Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Decide Your Goal Weight?

Is your goal weight based on BMI, doctors recommendation, or just a number that you remember feeling healthy at?

According to my BMI, I think I should be in the 140's but I remember being about 165-175 and feeling great and looking good.

I can't decide on a goal weight because I don't know what to go by. I want to have a goal though so I can have an official countdown and a real "moment" when I achieve goal. Just curious how everyone else decided.

I picked a goal weight with my dr and once I got there I reassessed. I have had 4 different goals before I finally decided I was happy where I am at.

I picked a weight that I remember I was happy with how I looked. I have made myself mini goals, however and I try to pick a weight and a date to make it by. My next mini goal is 230 by Labor Day!!

I started buy looking at what a healthy bmi would be. Then, knowing that info, I chose 150 because that's what's on my driver's license and in a healthy range for me.

I honestly picked the number out of thin air. Last year I did a crash diet and got down to 180 and thought if I could lose 20 more pounds I would be satisfied. Also, my sister is the same height as me and at 145 she looks too thin to me. I picked 160, which would put me in a normal BMI and would also be the lowest I've been since Junior High, but also feels attainable.

@ Tracy, you look awesome and have done a fantastic job on your weight loss. Back to topic, I set my goal with my phsician. My goal is 132 lbs, I am 6 lbs from goal, I hear daily that I am getting to thin and I need to stop but actually, I am very peite, small boned and very toned. I had a clothing size in mind, I wanted to be a size 10, but i am actually a size 4. I think goals are important, I think what matters that most is that you are happy where you end up no matter what the weight or size. Good luck.

Honestly, I picked out a number from thin air. I was NEVER thin so I have no previous good weights to look forward to. I have no idea how my body will change or how I will look. I chose 140 lbs for the heck of it.

I am setting small goals for myself and will continue to do so for now. Right now I am looking at a goal of 190. Its a long way, but I want something to look forward to!

Thanks everyone. I too have been setting smaller goals for now. I think my ultimate goal will be 165. I think it's attainable. I just Don't think 140 is feasible for my body but who knows! Right now I am aiming for onederland by Christmas!

I was banded 16 months ago and haven't actually set a final goal weight, although I am starting to think about it. When I started out, my ideal weight was just too far away to even consider as potentially achievable. Instead I have been working towards smaller goals - lose 10kg, lose 25kg, get under 100kg, get under 90kg.

Yesterday I realised that my BMI now puts me in the overweight category instead of obese or morbidly obese, which is where I started. I did a real happy dance when I had that realisation!

I am now at 86.8kg and thinking I will set my goal for 79kg. This is very close to my husband's weight and I think he looks great. I am slightly taller than him so don't mind being slightly heavier.

I have a goal of 175 once I hit that I will take a hard look at how I look, how I feel.

Once I wieghed 140 doing WW and people thought I was sick.. I do not want to look sick or ill.

I have 23 more pounds to go to get to that wieght. I have lost 80.6 pounds in a little over a year.

@ Tracy, you look awesome and have done a fantastic job on your weight loss. Back to topic, I set my goal with my phsician. My goal is 132 lbs, I am 6 lbs from goal, I hear daily that I am getting to thin and I need to stop but actually, I am very peite, small boned and very toned. I had a clothing size in mind, I wanted to be a size 10, but i am actually a size 4. I think goals are important, I think what matters that most is that you are happy where you end up no matter what the weight or size. Good luck.

Thank you! You look fabulous as well! My goal was to be a size 10 also. I am comfortably in 6's now, but I just had a Tummy Tuck on Friday so who knows what size I will be in once the swelling goes down. I also hear that I am too thin, but right now I am working on putting on muscle and not so much on losing fat.

I'm 5'5"" and my estimated goal weight from my surgeon for me should be 154 lbs. I wanted 140, he said that's just too small.

weight.png

I am 5'2" and i picked 136 as my goal weight. Its the highest weight i can be with a healthy bmi. Sounds good to me. I also have a dress hanging up that i want to fit comfortably in. Its a very cool gauze type dress that is tie dyed. That is my motivation! It is a ladies size XL. Hopefully next spring it will fit!