Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gnawing Pain in Stomach

Small sips when you are swollen are a must, and small is totally small...I'm talking 5cc or less at a time, just enough to coat the espohogus going down and barely end up in the pouch below. Did you take the Prevacid whole? I crushed the Prilosec even though it was extended release. It didn't hurt me, that's for sure, and it helped lots. Do you have a pill crusher? I'm sorry Leenerbups. It really really really isn't like this forever. It's aggravating, but small small sips. It really gets better!!! Your band is telling you to slow down and let it learn something new. I felt the same way the doc explained. My body was learning something new and it had to figure it out. It didn't like the band, but now it all gets along just fine in there. Me, my band, my stomach. How are you doing now?

*hugs* Thanks Mini Me

Hi Kathy! I'm doing much better now. I have to take the smallest of sips and the Prilosec helped. I'm a little worried how I will get all the Fluid requirments in at that rate.

I hope I have not damaged anything in there.

When they say small sips, they mean SMALL SIPS. I thought I was sipping small.

Yeah, I thought I was sipping small, too. You know, the sip, sip sip, walk, walk, walk of post surgery? THAT sip is too big. Smmaaaallllll.

I can guzzle a 1/2 bottle of cold Water on an empty stomach now, so hang in there.

That's good to hear. I'm a guzzler too, which is what got me in trouble. I thought I was sipping compared to my usual gulps.

If you have to really take SMALL SMALL sips, just be sure to keep it up continuously. For sure, do not let yourself get dehydrated. For me, a straw helped, that way I could keep something going in constantly, but it was measured. Others were told NO straws due to more gas. I never had a problem, but the straw helped me to constantly sip. This too shall pass! Good luck!

Hey Leener, I just read through this thread. Dang girl, sorry you're having such problems. Sounds like things might be getting better now though, right? Sure hope so. You've gotten good adivce and are surrounded by such a great group of wonderful friends.

I'm guessing the bad pain you had after taking the medicine was from washing it down too much Water at one time. Now that you see its working, try to find some of those Prevacid Solutabs that dissolve under the tongue.

I'm thinking about ya girl. Keep us posted on how you're doing. *hugs*

Not only small sips, BUT a couple of things:

•at six days post-op, MOST doctors want us on Clear liquids. Protein drinks are NOT Clear Liquids. And unless there is some reason you'll get sick without them (for a few days), I'd lose the Protein Drinks and go back to clear liquids;

•and, once you irritate the stoma--the skinniest place between mouth and stomach--including the irritation of both surgery and eating, the swelling INCREASES and makes the next attempt at eating anything even more difficult. Again, the "cure" is to return to CLEAR liquids for a few days and then to SLOWLY start adding full liquids and then mushies, etc.

Leener, so sorry you are having these problems. I have had to wait 3 mo to clear up an ulcer before they would even consider surgery. Did you have an upper GI before banding? You poor thing. I didn't even know you could swallow Prevecid capsules this soon after banding. I have a lot to learn. Sure hope you feel better soon. Is someone with you? I sure hope so. It's hard to be alone and hurting. Get better soon.

I strongly disagree about giving up the Protein Drinks. No offense, GeezerSue. Leener, if you are to be on clear liquids then try Nature's Best Zero, ready to drink Protein drinks. You need that protein more than ever now. It promotes healing and fights infection. Check with your doctor tomorrow to see exactly how much protein he wants you to be getting. If its less than 60 grams from the get-go, I'll be very surprised.

I'm in the middle on the protien drinks. Going a few days without them certainly wouldn't hurt, especially if the doc said clear liquids. Hydration is more important than protien, and unswelling the band area is the biggest hurdle to jump right now. But, if you can get some protien powder into some clear liquid, it sure helps with energy, healing and all around feeling better. You need your protien! How are you doing today, Leener?

Hey all, Feeling better, but still having discomfort in my stomach. It really hates anything other than Water. Today's hurdle will be (agaian) getting the Prilosec down without that pain. Yesterday my boyfriend was here, but today I am alone.

I'm supposed to be on full liquids now, which per my surgeon's instructions is protien drinks. I am drinking a powdered soy in milk. But if you gals honestly think I should do clears, I will. I have a clear protien drink. The only thing is, I can see myself being swollen for a while, and I have to get to full liquids at some point, right?

I am also wondering if it's okay to start drinking metamusil? I can feel my bowels hurting from lack of Fiber.

The only thing is, I can see myself being swollen for a while, and I have to get to full liquids at some point, right?

I've known people who were hospitalized and put on IV fluids for days just to get through the swollen stoma part. You are in no hurry. People survive for a long time on Water only...hydration is your most critical issue at this point.

I am also wondering if it's okay to start drinking metamusil? I can feel my bowels hurting from lack of Fiber.< /div>

Probably not. Probably you just need more Water. Mostly water and other clear liquids. Tea, popsicles, maybe some Jello or broth. Be VERY careful about laxatives. Do you live near Jamba juice or some such place? Get a fruit drink with a Protein boost or two if you feel tired or worn out..

~~~~~~~

From PubMed:

1: Obes Surg. 2004 Aug;14(7):1022-4.

Related Articles, Links

Bolus obstruction of pouch outlet by a granular bulk laxative after gastric banding.

Herrle F ,Peters T ,Lang C ,von Fluee M ,Kern B ,Peterli R .

Department of Surgery, St. Claraspital, Basel, Switzerland.

BACKGROUND: Constipation is an occasional problem after gastric banding and is often caused by insufficient liquid intake. As a result, the use of laxatives is widespread in such patients. Depending on the laxative, improper use can lead to bolus obstruction above the band, as occurred in this case.

Case Report: A 59-year-old female with uncomplicated laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding presented 2 months after surgery with food and liquid intolerance and dysphagia after ingestion of a granular bulking laxative. Despite deflating the band, the bolus could not be washed out. Endoscopic extraction was required, revealing a 4x2 cm bolus of the laxative and a small compression ulcer.

DISCUSSION: Patients not complying with nutritional recommendations after gastric banding may have insufficient liquid intake and, consequently, constipation. Under these conditions, the use of a granular bulking laxative entails the risk of esophageal obstruction above the band.

CONCLUSION: Nutritional counseling after gastric banding should include the recommendation of liquid intake of at least 1.5 l/day. If constipation occurs, osmotic or paraffin oil laxatives should be used instead of bulking laxatives.