Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Week Post Op - What Is This Pain??

I was banded on Aug. 3 and each day is getting better and better - it helps to read this site!

However.........I have this area a few inches to the left of my belly button that I often experience a sudden, very painful "stinging or pulling" sensation when I attempt to move from side to side in bed or simply stand up from sitting. I've also felt it when I've bent down to pick something up. It is very painful and feels like I'm pulling something inside. It's like a terrible stinging sensation, takes my breath away, then passes after a while. Could it be a nerve, muscle or where the port is attached? I feel as though it's getting worse as I heal and these normal movements seem to "tweak" it and bring it on. I have my post op appt, next week but will call today to see what the dr. thinks. Has anyone experienced this??? Thanks for your input!

I was banded on Aug. 3 and each day is getting better and better - it helps to read this site!

However.........I have this area a few inches to the left of my belly button that I often experience a sudden, very painful "stinging or pulling" sensation when I attempt to move from side to side in bed or simply stand up from sitting. I've also felt it when I've bent down to pick something up. It is very painful and feels like I'm pulling something inside. It's like a terrible stinging sensation, takes my breath away, then passes after a while. Could it be a nerve, muscle or where the port is attached? I feel as though it's getting worse as I heal and these normal movements seem to "tweak" it and bring it on. I have my post op appt, next week but will call today to see what the dr. thinks. Has anyone experienced this??? Thanks for your input!

well, you just had (major surgery) and the stomach muscles were cut. and i would think it is your body healing. and the scar tissue is (maybe) starting to form around your port. i would assume that is why you are feeling that. i felt it myself. mine never stung as yours said but i could def feel some discomfort.i am sure it will get better as the days pass.

when i stood, i felt the sensation of pulling (downward also). i think it is perfectly normal. but if in doubt, call your doctor for reassurance. congrats on your surgery and your soon to be success :) all the best.

Thanks - makes sense and your comment about the scar tissue forming justifies why it seems to be getting worse. It's attaching and pulling as I heal - :) - Thanks for the rationale!! Looking forward to each day getting better and better.......and it is.

Thanks - makes sense and your comment about the scar tissue forming justifies why it seems to be getting worse. It's attaching and pulling as I heal - :) - Thanks for the rationale!! Looking forward to each day getting better and better.......and it is.

and one other thing.....if you move and it hurts (dont move that way) HAHA

it will get better. just healing. i had 5 incisions and well the sensations were weird but nothing painful. if it (hurts) that is when you call the dr. (my port was the most sensitive :)

yes, for many weeks i experienced soreness and pulling in the muscle where my port sits. Im over three months post op now and sometimes i still get a sore episode.. i dont concern myself about it . Everything seems to be working well..i think the fact that the port is implanted into muscle means that there will be some discomfort for a while. its certainly a different sensation to the other incision sites I had.

I had the same thing and it lasted 6 weeks. Now is it slowly going away and I hardly notice it now. Not only are muscles moved about and stiches put into muscle, a foreign body is now in your body- it takes a while for your body to adjust and realized everything is fine.

OHH this is so normal! I am 2 weeks post-op and still swollen,bloated,and have discomfort. I especially have bareable pain near my port side. Its still sensative to the touch, but every day its getting better ....

Hang in there!!

I'm feeling the same way I had my band put in Aug 1st. It's nice to no I'm not alone. I have pinching, sharp pain, stinging Avery so often. Especially around my incision and port. I had the spider done so this pain is around my belly button and port. I guessing this is normal? I hope you have a happy healing! :)

I haven't felt anything like that, but you have to remember that the swelling in that area is pretty intense and you body is now try to figure out what to do with this foreign thing that will not be leaving. I also was banded on Aug 3 and I still have a some swelling in that area and its starting to itch as the surgical sites start to heal.