Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Connection W/ Past And Weight Problems?

Hi, I was just watching The Hypochondriac Hour, ie. Dr. Oz. , Dr. Keith Ablow, Oz's resident Psychiatrist, and they had Super Morbidly Obesity as the topic. One group of women claimed to enjoy, have pride in, embrace and add to their weight, these women did not want help. The other group, were women who claimed they no longer wanted to be super morbidly obese (SMO) for physical and psychological reasons, and wanted help.

I, personally am on the side of the fence that wants help. I steadily gained weight and have kept it on since 1992. I am 46 and SMO. Five years ago, I was banded. It, rather "WE" lasted a year and I jumped off the bandwagon. Three years ago, I built an excellent working relationship with my therapist. I decided to jumpstart my Banded life, and have been doing very well!

Dr. Ablow struck a raw nerve with me. He asked all of the women to close their eyes and think about the first person who told them they were worthless. I knew where he was going with this, as I come across it often in therapy. I did what Dr. Ablow said, closed my eyes, thought about what he said, and started to bawl. I knew the answer.

I'm tackling my weight issues with the band, changing my entire lifestyle, exercising, choosing healthy smaller portions of food, etc. But I am, and probably always will fight the emotional pain that feeds my obesity issues. I have a list of reasons why food is a drug for me and I uncover more reasons as I continue therapy. It is a bad drug, this relationship with food. I'm in recovery.

I got over the "excuses" as to why I shouldn't, wouldn't and/or couldn't lose weight. But I struggle with my [abusive] past and the negetivity that made me who I am today. I'm turning the tides...I'm taking control.

I'm not seeking advice, or sympathy, or criticism...

What I am wondering is if anyone here can connect their past, be it good or bad, to their weight problems. Well, I'm not "wondering" so much as knowing that there is a connection for some people. And in realizing that, I hope to engage a conversation about that connection in the hopes of learning a bit about ourselves, and possibley helping others with our stories. I'm game.

Maybe no one will respond...but someone will think.

excellent post my friend.

well i can relate in my own way.

i gained weight because i overate foods that were not good for me

it made me feel good, it didnt laugh at me, it didnt say mean things

it was there when i needed it. always ready

my past is with me always

i have alot of hurts i cant forget and wont forget

but i cant let it control me

to continue to eat and get bigger and more depressed means it wins

i dont want it to win

my past is past

i have today

i intend to make the best of it/

Wow! This post is... I'm not sure. I can't relate. No one ever told me I was worthless...just the opposite. I had affirmation from both of my parents (although divorced, but amicable) about how proud they were of me, even though I never did anything exceptional or even special. I've always associated my food issues with happiness. It's kind of like the saying, I don't drown my sorrows; I Celebrate my happiness. I equate fun, food, family. I guess we all have different issues... but they're all still issues.