Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Before Deciding Can You Actually Get The Surgery?

I've heard it can take 6 months or longer to actually get the surgery once you are engaged in the process. Medical tests, insurance approvals, weight loss ect. How long does it normally take?

My insurance required 6mths of diet followup with PCP& 6 hrs nutritional class. Psyc eval. Everything done but last Drs visit Aug 30. The six months did go by quickly.

My first visit was in November- right before Thanksgiving. I finished 3 months of nutritional food logs and Psych Eval, cardio /pulmonary testing etc and I believe I was approved in April. I had my surgery on 5/1.

It all depends on your insurance requirements and the speed at which the surgeon's office works getting you approved.

I had my seminar the first week of December and had my surgery the first week January. So for me, it only took a month.

It varies depending on your WLS program and insurance requirements. My WLS program gave us a projected timeline, and on paper it could take 3-6 months, granted you did everything in a timely manner.

I decided in early March and had surgery May 18th. The WLS coordinator said it was the fastest case she had seen using insurance. That also included a 10 day delay on my part bc I had strep throat and couldn't make it to my surgeon consultation.

I'm self pay in Canada...first appointment was July and my surgery is scheduled for October, would have been one month sooner but surgeon is on holidays prior!

It only took me around a month, maybe less. (although my dad is a doctor and he has me on his employee health insurance..that probably sped up the process.) I'm so glad I didn't have to wait very long, that would have been torture! :(

My first visit to the surgeon was May 9th, my diet started on May 22nd, I reached my 5% weight loss was required for me with BCBS and by July 14th I reached that goal. My surgery was on Aug 6th and in between these dates, I had the various appts. Some were on the same day, so if you can make all the appts when they ask you to come, I would say 3 months.

I started my journey in Nov 2011 had my surgery June 18 2012..my insurance required the 6 month supervised diet, it went fast.

Every person will be different. You insurance and their requirements have a lot to do with it. Mine did not require 6 months of diet/nutrition, etc. I believe my first consult with the surgeon was in April, I was approved in May, and had surgery in August. I could have had surgery sooner but had to put it off in order to get the time off of work.

Wow, most were really quick! I had my seminar in September, first consult with surgeon in December , insurance requirements are 6 months documented diet, all other consults between the first appt and 6 month marker- psych eval, sleep study,blood work, and what ever else- surgery finally set for August!

11 months! But, 20 pounds lost, eating/ drinking as I should all along - just need that extra helper! 1 1/2 weeks away!

dwilliams

I got lucky because BCBS of IL changed their requirements this year....so the 6 month weight loss program part was dropped. As a BCBS member (and employee!) I was SO happy when they did that. It made approval much quicker and easier.

I went to a seminar in September 2011 and had to wait a month and half to actually start because they were so booked. So first actual appointment was Oct 2011 and surgery was in April 2012. My insurance company required at the time a 6 month monitored diet. A month after my surgery I found out they changed it to 3 months.

Those 6 months went fast and gave me plenty of time to digest and learn and train for being banded. One of the things I would change if I were to do it all over again would practicing taking the time eating slow and chewing.

I saw the Nutritionist on Tuesday and she put down a piece of rubber that looked like a 4 oz hamburg patty and asked me how long it would take me to eat it. I said I don't know 20 minutes maybe......She said your eating too fast and not giving the brain a chance to catch up with the pouch.

Great feedback! Sounds like it is very dependant on insurance companies. I'm hoping Aetna doesn't have the 6 month diet stipulation...but I'll find out.

Thank you!

Great feedback! Sounds like it is very dependant on insurance companies. I'm hoping Aetna doesn't have the 6 month diet stipulation...but I'll find out.

Thank you!

Make sure you ask them to send the coverage policy to you in writing. Some insurance companies and mine being one of them may say it is not covered only to find out they do in fact cover it as long as certain criteria is met. In my case a 6 month supervised diet with full documentation from the Surgeon. They even wanted examples of my food journals.