Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fruit And Lapband

I love fruit and I use to eat fruit for Snacks, especially in the summer. On Friday I will be 8 wks post op and have only slight restriction. I tried a banana yesterday for mid-morning snack, around 9:30 (I eat Breakfast at 5:30), but an hour later I was starving, I had a Fiber one 90 cal brownie so I ate that which curbed the hunger and I made it to lunch at 12:30.

Is fruit just slider and to be avoided? I try to avoid slider foods because I know they are non filling calories, but I do hate to lose my fruit.

What have your experieces with fruit been?

I love fruit and usually have it with every meal. It is my last food that I eat with each meal though, so sometimes I don't finish it (Protein then veggies are my priority). I haven't had a banana, but I eat berries and grapefruit all the time. Alone as a snack though it isn't that flilling.

i love fruit. i have watermelon and cantaloupe nearly every day. yummy. eat what works for you (if in doubt, call and ask your dr if its okay) :)

fruit is really good for you & not a slider food! Sliders are empty calories! Eat your Protein & then by all means enjoy your fruit & veggies!

You're still in bandster hell so you will remain hungry until you inch closer to the green zone with more fills. This is no different than a diet prior to surgery. Once you're in the green zone, fruit will help you get from one meal to the next but until then bananas are fairly high on the glycemic index chart so they'll digest quicker.

For now, if you choose fruit that is lower in the GI such as apples and pears, harder fruits, you may be satiated a little longer because they stay in your pouch longer and take longer to digest. But not much.

tmf

What exactly is the "green zone"?

I have fruit at least once a day. Mostly berries, but i do enjoy a banana about once a week. :)

My surgeons definition of the Green Zone is when you've gotten enough fills to be satisfied with 1/2 - 1 cup of food for 4-6 hours.

What exactly is the "green zone"?

It's where you have enough restriction that a small amount of food satisfies you for 3-4 hours. And, you are losing weight. I found this video on this nutritionists website that explains it better than I can. http://www.globalgastricbandsolutions.com.au/expert-advice/long-term-diet/

The whole video is good but the green zone part is at 4:50 into the video.

tmf

I don't really fill like I am in Bandster hell. The only time I ever get really hungry is in the mornings. Most of the time a small about of food 1 to 1.5 cups of food fill me for at least 3 hours if not 4. However, I know I could eat more, but I choose not to. I do go back for a fill on Thursday, I hope they give me a small one, I have not had any problems yet and I don't want to get to tight and have major problems.

I love my fruit. Especially in the summer, I can hardly resist the peaches and plums.. oh, my mouth waters just to think of them! I can eat them as long as I chew well.

I am so jealous. fruit has always gotten stuck on me. The only way I can have any is in my smoothies in the morning. I always have one just to have the fruit. I still try every now and then just to see if by chance they will go down.

I love fruit, and am so excited it is summer. Last visit to the doc (I am less that 6 months out from surgery) ~ the nurse told me to avoid the sugar carbs from fruit :blink::(:angry: .

It broke my heart.

I do eat my Proteins first and only had fruit as a mid-afternoon snack, but I guess my doc is more focussed on lower carbs...

I just tried cherries, but didn't work for me. :(