Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Not Losing Any More Weight, Don't Know Why

i just had surgery on July 11th of this year and lost approximately 27 pounds. but for the last two weeks i have been stuck at the same weight. i am trying to eat right, even went back to a liquid diet. I started to goto the gym twice a week on the treadmill, but sometimes my mental hunger gets the best of me. can anyone help me

Orlando.

P.S. will be going for my first adjustment in two weeks.

weight.png

Orlando,

Welcome, and congrats on being banded!

Your body is probably in shock over the big initial weight loss. Everybody experiences a weight loss plateau sooner or later. Going back to a liquid diet never helped me because it's only solid food that provides the early and prolonged satiety that helps you lose weight with the band. There's nothing in the band that's going to prevent or interrupt mental (or head) hunger. All the band does is reduce your physical hunger and increase your satiety (the sense of having eaten enough food).

Eating right (making good food choices, practicing portion control) and exercising are exactly what you need to be doing. Your first fill make take the edge off physical hunger and help reduce how much you can eat, though most people need several fills to achieve optimal restriction. In the meantime, hang in there!

One has to rely on will power and coping strategies to manage diet compliance, and your initial fill likely will not provide you with a significant amount of restriction.

Head hunger is a part of the recovery process...and you need to be able to use tools such as distraction with a project or exercise or drinking your necessary "free fluids" to manage it. You are likely also able to eat many of the foods you previously enjoyed, but are not on the approved list of healthy food choices post op. Just because you can eat those things does not mean that it is proper to give yourself permission to do it!

Plateaus are a normal part of the weight loss process...and I have reached them periodically with every approximately 10 pounds of weight loss. I believe Mis73 should have some good posts on this topic in the archives. She has discovered, at least for her case that by varying the amount of calories she has daily she can break through a plateau. Look for them for additional information...

As I don't count calories, only measure portions by volume, I simply use exercise and try to vary it. Eventually you do get off the plateau, but some people are more patient than others...and I have become a patient person! Shaking up your routines, both with eating and the type and speed of your exercise should help. The body does adapt itself to routines...and that's when the plateau typically occurs.

I hope this information will help you...best wishes...

I hate plateous.... hate them cause you do everything right and nada,,, then you get off the plan and still nada,, and then you upgrade on your plan n still nada,,, see Dr for fill in Sept.. at 5cc now so and guess it's time.I was hoping to do this on my own by now,,, ???

good luck on your journey -some do better than others, Im probably older and with the blessed thryroid issue. that does not help