Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie to the board

Hi ya'll!

I wanted to stop in and say "hi" and get some questions answered.

I have gone to the Presbyterian Hospital and Dr Bauman's Lapband seminars.

I have decided to go with Dr Bauman. I have filled in the online patient registration tonight. How long does it take for them to call me for an appt? Should I call them to get an appt?

I have had recent blood work, but what other tests besides the upper GI do you have to do before surgery?

Thank you guys so much for any info you have!!!

Hiya Wavydaby! I'll let the folks in your local area answer your specific questions.. but I just wanted to say Hello! and welcome to LBT. :)

Most doctors require a minimum of a psychological and nutrition evaluations before they submit to your insurance. They may request more if they feel another test may help justify coverage. For example, I have a history of mild sleep apnea, and it had been a number of years (and pounds) since I was last tested. It made sense for me to have a sleep study.

They often require additional test pre-op, like an EKG & chest x-ray. These vary somewhat between doctors and hospitals.

There are a few here that have been to Dr. Bauman; I'll leave whether or not you should call his office to them to answer.

I hope this helps? Anyway Welcome! There's a group of us in the Charlotte area who meet every month or so for a meal. For now, our next meeting is on Saturday, April 1st. 9 a.m. for Breakfast. The exact location is still being determined. (It's usually lunch, and we usually rotate between TGI Friday in the University area or Ruby Tuesday's on Arrowood Dr. off I-77.) Please feel free to join us!

wavydaby...Welcome!!!! We are so happy you are here.

Karen answered the questions pretty good. There are a few of Dr. B's patients on here so they will be able to answer your questions I would think.

We love for you to join us April 1rst if you can. There is anywhere from 6 10 of us depending on the month.

On a side note - there is going to be a seminar @ CMC on Monday not sure where or what time. I will be there if you would like to come and sit and listen...If you are interested let me know and I will get you the info.

Hi Wavy,

I wanted to let you know i had rny surgery with dr b last month.

His office will provide you all the information once they process your request. I really like that they use an online system and that you can access it once you have a consultation.

I did read that somewhere their consults were booked out until May.

I guess it's not that far away. They will give you the names and numbers of all the professionals you'd need to meet with for prereq testings and stuff. They will also list all the blood work required. Be Prepared this is alot of blood work. They rely heavily on your primary dr being the partner in this and doing alot of this work.

I know Kim has recently moved to a new postion with dr v, you might want to give them a looksee too, she's really nice. I think she could sell the lap band to anyone. Except me. I was originally a lapband inquirier but I decided against it because i didn't want to do the fills and have a port sewn into my side. Personal, preference, I know that the costs are varied depending on which dr's office you use. Dr B has some upfront fee's that I do not beleive the other dr's charge.

Good Luck with your decision. Yes these ladiaes are nice.

Hey girl! So glad you decided to stop by. With Dr. Bauman, be sure to watch your spam filter for the intial reply fromt he website registration. I missed mine, its actually how I ended up with Dr. V origianally...I thought Dr. B's office never responded. I had to have a psych evaul, a nutrional consult (nutrition is $500 for a year of once a month appointments following surgery) You pay $100 a visit until its payed, just made my last payment last month. Of course you could pay it upfront too if you want. I also had a upper gi to check for h pylori bacteria...which I had...so I had to take antibiotics and then take a breath test to make sure it was gone (it delayed me a bit). I had to have a psych evaul...which I tricked them into thinking I was sane. Had all the blood work. I don't think dr. B does a fitness evaul before surgery...you do one six weeks out.

Actually I'll look and see if I still have my checklist of pre op stuff from Dr. B's office...i'm such a pack rat. If I do I'll try to get you a copy...would say I'd have paul inter office mail it...but he won't be there for two and half weeks. You really should come to the April 1st meeting. You can see we still eat normal food and you can get the inside track in person on what its like to have a band....even what its like to wait for the band.

Oh look I found the dr. b list....

....register on exemplo....they will give yout he address at Dr. b's office

.....must have attended lap band seminar or watched lap band video

.....Comprehensive history and physical for surgical clearance from your primary care physician.

......Blood work (h pylori (which they can do at dr. B's office)

CBC, Comprehensive chemistries, fe studies, TSH, PTH, Vit D 25 OH, B-12)

......Upper GI

.....Psychological Evaluation

......nutritional counseling

......pap smear and results within the last year

......females over 40 a mamagram

They must have all the above consultations and tests in your chart and reviewed by Dr. bauman before they can schedule your surgery as well as get approval from insurance company. (united health care came back in like a week for me.)

They have certain docs they like to work with...that knows their proceedures. I'd already had all of this done before I first meet with them so it was no problem. Try not to gain any weight after you start with them...because they dont' make you do a major liquid diet before surgery...unless you are bad like me and gain in the months leading up to surgery.

Looks like I'm going to need the Vitamin profiles, the upper GI and the shrink appt. I had some of the blood work done last week when I got the list that Presby wanted me to have done. They didnt want the vit. profiles or the 25 OH draw. I'll be making the appt for the consult and I will let you know when my appt is. I heard its like already out to May. Yikes. I have nooo patience. Oh well

Hey wavydaby. Just wanted to hop in and say Hey. I'm part of the Charlotte group so I hope to meet you in person! May will be here before you know it. You'll feel lots better when you actually have a date. hang on, and git 'er doooone!

I know Kim has recently moved to a new postion with dr v, you might want to give them a looksee too, she's really nice. I think she could sell the lap band to anyone. Except me. I was originally a lapband inquirier but I decided against it because i didn't want to do the fills and have a port sewn into my side. Personal, preference, I know that the costs are varied depending on which dr's office you use. Dr B has some upfront fee's that I do not beleive the other dr's charge.

Good Luck with your decision. Yes these ladiaes are nice.

Thanks Jennifer - I don't mean to sell the band but I just love mine so much!!! You are right it does take alot more after care...but it's worth it to me. Now it's going to be easy your right since I will be working there starting monday.

Someone told me a long time ago that there were some lapbanders that meet at the Wachovia CIC location.. anyone an evil banker?

I actually use to work for Wachovia up until Wed. I worked uptown and CIC some. jttaurus I think still works out there....but remember she opted for RNY...but she is still a GREAT person and a joy to talk to....

wavy - i work at cic but don't tell anyone, i like to keep my work private, especially because I have some issues.

Good Luck though. Kim - good luck tomorrow. I know being a patient will make you a better office person. Having been through the whole process.

As the weeks progress on, I'm still glad I made RNY my decision. The whole expense and fill thing is enough to make me loose sleep. I worry about $$ all the time.

I got my final figures from UHC for surgery - I will post them tomorrow. I left the sheet at work. For what North East Medical charged it was nuts.

I got sheets with holes in them, this is nasty to me, and I didn't get one bite to eat. I think there should be a discount especially when you cannot eat.

So, I'm back to work and things are busy. We are still with only 1 car and I don't know how were supposed to get gym time in from 6-9pm I will never see my daughter. I went to the gym yesterday and my heel is hurting really bad on my foot. My wonderful husband is like so, I need to buy some good quality athletic shoes for using on the treadmill. I'd invite you to join me at the gym, but i zone out really bad and can only focus on walking without flying off the treadmill.

I hope every get's out of their funk. Maybe when Spring comes the funks will be long gone. My funk is I have nothing to wear. Boo Hoooo. My chunkie belly is still swollen and very sore too in the incision sites. WHy does healing take so long?

Holes in the sheets?? Eww, now that is gross.

I work out at curves, a regular gym does not appeal to me. I will be at the April 1st get together.

I will be out of my funk when the stupid weather decides what temperature it wants to be.

wavy, I just rejoined Curves...just my style! I'm working out tonight, but I work out at the Denver Curves, quite a hike from Charlotte! Can't wait to meet you on the first!

Hey, Kim, will you post a thread with the official time and place? Did we ever decide on IHOP for sure? I think it's best, since we can order from the kids menu. I've never tried ordering from the kids menu at Bob Evans. We should go with what we know. Anyhow, thanks!

Jen, hang in there, your surgery was a bit more complicated than banding, so give your body a chance to catch up to itself! You are doing great, I'm so proud of you!!!!!!