Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will be banded on Thursday. I am looking at this as surgically placed willpower since I have none of my own. I am always hungry. Even when I have just finished a large meal, my mind tells me I am still hungry. What I wanted to know is does this make the hunger go away? Or will I still be hungry all the time, even when I finish a meal which will be much smaller meals than before.

The head hunger is totally different from the physical hunger, and I'm battling that demon right now. I get physically satiated after about a cup of food, but sometimes my head says that's not enough and I still feel like eating more. I think most of us struggle with that issue. I think part of it is habit and part of it is psychological issues...but I don't have any terrific answers for you, sorry!

Emily

Well - and this is all just MVHO - I'm not sure that surgically placed willpower is the best description. The band will not keep you from making bad food choices, e.g. you will still need willpower to choose chicken over ice cream. For me, I consider the band "portion control", if anything.

Focus on really listening to your body. You are going to have to eat slow, and wait between bites - you won't have much choice. Between your bites, really listed to your body. Ask if you are really hungry, or if you could go a while without eating more. A few tips I've found in my short banded time to do this:

- Take only the smallest portions, just a spoon at a time. If you have "clean plate" syndrome, it's easy to see a plate full of food and think you're still hungry. If you just take very tiny portions, you can help trick your brain. Remmber - it will be much more pelasant to put more food in if you need it, than to have the extra food forcibly removed.

- Buy some saucer-sized paper plates and child-sized paper bowls, and some baby spoons. Or baby tableware, if you don't like disposible dishes. Seeing 2 oz of food on a big dinner plate or a big spoon just makes you think, "Wow, I'm not eating much." Seeing the same amount of food on a very small plate gives the appearance of a much fuller plate. It's all mental, but if you're struggling, it can work.

- If you're artifically hungry, drink some Water. It really will give you a feeling of satiation. If the Water doesn't help, have a Protein drink - you'll need it anyway.

- If you're truly hungry and need to eat more, then eat more and don't fret. For a while your body will still be healing & if it's telling you it has to have more, it does.

- I'll try and word this as best as I can, but it might sound a little stupid. I feel like I have two stomachs now - a "top stomach" and a "bottom stomach". Usually my bottom stomach pisses, moans, grrs, and tells me I'm hungry according to my pre-banding perceptions. But now when I feel this hunger, I listed to my "top stomach" and it tells me I'm full. What a weird senstation that was the first week or so -- having my stomach growl like there's no tomorrow, but not feeling hungry. :(

It really depends on the source of your hunger. If your hunger is caused by your stomach not sending the right signals to the brain, this may very well do it for you. The band will rest near the vagus nerve (the one that sends those signals) and it should be triggered more easily.

If you are 'hungry' because your head says so, then it's likely you will suffer from the same problem, you just wont be able to eat as much at once (but that wont really stop you from grazing throughout the day). Have you had this conversation with your doctor to see what he/she says?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BabySpoons

Sometimes reading the posts here make me wonder if some people just weren't mentally ready for WLS and needed more time with the bariatric team psychiatrist. Complaining about the limited drink/food choices early on... blah..blah...blah. The living to eat mentality really needs to go and be replaced with eating to live. JS
      · 2 replies
      1. Bypass2Freedom

We have to remember that everyone moves at their own pace. For some it may be harder to adjust, people may have other factors at play that feed into the unhealthy relationship with food e.g. eating disorders, trauma. I'd hope those who you are referring to address this outside of this forum, with a professional.

This is a place to feel safe to vent, seek advice, hopefully without judgement.

Compassion goes a long way :)

2. BabySpoons

Seems it would be more compassionate not to perform a WLS on someone until they are mentally ready for it. Unless of course they are on death's door...

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches