Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Consume Enough Calories!?

So I feel so torn about this subject and everyone seems to have a different answer. I'm sure there must be other posts out there like this, I'm just having trouble finding them! How many calories should I be consumiing? I asked my dietician how many calories I should be consuming and that opened a huge can of worms, a long discusion about how it varies and how it's hard to get a set answer, and I honestly didn't have time to push the issue because I had back to back appointments that day.

I use My Fitness Pal, so I have a pretty accurate view on how many calories I'm consuming. A typical day is between 1000-1200. I excercise every day (a few days off here and there) for 60 minutes and My Fitness Pal tells me I burn 300-500 calories depending on what type of exercise I'm doing. I'm two months post op, 37 pounds down, and now my weight lose has slowed. I was losing 2-3 pounds a week, and last week I was down one pound on Thursday and so far nothing this week. I know from reading online that a low calorie intake will create a slow weight lose, should this be happening after only two months?

So my other main question is, if a low calorie intake creates slow weight lose, how am I suppose to consume enough calories each day when the band prevents me from eating a lot? They say three meals, and snack only if you're hungry. I don't want to snack if I'm not hungry, but I feel like I need to get enough calories! If my weight lose is slowing because of the low calorie intake, any suggestions on how to increase my calories without eating junk?

Any thoughts?

I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. I do low carbs and about 60g of Protein. About once a week I have a treat day where I eat about 1500 calories. I am loosing about 1-2 lbs a week right now (that can change at any point). My thought is mix it up. If you do the same every day your body gets use to it. I want to keep my body guessing. Lol

I love myfitnesspal but feel it gives too many calories for exercise. Also you've lost almost 40 lbs pretty fast! Weight loss with the band should be 1-2 lbs per week so you are doing great! It's seems common that most people lose quite a bit pretty quickly and then it tapers off. For me that is where I lost my motivation & got off track. Its so thrilling at first when the scale is so steadily moving down but the trick is to learn to stay motivated when the scale doesn't move & you feel like you are working so hard! I'm still trying to master this! It seems most people vary the calories daily, from 900-1500. I just pretty much do the same thing every day. For me now it's just how life is, not a "diet". You are being too hard ob yourself! You are doing great! :-)

Here is my 2 cents worth..... the way it has worked for me........it's worth at least giving some thought since I dropped 100 pounds in the first year.

Both surgeons I have gone to (first one retired) do not push calorie counting. I have not counted calories since day one. I find that it is really a waste of time and effort. I do stay mindful of things like calories, carbs, Protein and such....... but no counting or tracking. With a properly adjusted band and staying away from eating things like candy bars as meals, banded life can be effictive and easy. I don't make it harder than it has to be. The band and tracking does not consume my life.

This method may not work for every personality type, but it is worth giving some thought.