Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopy Tuesday

I've never had one, so i'm a little nervous. Do they need to remove any Fluid from the band before doing this? I've had severe pain around my port that is getting worse each day. Any thoughts on what it could be? I've been banded for 6 months.

It's really not too bad. Yes they remove all the Fluid from the band. They used propophyl (sp? The same stuff Michael Jackson used!) on me & it was great. 1 second I was awake & then I was in recovery. My throat didn't hurt & it really went better than I thought it would. They thought I may have a band slip but thankfully I didn't. They did find a hernia, that sutures were coming undone & that I had acid damage in the "pouch" area. 2 months rest with no fluid in the band & I'm much improved. Its best to know what's going on. Good luck & keep us posted.

I've never had one' date=' so i'm a little nervous. Do they need to remove any Fluid from the band before doing this? I've had severe pain around my port that is getting worse each day. Any thoughts on what it could be? I've been banded for 6 months.[/quote']

I'm not banded yet but I had to have an endoscopy as a part of my pre op work up for surgery. I was terrified. shaking. but in all honesty getting registered was more of a hassle I was finally wheeled back at 11:46 and when I woke back up in recovery it was 11;54. it was a cake walk.

Thank you for the replies...If all goes well and they don't find anything, do you think they will add the Fluid back immediately. I have not seen my surgeon to ask questions...i called in to tell them i was in a lot of pain and they referred me to another doctor for the endoscopy. I am terrified of not having any fluid in my band...i was just starting to get some restriction after my fill in July.

Thank you for the replies...If all goes well and they don't find anything' date=' do you think they will add the Fluid back immediately. I have not seen my surgeon to ask questions...i called in to tell them i was in a lot of pain and they referred me to another doctor for the endoscopy. I am terrified of not having any Fluid in my band...i was just starting to get some restriction after my fill in July.[/quote']

The one who does the endoscopy isn't your surgeon so unless you have an appointment with your surgeon you probably won't get fluid back in right then and there. However, I could be wrong.

My lapband surgeon did the endoscopy. If you are having severe pain, you need to have the Fluid out! You'll still have some restriction tho. I felt so awful that having it unfilled was a relief. As long as you don't go crazy you won't gain. Truthfully tho I did go a little crazy & gained 10 but I had all the things I hadn't eaten for 3 years- burritos, pizza, etc. It was fun but I'm back on the band plan no problem! Don't worry- just concentrate on getting healthy again.

Thanks for the encouragement...The procedure is in a few hours. I'll be relieved to find out what's going on in there. Have a great day!

Thanks for the encouragement...The procedure is in a few hours. I'll be relieved to find out what's going on in there. Have a great day!

any update ? hope all is well

You were right...the test was a breeze. The results were good. He didn't find any erosion or slippage and he didn't have to remove any fluid...shew!!! The surgeon is now planning on moving my port from the left side to the right and putting it much lower. Now that he knows there is no erosion he says the port is rubbing against a rib or something and causing the severe pain. I will meet with him on Tuesday to schedule the surgery. Thanks for checking on me! I love the support here. Have a great day!

You were right...the test was a breeze. The results were good. He didn't find any erosion or slippage and he didn't have to remove any Fluid...shew!!! The surgeon is now planning on moving my port from the left side to the right and putting it much lower. Now that he knows there is no erosion he says the port is rubbing against a rib or something and causing the severe pain. I will meet with him on Tuesday to schedule the surgery. Thanks for checking on me! I love the support here. Have a great day!

Thats so good to hear! I'm glad there are no serious problems . best of luck with your surgery :)

Yes thanks for checking in! You were in my thoughts & prayers. Glad news is good! :-)

I've had 2 and it's like Jrae said. No big deal! Good luck!

Ha, little late to the party!