Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck little LOSS!

If it was such a simple science then the obesity rate wouldn't be so high. 3500/ Calories In-Calories Out doesn't always equal a one pound lose. If that was the case people who stick to a plan and exercise and keep track of their BMR wouldn't stall... wouldn't have weight loss spurts... or weight gains. The fact is there are people who have hormone issues, slow metabolisms, yo-yo'ed dieted... lose at different rates.

A 3500 calories defecit always equals a pound of loss. The stalls and yo-yo's are the effects of your metabolism going up and down and perhaps your body holding onto whatever Water you take in. You just can't get around the 3,500 defecit. It's like saying 1+1 doesn't always equal 2.

3500 / (Calories in - calories out) = days to loose 1 lb

I didn't say the 3500 calorie deficit didn't equal one pound... I said the math in the post above wasn't correct since it doesn't take into account the BMR.

I said it wasn't such simple science to only take what is in and out to equal your defict since you have to take your BMR into account.

I'm getting the feeling I'm not being clear at all on here... I'm not disputing the 3500 calories = 1 pound.... but it's only a weight lose for a person if "and only if" you are creating a deficit.

Haven't I said that several times?

Cash, I think we're saying the same thing in different words. I wish losing weight were simpler and we could always have some kind of real-time feed on what we're burning and what our bodies are doing. I think that if we do what we're supposed to be doing consistently it will be inevitable that the weight will go, barring we have any major metabolic disorder that forces us to burn only muscle. We've just got to hang in there!

vinesqueen,

Contrary to what you want to think, if you are human, the basic rule I stated applies to you. Drop the denial. I only ate 200 calories today and gained 3 pounds and I don't know why doesn't cut it here.

Also, I said the 3500 is an approximate. We all vary slightly, but the theory is sound. Calories in - calories out always determines whether we gain/maintain/loose. Protein doesn't change this either, btw.

Hi Kt, welcome to LBT. Thanks for the smile. I'm not in denial, not by a long stretch. And neither are my Turtle Tribe. But that equation does not work for us. I have been diagnosed with Cushing's, and I suspect some of our other Turtles have it as well. Some of us might end up with a diagnosis of metabolic syndrom, other's find untreated PCOS is having an effect on their weight loss journey.

I was on 700 calories and less for a month while I was too tight. That month I lost 1.5 pounds, even working out as I was. When I finally was able to get to my clinic to get an unfil I gained 10 pounds in one week at 1000 - 1200 calories a day. Being physically active, I gained 10 pounds at that caloric intake. It doesn't make sense, not unless you have researched Cushings. And then that is quite a common story.

it dosnt matter if you loose fast or slow it is still a loss before banding i would loose then put straight back on now i loose then i might stay the same for awile but havnt put any back on

i luv my band

sandra...........

Whew! I go away for a day or so and... Well I am really glad I didn't have to blow my whistle ('cause I don't know how to spell it). See, I am the coach, remember? One caustic poster and we squabble like little nasties. I love you guys! I learned some of the finer points of the 3500 rule too, so thanks everyone for debating it through. Oh, btw, my fill is working so far, thanks for asking. I should be able to post a loss this week on the GfGc page.

In the early months of being banded, when I would get to a stall, I'd have gained muscle, now, just lazy I guess. Hopefully my fill scheduled for next Monday will do the trick to get me motivated again.