Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My New Secondary Insurance Dose Not Cover The Sleeve, Should I Get Banded?

After completing all of my pre op testing my patient advocate called me to schedule me with my Surgeon and nutritionist I'm having my surgery mid September. She broke news that my new secondary insurance dose not cover the sleeve but will cover the band... I'm sad and unsure if I should go thru with the band because of all the restriction on how you chew your food, swallow the food, you have to eat slow, the food gets stuck, you cant guzzle drinks, you have to take small bits, you have to have enough cc's for restriction in order to loss... ect ect.....I'm not sure if that's something I want to live with.. Although the band is much safer than the sleeve... Are all the restrictions really worth it? Are you able to cope day in and day out without stressing about "All The Many" restrictions/limitations ? Please advise ?

I still eat whatever I want, and I'm pretty much at the green zone. I just don't eat as much. I can have steak, toast, rice, eggs, pretty much anything. I still drink the odd diet pop, and I even had a beer last night.

I think there are some people who have too much fill in their bands, if they have to take super tiny bites, and can't drink easily. I can chug Water like no ones business when I need to, and I don't get stuck. I've lost between 2 and 3 pounds a week since my last fill, and I really don't notice a difference in how I eat, other than I eat less than before (and I stay satisfied longer).

The recovery sounds similar with both surgeries, and I don't mind the fills. Also, the band can be continually fine-tuned for years, whereas the sleeve is more one size fits all.

Best of luck with your decision.

I should note, that I do count calories, and limit the non-nutritous things, and eat lots of natural and protein-rich foods, but I don't find it hard to do, like I did before surgery.

After completing all of my pre op testing my patient advocate called me to schedule me with my Surgeon and nutritionist I'm having my surgery mid September. She broke news that my new secondary insurance dose not cover the sleeve but will cover the band... I'm sad and unsure if I should go thru with the band because of all the restriction on how you chew your food, swallow the food, you have to eat slow, the food gets stuck, you cant guzzle drinks, you have to take small bits, you have to have enough cc's for restriction in order to loss... ect ect.....I'm not sure if that's something I want to live with.. Although the band is much safer than the sleeve... Are all the restrictions really worth it? Are you able to cope day in and day out without stressing about "All The Many" restrictions/limitations ? Please advise ?

yes the band is well worth it. i had a good long discussion with my dr about both procedures. He was very up front about it all. The band teaches you good eating habits... and lets face it ... it was bad eating habits that got us in this situation to begin with.

Having the sleeve means more risk in surgery, means that one has to take Vitamin supps always.. and also that you CAN stretch the stomach that has been cut in half. Eventually the stomach can be stretched and after that happens there is nothing left to do. Bad eating habits vs good eating habits. Learning how to eat properly is necessary with both surgeries... the difference is that the band pulls us up. the other doesnt and by the time we know something is wrong its too late.

A lot of the "restrictions" that you have with the band you have with the sleeve too.

If you read the posts on the sleeve board you will find that sleevers also bring food back up, can't guzzle etc. And of course they also have to make wise choices if they want to achieve success.

#Elcee, Yes tuns of restrictions, and I'm not talking about what foods I can and cannot eat, because im naturally a healthy eater, I am one of the ones who are born obese, I didn't just get this way over time.. Don't get me wrong the sleeve has restriction as well, although its simple, you can only eat 2-4 oz meals, no matter how u chew or swallow, and minimal to none in regards to follow up care... That's my dilemma

never heard of anyone being born obese but i guess its possible.

if they dont do the sleeve which is what you want, why not the bypass?

from your post:

'm sad and unsure if I should go thru with the band because of all the restriction (what restriction? you can eat whatever you want. i do.. the band helps us eat less and when fills start you will lose weight. but that doesnt give you free range to just chow down (healthy food can be fattening too)....on how you chew your food, (you chew your food until is mushy so it will pass the narrow opening caused by the band/fills. if you take big bites it may come back up or you will feel sick to your stomach....overeating will do that too) swallow the food, (we all swallow regardless of what WLS we have) you have to eat slow (most overweight people (me for one) would inhale the food. so what, you eat slower and enjoy the food. the taste. what is wrong with that?) the food gets stuck (if you eat too fast or took big of bites or you are too tight----you can work with that) you cant guzzle drinks (who says? i can)...you have to take small bits (.....and what is wrong with taking small bites? nothing. i cut my food small. its okay to do. i cant eat a huge bite no way)...you have to have enough cc's for restriction in order to loss...(i have very little cc in me from my surgery in june but am down nearly 60.....again, that is me taking control of my banded life. seems to work for me)

from your post:

although its simple, you can only eat 2-4 oz meals, no matter how u chew or swallow (you are instructed by the dr's to only eat a cup of food with the band or 4 oz of Protein. its up to the person follow those rules. i could eat more i am sure but i make myself not too so i can lose weight. if you cant control your food then the sleeve or bypass would work better. overeating is overeating with whatever surgery you get).

since you know what it is like to be obese (as i have) you know how that feels. dont knock something until you give it a chance. quit focusing on the what if's.....the i cant have's or the (things you said is happening with the band)....it works if you want it too.....its not an easy or a quick fix. you do have to change what you eat.

i hope you get what ever surgery you can and that you can be on your way to better health. you sound like a great person.