just the question of: "Have you had mental health issues, and if so, how did YOU deal with them after you were banded?" and "Did the symptoms get worse?" So, if you could help me with that, I would really appreciate it. Hookieluv has the right idea, telling me her story and how she deals with it. I do very much appreciate all your input, but I need those two questioms answered the most. Thanks very much!

Wendy

Just joined the forum. I go for my consultation app. next month. Will my depression anixity disorder not look good when making his decion to grant me the surgery? Im on medicaid. I currently see a pysch and am on daily medication for those problems but dont want to hinder my surgery decision. What to do? I know u have to have a mental evaluation done. So i dont know. Helpp!!

Alright. I have several mental health issues, including PTSD. I was in therapy before being banded, but not effective therapy. I got banded in 07 in 08 I couldn't handle the pressure of having been banded so I got unfilled and spent the last 4 years abusing my band, my diet and myself. It wasn't until I entered therapy with a qualified, direct, take-no-bull therapist and psychiatrist that I, 4 YEARS AFTER HAVING BEEN BANDED, was able and willing to follow all the rules that LapBanding requires and safely return to banded living.

I had the best intention to be a successful bandster, but I wasn't ready and I really could have hurt myself. And I wasted 5 years of my life.

PTSD is nothing to skirt around. And it doesn't go away, you only learn how to deal with it, hopefully. After banding, all sorts of new added pressures can be placed on an already fragile mind. You may be able to do it safely, some do, but be very, very careful. Be open, honest and persistent with your psych team and remember YOU are part of that team. Luckily, you have some time, but six months can't heal a lifetime of pain.

I wish you the BEST of luck! Keep asking questions to others and to yourself. Do everything you can to be a successful bandster. It's not easy for all of us. Don't give up having a healthy mind AND body!

Sorry if I offended you at all, I may not have really understood the questions.

"Have you had mental health issues, and if so, how did YOU deal with them after you were banded?" Yes, although mine are mild and I didn't realize I even had them until my surgery process began. I struggle to find healthy ways to deal with my nervous energy. I used to eat, keep my hands busy, and that's not an option now. Besides not wanting the food (and gaining weight) I don't think I could physically eat like I used to, at least without some serious discomfort. Now, when I feel like I want to get into (what I call) "busy-mode" (can't sit still, think of a million things I HAVE to do right NOW) I take a few deep breaths. I ask myself if I really need to do this and if not, what could I do. Most of the time, I go for a run or hit the elliptical.

Hope this helps. Again, I appolgize if I offended you at all that wasn't my intentions. I'm here for support :)

and "Did the symptoms get worse?" My symptoms have not gotten worse, but at the same time, I feel like I have complete control over my body now. I have such a tight grip on what I eat; calories in and calories out. Having control has always helped me deal with my PTSD and my symptoms get worse when something in life is haywire.