Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugery Done Oct, 2011. Looking For Support And Ideas

My name is Jose. I am 55, living in the San Francisco Bay area. I am new to the site. I have been reading some of the postings here. they have been very helpful.

I had my surgery last Oct, 2011. I My weight started at 242lbs, I am diabetic (not on insulin, just taking a lot of pills). I have been losing weight - am down to 210lbs.

I was reading posts here that some have lost 50-100 lbs within a year and others that had band done years ago and only lost a few lbs. I was wondering what makes each one different, no exercise/over exercise, eating right foods/not eating right foods.

I am still getting adjustments(fills) every two to four weeks. Dr. states he is still looking for that "sweet spot", Green area. I have made strides with my intake, from wolfing down to chewing slowly and in smaller portions. I do not eat any Breakfast, except a Protein drink. Later in the day, 9am-12noon, I would eat 2 eggs scrambeled. Then every two or three hours Protein Bars. In the evening my wife and I would have a very lite dinner. Except on weekends we would have a light Breakfast and nothing until eve, which is also light.

I guess I am happy with the way I am losing, but wondering if this is correct or am I doing something wrong. I am going to gym 2 times a week and walking 2-3 miles during lunch at work.

Hope I did not bable along here. Just looking for advise and guidance. Who knows, I might be doing everything right.

Welcome! I also was banded Oct 7, 2011. Your weight loss sounds pretty good. I do have a few suggestions that have benefited me...

I also only have a Protein shake for Breakfast (7-8am), mainly because my band is super tight in the AM. I mix unjury unflavored Protein powder with my shake, so it more than doubles the Protein value and is over half of my daily required intake. lunch is 12-1pm and is usually a lean cuisine that is under 200 calories and maybe a piece of blue bell light cheese. dinner is anytime from 330-5pm and is a SMALL salad (lettuce is not my friend) along with a veggie and either a chicken breast or some type of fish. I don't do any Snacks and Protein Bars are really only good for the protein. You'd be better off getting it from the source (meat, eggs, etc) or from a good Protein Powder that you could mix in with something. I lay completely off the rice, Pasta, tortillas and potatoes. That has made a world of difference for me.

It sounds like your exercise plan is good, maybe your body has just adjusted and needs to be pushed a little harder. If you normally walk and take 30 min, start making the same walk in 20 min. Pick up the pace. Same with your work outs. Also, make sure you are taking all your required daily Vitamins. My last suggestion would be that if you aren't staying full for 4-5 hrs after any meal that is about a cup in size, you may need a fill.

Thanks for the question! I love sharing my story and progress. Good luck!

Have a visit with your bariatric nutritionist. Even if you have to pay out of pocket it's worth it. A nutritionist can nail down the cause in no time and make recommendations to help you get back on track. We can make shotgun suggestions but can't delve into what you are eating and not eating?

He/She will ask you what you eat, calories in and calories burned. It should be simple math. You need to burn more calories than you consume. But a nutritionist can help you.

RE: other reasons for not losing. There are so many reasons for this. Other health issues such as reflux, diabetes, kidney stones, gall bladder removal, pregnanacy and the list goes on, can cause some patients to not follow the rules. And of course, the biggest reason some lose very little or none at all, is, so many people just cannot change their eating habits. They go into this thinking the band will do it all, and of course that's far from the truth. It takes hard work and a change in what and how you eat.

tmf