Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just To Keep You Up To Date

Hello everybody,

I know it's been awhile since I've been on here, and I haven't let you know what is going on with my mother. I HAVE MISSED YOU ALL! You may remember that I wrote a couple of weeks ago about her having a rare kind of cancer, and that she was going to be going to Duke University Medical Center. I really don't remember what I had exactly told you all, but I'll try to let you know what has happened since then.

The kind of cancer that Mama has is Paget's Disease of the Vulva. With this, there is a 20 percent chance of the cancer being somewhere else too. My Nanny passed away February 3, 2005 of kidney cancer, so we were all concerned about that. When she went to Duke for the first time to see the gynecological oncologist, they went ahead and scheduled her surgery and did some tests, one of which was a urine test. It came back with atypical cells, degenerative cells, and blood in it. Let me just say that I was a basket-case. But, God helped me through it and gave me strength like he always does. So, since it came back like that, she had to have CT scans done of her kidneys and bladder, in addition to her uterus and ovaries. She had these done on Thursday, March 2nd. On Friday, they called us to tell us that her scans were clear! There was no cancer anywhere (besides where they already knew.) but they told us that she did have a very bid kidney stone. It is so big that it has to be surgically removed, and since they would have to go through her back, she wouldn't be able to have this surgery at the same time as the first one. It is such a blessing that her scans came back showing only a kidney stone. God has really blessed us through this whole thing.

Mama had her surgery this past Wednesday, March 8th. She had several procedures done during one operation. She had a vulvectomy to remove the Paget's Disease. Then, instead of testing for further cancer, she had a complete hysterectomy, including her uterus, ovaries, and everything. So, instead of putting her through a bunch of tests, they checked everything after they took it out. There was a pathologist in the surgery who "examined" everything that they removed. He said that it didn't look like there was any cancer anywhere else, but they sent it off anyway just be sure. We found out yesterday that there was NO cancer anywhere else. We are so happy about that. We also found out though that they do not think that they got all of the Paget's though. During the surgery the doctor took as much tissue as she possibly could without taking, as my Mama says, "the parts a woman doesn't want to be without." But, it seems that the cells reached even further than they thought. So, they are going to monitor her very closely to see if it grows or whatever. If it does, it would mean more surgery. God has truly blessed us though, and I am so thankful. He is wonderful.

Please keep her in your prayers. I can't tell you how much it means to me that you are praying for her and our family.

Denika Menis

I am so sorry you are going through this! I will pray for you and your family ....

Keep us posted on how you are doing...

Wow Denika. Thanks for the update. We were missing you here on LBT but it sounds as if you have your hands, and heart, pretty full. We'll be praying. (((hugs)))

Sorry to hear you and your mom have gone thru so much! My prayers are with you and your mom for a speedy recovery...God Bless!!

I know how difficult all this is for you and your family. I will send my prayers for your strength and her healing. Hugs, Cindy

I will lift you, your mother, and your family up in prayers. He is greater than anything we can face on this earth!! It is a mixed blessing that she doesn't have that evil stuff anywhere else, but I do pray it doesn't grow. We lost my mother-in-law to ovarian cancer...it will be 3 yrs in May. Keep your eyes on HIM!! :)

Wow Denkia - I am so sorry for everything that you are going through. Like Melissa said maybe the worest if over now and the road to healing is on it's way. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything you need please let us know. No matter how far you are it's close enough to bring you something.

Prayers are with you!!!!

Ours prayers go with you and your family! Please let us know if there is anything whatsoever we can do to help! God bless you all!